PUSH/PULL DRIVES: Working as intended?...

PUSH/PULL "passive" effect workign as it should?

• Total voters

Napther

Grumpy builder of Kaiju Design Initiative
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    So, take a 100 mass and a 10,000 mass "block" and strap a 100% efficiency push drive to it. This number should be 1/2 the Hull Mass as blocks.

Upon activating the drives, both 100 and 10k mass accellerate at 10m/s/push tick

Now take a 50 mass ship and dock a 50 mass block to it. Drop the push drive to 25 blocks (This is 100% efficiency on the hull)

Now, that ship will accelerate at only 5m/s/push tick. This is in contradiction to every other effect in the game, which, when they say they are 100%, they ARE 100%. IE, the 60% ion bonus registers just the Hull-mass, but includes all turrets in its protection. 50% Overdrive ignores the docked entities, and allows the hull to reach a higher speed, etc etc.

I just find this behaviour strange; perhaps it only applies an acceleration to the main hull based on efficiency, and that is then deducted by towing along all the mass in turrets?...

Reaction score
    • Tester
    havnt checked yet .. .but from your description it sounds like it works as intended and all other samples are bugged !

Napther

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    havnt checked yet .. .but from your description it sounds like it works as intended and all other samples are bugged !
    Nuu, plz no touchy the Ion effect, I use far too many large and heavy turrets on my hulls that ill have to re-add ion on the Main for...

Either way, its just the odd one out, possibly due to the way its coded, but it acts as a nerf to larger ships trying to circumvent the currently awful thruster decay... therefore making smaller, lighter vessels a small advantage

Reaction score
    • Tester
    no ... its simply a game design question.
    you do not want to have a basic game mechanic change unprdictable all the time.

so if mass is the limiting factor ... then for all effects that are based on that it should be the same in any event.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    You need thrusters to increase the thrust to mass ratio. Last I heard push and pull on their own don't do it anymore when used as passives. >_> They'll still push and pull just not much faster than the ship core moves. That said sounds like you got some bugs too.

Reaction score
    What's the point of push/pull when they only bring you to small fractions of the server speed at their very best?

They seem like a feature that needs a thorough rework.

Last edited:

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    Best to dock shotgun beam push block in the engine and have it shove you forward. You do lose all control for a little bit but that makes things fun.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I'm pretty sure effects are supposed to account for total ship mass, including docked entities.

Reaction score
    Best to dock shotgun beam push block in the engine and have it shove you forward. You do lose all control for a little bit but that makes things fun.
    Thank you you've given my something to get me started for the day.

As far as acceleration goes I haven't done that much testing but push/pull seem to give you a big boost in one direction when compared to a normal thruster. I think its somewhere like 3/1 - 4/1 versus a single thruster block.

Reactions: Agame3
    Reaction score
    If you use a beam/cannon/pull turret docked to or in your ship with the turret facing aft but hitting the ship it will push your ship forward without the directional/rotational problems. I have used this technique to move asteroids, if a beam/cannon push turret is docked inside a bubble on the asteroid and able to freely rotate you can even steer the asteroid to where you want it just by aiming the turret the way you want to turn.

Last edited:
    Reactions: alterintel

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    If you use a beam/cannon/pull turret docked to or in your ship with the turret facing aft but hitting the ship it will push your ship forward without the directional/rotational problems.
    but when you use shotgun beam with everything hitting its like, free extra damage. And that is translated to extra movement.
    :)

Napther

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Well this quickly went into the Docked-Accellerator-drive-things that I wasnt referencing....

The main issue is that Push/Pull effect will reach an efficiency cap based on the hull mass and cannot be exceeded. If there are no docked entities then the ship always accellerates at 10mss/tick.

if you cut the ship in half, and dock it to itself, the ship is still the same mass, the drive is still 100% (/exceed the ratio needed), but now the ship only accellerates at 5m/s/tick because of the way the effect currently works.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Could you please explain further:? It sounds intriguing.
    So its basicaly like docked power reactors except instead of providing power it pushes you:?

Therefore could you move all thruster power to Rotional, and have 6 large docked push/pull engines hooked up to remotes:?
    Would it be better to use push or pull for this:?

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    Could you please explain further:? It sounds intriguing.
    So its basicaly like docked power reactors except instead of providing power it pushes you:?

Therefore could you move all thruster power to Rotional, and have 6 large docked push/pull engines hooked up to remotes:?
    Would it be better to use push or pull for this:?
    Well yeah even though its docked to the ship, it, like power supply, affects it. In this case by moving you.
    Howerver, if i remember correctly, you lose control of your ship for the duration of the burst, which means,if its not hitting near the center of mass you pick up some unwanted spin.

If i can get my starmade install working again i will look into it more

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Well yeah even though its docked to the ship, it, like power supply, affects it. In this case by moving you.
    Howerver, if i remember correctly, you lose control of your ship for the duration of the burst, which means,if its not hitting near the center of mass you pick up some unwanted spin.

If i can get my starmade install working again i will look into it more
    Maybe you want the spin though :)
    I guess if you could balance a ship right, and with enough docked 'engines' you could fly entirely without thrusters:?

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    I'd imagine for the sheer challenge of it. Much like how some video games are actually "simulators", with special controllers that even have a button/ignition switch for starting the tank/plane/big-stompy-warbot
    That Metaphor doesnt make sense in the context of a challenege, thats just in the pursuit of realism

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    If it were up to me, push/pull effect computers would be passive in the following manner:
    -When active, a push effect causes you to accelerate faster in the direction the computer is facing, and ONLY that direction out of the six possible ones (if you want an increase in two particular opposing directions, either use the Thrust menu adjustment thing or use two opposing effect computers).
    -When active, a pull effect causes you to decelerate faster when holding shift or whatever your "hold-to-stop" button is.

It may not be the best solution out there, but it would give them both use in a more meaningful way than they are currently set up (the effect computers alone that is, not when attached to weapons).