Runtime Exception: Something went wrong initializing the universe

Reaction score
    I've had this and it seems like a player account registry problem, where the game cannot verify your SP playername to Starmade registry and world generation fails because of this. See if relinking your MP playername to the registry works (You'll need to have a valid playername and password for this). This worked for me when I was experiencing this problem.

Reaction score
    Hello,

I was trying to install dev build 0.200.188 first time in my notebook throught launcher. Successfully downloaded and installed. But when I was trying start new local game, error "We're sorry! Something went wrong initializing the universe!" appears.

Here is my log!

PC:
    Win 10 pro (64 bit)
    Intel core i3-4005U 1,70 ghz
    4,00GB RAM

Thank You for any help, wanna to test new power system.

Attachments

Reaction score
    This sometimes happens with release builds as well, so it's not a problem related to dev builds. Try relinking your account credentials from the "Online Play" menu and see if it helps. The account credentials can sometimes be desynchronized, and may need relinking, even if you're playing SP locally.

Reaction score
    • Tester
    And install the game in a place more unprotected place. For example c:\Starmade. Maybe user permissions on the desktop is interfering here.
    from the logfile ... i guess that is the error line that causes it.
    [2017-11-26 23:55:59] java.sql.SQLSyntaxErrorException: type not found or user lacks privilege: ID

Reaction score
    Well, first time I reinstall all of this in new directory C:/Starmade, downloaded the last dev build. But it crashes always when loaded, sending message about my intel graphic card needs newer driver (Checked this and intel sowtfare said everything is the newest as is possible). After some time always crashed with the same result.

After that I downloaded older version of dev build .188, relinked account through online play menu. But doesn't help, always the same result as before with "We're sorry...".

Interesting fact, I was able enter some online server with .188 dev build, but when trying respawn it freezed.

Any idea? Thanks

Attachments

Reaction score
    • Tester
    Hello again. I did ask Andy about this.
    You are using a too old universe for the build you are running.
    please remove the worlds and create a new one. that should make the game run again.
    (just clean everything from C:\Starmade\.\server-database\)

you have to save builds in an older version to a blueprint, if you want to reuse something from a old database.
    however ... once loaded in a newer version it will probably be corrupted for an older one. (so for that you would need the original backup)

Reaction score
    Hello again. I did ask Andy about this.
    You are using a too old universe for the build you are running.
    please remove the worlds and create a new one. that should make the game run again.
    (just clean everything from C:\Starmade\.\server-database\)

you have to save builds in an older version to a blueprint, if you want to reuse something from a old database.
    however ... once loaded in a newer version it will probably be corrupted for an older one. (so for that you would need the original backup)
    I think it will not work. The whole instalation on my PC is new, I haven't any blueprint/world, all of this is new :)

Reaction score
    • Tester
    a new install would create a "world0" and not a world "pokus" as it did in your logfile.
    you didnt by accident install an very old game version first and then upgradet it to the latest dev build ?

edit: forget it ... Dev build seems to be broken. current builds cant create a universe it seems

Reaction score
    a new install would create a "world0" and not a world "pokus" as it did in your logfile.
    you didnt by accident install an very old game version first and then upgradet it to the latest dev build ?

edit: forget it ... Dev build seems to be broken. current builds cant create a universe it seems
    "Pokus" was the new world i created for trying if it will work. But it is completely new.

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    0.200.193 had a fix for the world corruption.
    So it should indeed work again now.

Reaction score
    I realize that I am bumping an old thread, but the issue here is relevant to my problem.

I am running into the same problem with the universe not initializing. Did a complete re-install of the game and it worked for 1 playthrough on SP, then stopped.
    I have done a forced repair, and no resolution.
    I have deleted the chatchannels.tag file, no dice.
    I have deleted the catalog.cat file, no dice.
    I have done a re-install of java, to no avail.
    I have changed the Java from the bundled to my machine install, with no effect.

I am basically at my wits end on this one. I have the most recent log file for what happened. Though my knowledge of anything Java related is very limited, I could not find why the universe would not initialize.

I have my most recent attempt's logfile here. Hopefully, someone will be able to see the problem that I cannot.

*EDIT*
    Added another measure taken.

Attachments

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Tester
    Code:
    [2018-02-20 01:47:10] java.lang.NullPointerException
    [2018-02-20 01:47:10]     at org.schema.game.common.data.element.meta.MetaObjectManager.load(SourceFile:317)
    [2018-02-20 01:47:10]     at org.schema.game.server.controller.GameServerController.initializeServerState(SourceFile:1700)
    [2018-02-20 01:47:10]     at org.schema.schine.network.server.ServerController.startServerAndListen(SourceFile:369)
    looks like something in the inventory of the character that attempts to join ?? (wild guess here ;) )

you are able to create a new world and join .. right ?
    did you try to join with a different charackter name (new and clean inventory then )

Reaction score
    Code:
    [2018-02-20 01:47:10] java.lang.NullPointerException
    [2018-02-20 01:47:10]     at org.schema.game.common.data.element.meta.MetaObjectManager.load(SourceFile:317)
    [2018-02-20 01:47:10]     at org.schema.game.server.controller.GameServerController.initializeServerState(SourceFile:1700)
    [2018-02-20 01:47:10]     at org.schema.schine.network.server.ServerController.startServerAndListen(SourceFile:369)
    looks like something in the inventory of the character that attempts to join ?? (wild guess here ;) )

you are able to create a new world and join .. right ?
    did you try to join with a different charackter name (new and clean inventory then )
    Just went and tried to create a new world. Worked fine and I was able to load in.

Additionally, not sure how this happened, but making a new world got it so that I was able to get into my previous ones...

Very odd.

Thanks for the help!

Reactions: DukeofRealms
    Reaction score
    • Tester
    [2018-02-26 22:33:36] [SERVER] Warning using old way of loading Meta Items
    [2018-02-26 22:33:36] java.lang.NullPointerException
    [2018-02-26 22:33:36] at org.schema.game.common.data.element.meta.MetaObjectManager.load(SourceFile:317)

same thing again.
    sorry .. i have no idea other than the guess i already did.

Reactions: Ryuusei
    Reaction score
    [2018-02-26 22:33:36] [SERVER] Warning using old way of loading Meta Items
    [2018-02-26 22:33:36] java.lang.NullPointerException
    [2018-02-26 22:33:36] at org.schema.game.common.data.element.meta.MetaObjectManager.load(SourceFile:317)

same thing again.
    sorry .. i have no idea other than the guess i already did.
    It is quite frustrating. But, an even more frustrating, and quite interesting, thing has happened.

I tried to load up that universe again today (Dimension 23), and it loaded up! Woo! But...I was back at sector 2, 2, 2, my faction for homebase protection was gone, the next system over was fully explored, but nothing beyond that...it was like the game simply took the universe, randomized it, and spat me out back at the start...with starting resources. Station and ships were gone. Several million in resources gone...all on survival mode (I try and do play-tests in survival to see what they can improve on and so on).

I am basically giving up on this until they figure out what the hell is going on. Same error, but no idea as to what is causing it.

I narrowed it down to being part of 200.334, as I reverted back to 199.654 and launched a universe under that patch. Started up perfectly. Closed down, re-opened client and tried again. Launched just fine.

Kinda at my wits end on this one. lol

But, thanks for all of the help, SmilingDemon. At least I know it isn't something I did, but rather, something they probably screwed up.

Though, if I knew how to turn off the old way of loading meta items (I am assuming there is a new way, since the system recognizes an "old way") I might have more luck, hopefully without the play-test universe randomly resetting and going all weird.