Ship Design Advice

Reaction score
    Anyone have some tips on how to make your ship look cooler. What are some of the things you guys have done to make your ships look sick. I attached a picture of the ship I'm currently working on. Its a battle carrier. How can I make it better.

Also The fighter for it isn't very impressive but it can be double docked because of its shape. Basically you get twice the number of ships in as little space possible. So far the carrier can fit at least 24 I might add some more docking areas under the ship to bring the number up. I like the concept of having a carrier that releases a swarm of fighters. So I might also remake the fighter at some point to give in more punch and swag.

Attachments

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    There are a few things that have helped me lately.

1) Pick a few colors and try to be consistent with them. Two helps but three is even better.
    2) Make sure sections mean something. Why are they there? Are peoples eyes drawn to each section individually?
    3) Greebling adds depth. Using slabs really helps add depth to things, and generally a lot of character.
    Greeble - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reactions: Stripes

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Welcome for the word! Took me awhile to come across it as well!

Reaction score
    Good Luck, then!

PS: Man, this greeble word is fantastic. Now I can say things like:
    --It's mostly ok, but it still needs some greebling.
    --Experienced greebler needed!
    --I spent one week greebling and greebling and in the end it's not greebled enough.
    --Anyone knows some cool greebling video tutorials?
    --I'm afraid you are overgreebling it. The eye has no place to rest.

Reactions: nightrune
    Reaction score
    Noooo! Don't give in to the greeblenauts! Having some sections of smooth, clean hull is NOT automatically a bad thing.
    Looking at the pic, I'd say your hull already has plenty of depth/variety. If it were me, I'd look into adding some accent lighting; perhaps glowing windows or exhaust ports of some kind. And/or you can cover up some of the plain sections either with functional turrets or decorative "fake functional" features like radio antennas, radar dishes, maintenance hatches, etc.
    As for the fighter, would it still fit if you covered up the exposed systems with #3 slabs? Otherwise, again, accent lighting makes everything look cooler!

Anyway, based on that pic I'd say you should be giving advice on cool looking ships, not getting it. I look forward to seeing the finished product!

Reaction score
    I plan to add more color for sure. I might mix in some different armor types and such.
    Noooo! Don't give in to the greeblenauts! Having some sections of smooth, clean hull is NOT automatically a bad thing.
    Looking at the pic, I'd say your hull already has plenty of depth/variety. If it were me, I'd look into adding some accent lighting; perhaps glowing windows or exhaust ports of some kind. And/or you can cover up some of the plain sections either with functional turrets or decorative "fake functional" features like radio antennas, radar dishes, maintenance hatches, etc.
    As for the fighter, would it still fit if you covered up the exposed systems with #3 slabs? Otherwise, again, accent lighting makes everything look cooler!

Anyway, based on that pic I'd say you should be giving advice on cool looking ships, not getting it. I look forward to seeing the finished product!
    Yeah I'm not to into greebling because I like my FPS to be high. I was planing on adding more color and armor and since its a battle carrier it will have plenty of turrets. I like the look of your battleship I can see what you mean by adding lights. I will definitely try that.

As for the fighter sadly no it is designed to be as compact as possible because its emphasis is solely on numbers. I did make a new one though that I plan to use in the future.

Hopefully I can finish the ship soon. Cures you school!

Thanks for the help