Read by Schine Several buttons in one same block, is this possible?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I really love logic, and I like the buttons, but sometimes I think that a whole block for a single button is kinda... big. So I was thinking, could it be possible to make something more similar to a realistic control pannel? With several small buttons? I think it would add more depth to bridges, control rooms, fighter cockpits where space is limited, situations where resources are scarce, etc.

It doesn't really have to be super-realistic, that's a matter of taste of course, it could be even be two big buttons for example.

But I guess the real question here is if this idea is even possible without turning the game upside down... (schema ?)

Please support my other suggestions if you like them:

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I wouldn't put 3 in a row though.
    More like a 2x2 or even a 3x3 square.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    It would be pretty awesome, but as far as the game goes we don't have any precedent to support that it can even be implemented as is. Would be cool if it could come in different versions with more or less buttons, preferably in multiples of 3.

Reaction score
    If I recall correctly blocks only have one bit assigned to activation state. witch means the block as a whole can only be on or off. multiple buttons on the same block would need multiple bits to indicate witch button was pressed. it would require a complete rewrite of the block handling system, and probably the logic system, to make such a thing possible.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If I recall correctly blocks only have one bit assigned to activation state. witch means the block as a whole can only be on or off. multiple buttons on the same block would need multiple bits to indicate witch button was pressed. it would require a complete rewrite of the block handling system, and probably the logic system, to make such a thing possible.
    You don't need all rotation bits for logic.

Reaction score
    You don't need all rotation bits for logic.
    Honestly I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. I didn't say anything about the rotation bits, just the activation one. I believe the activation bit is cannibalized for rotation in some blocks. It used to be possible to flip a wedge by activating it. but that was long before the logic system came into play.

Considering that it may be possible to reverse the process and use rotation bits for activation state. But again that would probably require a rewrite of the block system. multiple activation states would definitely require a complete overhaul of the logic system. I'm not against the idea on it's own merits. I just don't see it as feasible.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Honestly I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. I didn't say anything about the rotation bits, just the activation one. I believe the activation bit is cannibalized for rotation in some blocks. It used to be possible to flip a wedge by activating it. but that was long before the logic system came into play.

Considering that it may be possible to reverse the process and use rotation bits for activation state. But again that would probably require a rewrite of the block system. multiple activation states would definitely require a complete overhaul of the logic system. I'm not against the idea on it's own merits. I just don't see it as feasible.
    There's a total of 5 bits for rotation. If the logic blocks only need to rotate six ways (one angle per block face instead of four), then that only takes 3 bits out of the original 5 bit group. The other two bits can be used for activation without a lot of coding, so now you have room for two buttons. Maybe three if the third button is a "select all/select none" switch for the other two.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    To build on jayman38's idea you could have multiple activation states by having button 1 make 1 pulse, 2 make 2 pulses, and so on. Leave it to the community to build a logic system which can distinguish between each number of pulses.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Doesn't really need a full rewrite. A Control Panel block could use a totally different system to store data, kind of like display blocks use currently. You could even make it so that you could type little labels above each button, and the buttons (which could be their own little models) could be linked to blocks using the marker beam, or a similar system (C and V) that Wireless Logic Blocks use currently.

However, if I'm correct then this would require larger-scale modifications and additions engine-wise than adding normal blocks for obvious reasons.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    2 bits can have 3 on states + 1 off state.

You could also sacrifice one HP-bit on low-hp blocks -- then you get 1 off and 7 on states |OR| 1 clock channel and 2 data channels for a serial bus connection |OR| the ability to access 3 different properties ((leave docked, eject || rotate || speed up / slow down ))

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    We can theorize all we want, but at the end of the day all we need is that someone of the dev team checks this ( schema AndyP ).

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    We'd need multiple inputs and outputs for this, rather than just the rudimentary single connection system we have right now.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    An interesting idea, I can definitely see a use for elevators and control pannels for use with the new rail stuff.

Will poke.

Reactions: Valiant70

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    How much HP do logic blocks have anyway? Because if we want, say, an 8-switch/8-button switchboard thing, all we need is a few bits from HP. (As long as Schema doesn't accidentally cause the block to take damage if we turn on our lights... :p)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Bump so this suggestion gets processed and gets one of dem lovely stickers.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The problem I see is not the number of buttons, but how to connect them to what they control. Currently we only have the whole C+V thing, so C would have to select a single button on the block's face. This would require a little recoding of the linking system, but no huge engine re-writes. Multiple button states can be stored in cannibalized HP bits as logic blocks have little HP. I'd say leave the rotation bits alone so we can have wedge-shaped panels or slightly-angled panels.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    How so? Major engine issues?
    Basically, how shall the player bind a specific button to a specific output? the engine only supports block to block connections, meaning we'd need some kind of splitter-block for the single outputs. Simply saying the n-th output is the n-th connection does not work, as AFAIK the last-added connection is not necessarily the last on the list.