Power System Overhaul Proposal

Status
    Not open for further replies.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    I mostly like this. I'd put forward the idea that "conduits" should be a recycle of existing unused block like circuits.
    This would allow/force players to use various circuit types in a grouping for a higher power load connection.
    EG: a minimal reactor: no connections needed, a small reactor, connected via any one type, a medium via any 2 types, a large one any 3-4 types, a titanic scale one every type.

Additionally, this could alter circuits/charged circuits to be effectively the same block, but to become "charged" as they became "efficient" or needed.

It won't address "doom cubes" at all though, that will require completely separating ship boxdim from rotation penalty, possibly moving it over to pure mass.

Reactions: Stalker_HUN

EMC007

The guy who's always in way over his head
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Well, this looks like it's both going to be an amazing update and a massive pain in the ass in terms of ship refitting.

Hope they don't end up looking similar to space engineers reactors and are still just a special pattern or configuration of blocks.

Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Bear in mind the details of the system are up in the air. Things like what shapes to use, what blocks are needed, and numbers are still being speculated upon. This proposal is here to get your thoughts.

Reactions: Neon_42

Spartan4845

Master of Chimichangas and Star Trek Shells
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Suggestion: Minor modifications to cloaking, but this may allow cloaking of larger ships. To counterbalance give us some kind of ability to see heat, or ships that generate lots of heat.

This would allow large ships to cloak, but light up like a Christmas tree.

EDIT: You could also have heat shielding.

Also it won't be OP since with all the room we stand to gain everyone could have scanners, and not everyone would use cloaking since it already limits what you can do, eats room, and is easily seen through.

But It would be nice if my Defiant could finally cloak, lol.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Will there be a way to gauge one's heat level? Will we get an idea of how efficient our reactor designs are? Will the math be available to us?

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Bear in mind the details of the system are up in the air. Things like what shapes to use, what blocks are needed, and numbers are still being speculated upon. This proposal is here to get your thoughts.
    And you, sir, should be excited the most. Think of how it will benefit your EVE ship designs.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    YISS

More complicated "put parts together" mechanics has been one of the things that's kept me from throwing myself into this game.
    In my ideal starmade, this ideology would extend to weapons (barrels; magazines, etc), and all the guts between them (wire/power block to deliver power to all systems, exhaust pipes to rerout the ass-end of engines and weapons to the rear (or turbos).

Effectively, the system is complex enough to provide some constraints to the system's design; but not to the shape of the ship (ie there is a game to be made out of building said systems, as opposed to throwing in more xyz)

Reaction score
    I do not know if you know of Big Reactor mod from Minecraft but I feel you guys should take a look at it for inspiration on how to set it up, would add a lot of fun.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Wow i love this. Got so excited reading the text :D This will add a lot of imersion and make the system mechanic way more enjoyable. I always hated to fit the empty spaces of my ship with systems as I always tend to focus more on interior. This will combine both processes. Looking forward to it and I am curious what you guys will come up with to make this a reality

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think we can safely say #starmadecommunityrevival.

This is making so many people excited and im looking forward to it even though it will take months before we see the release.

Erth Paradine

Server Admln & Bug Reporter
    Reaction score
    The use of "reactor rod" in your writeup implies fission (e.g. nuclear power reactor) as the primary power source.

Are there plans to accommodate fusion (e.g. suns, antimatter, StarTrek, etc) as well? Fusion concepts could fit within this design, as you'd still need a containment system (e.g. magnetic or electrostatic confinement). The overall concept would provide for more power, in a smaller package, but also a more disaster-prone containment system. Modern approaches are largely pellet and plasma-based, no rods.

Reaction score
    Sounds interesting... will certainly bring a bit more strategy to ship design, which I like.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Copy paste ships will now be a reality. Put modules together like the IOS fallout game and it's all good!

Bogdan

Grand Master of OOB
    Reaction score
    Might I ask, to confirm, this will mean that all shield/thruster/power will have to be completely re-worked?

*Open to replies from community, not necessarily schine staff*

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Might I ask, to confirm, this will mean that all shield/thruster/power will have to be completely re-worked?

Most likely, yes. But in some cases you might be able to get away with simply reducing their block count.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Purchased!
    I have mixed feelings about this. While the current system is generally about getting a power system and then building a ship around it, this proposed method would appear sound in principle.

I'd like to think that for a while BOTH systems would work while people got things updated and then phase the old system out.

It would be cool to once again have templates of power systems that you can design, save and then paste into our designs. I have a 5x5x5 and a 11x11x11 cube design that I used to use but have found better ways since other updates made changes. Players could share these for others to use.

Stations might be different. The old Alpha Pirate station lost its teeth a while back due to power changes so unless these stations are being phased out completely they will need updating too!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Legacy Citizen 6

Depends on how far the reworks go. Personally I'd welcome similar put-together mechanisms for other systems, but this depends on if the Schine team think that's gonna fly.

Probably will be a mix of "core" systems which are complicated and have lots of room for people to design, and additional systems that function classically (how we know) which perform less important roles

Status
    Not open for further replies.