Personal Defense - Armor, Weapons, Boarding, Robots, and Medicine

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Plexdoors are a little boring and when you place a plexdoor next to a shipcore instead of jumping into the shipcore, the plexdoor closes. It would be cool if there could be a door that opens by sliding, it would look cool and it would look like a real ship with opening doors.

Reaction score
    I completely agree with the above, maybe not the whole boarding thing, but definitely the weapons part of it

Reaction score
    well a possibly solutions is to assign them to faction modules so only faction members/allies can open it, or make a new block to control doors like with weapons computer, so you can decide if you want a door public or not

Reaction score
    Personal weapons should be pitifully weak against ships and blocks in general. A rocket launcher is fine if it doesn\'t ignore shields.

Instead of a rocket launcher that ignores shields, how about a very slow zero-range cutting tool? Hull would be practically impervious and plexdoors would be weak. This would encourage people to find or make an entrance. If you\'re not going to come through a gaping missile hole then you should have to do this:

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    If the droids consept goes into the game there should be different types of droids, of course you would have the battle droids but there should also be mining droids, drop them on a planet or an asteroid with equipped salvage lasers and let them go. You could attach a plexstorage on their backs and what they mine goes into there. Another droid would be a repair droid with technobeams and such, with techno turrets and repair droids a hanger would look very awesome.

Mining droids

Repair droid

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    For that they would need that disintragrator block, place a few on a hull back away and shoot the block and there, instant hole.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Well, a repair droid would be redundant if we had self-repair autofunctions but if we don\'t get nanobots for our ships then it\'d be nice to have repair droids :P

A mining bot would be cool too, it detects ores and automatically digs to them, then it stores them in its inventory ready for you to access it. Maybe it can be programmed to put all the ores in the nearest plex storage, or a designated plex storage

Reaction score
    Does this entire thread not remind anybody else of FTL? That\'s not a bad thing though: I would love set fires on enemy ships, taking out their medbays and o2 generators. Something like engine computers that would need repaired if damaged. Add a whole new level of realism. Of course there can always be a gamemode similar to the current game that\'s not so hardcore.

Reaction score
    This idea is great! But, some griefers would go out and secretly take out a colonies O2 generators, and laugh as the colonists died slowly... D: I would hate that. There would also probably be people liking the old game, because the current version is much simpler, so maybe this could be a new gamemode system like this:

Gamemodes: Sandbox (regular game) Warfield (this stuff added)

And different servers would use these different gamemodes.

WARNING! The following info is very long. If you are afraid of your brain exploding, skip it.

Also, I think that along with premade weapons bought at the shops, I think that there should be a \"Crafter\" kind of like Minecraft\'s crafting table, which lets you select what you are building (weapon, armor, AI, other) and \"craft\" regular blocks into microblocks and back. It should also let you modify these things.

Maybe these microblocks could be used in place of the special weapon stuff, like to make a pistol you make AMC microblocks and generator microblocks, and instead of special firing mechanisms, just use the respective computer microblocks. And, to make a rocket launcher, there could be new blocks like Solid Rockets and Decoupler Blocks, which respectively are temporary thrusters that are activated and cant be shut down, and split something in two at the point of the block. The rocket launcher could be simply a micro missile CPU and missile arrays, or, more complexly, it could be a handle with a micro Decoupler Computer (That sets off decouplers) and a micro Solid Rocket Activator (That sets off all linked Solid Rockets), and a rocket made of a stick of micro Solid Rockets with a warhead of micro Disentegreators, and you activate the rockets thenn the decoupler to shoot the rocket, and rebuild the rocket to reload.

For \"crafting\" AI\'s, you would need a special Billy AI microblock (I used the name because everyone else does for the new soldier AI) to start off, and you could install weapons directly on it or give it seperate ones.

For \"crafting\" armor, a little model of the player would appear in the crafting module are and you would build off it. When you are done, (and you can add shields and everything in microblocks), you name it and it becomes an item. There would be special armor slots in you inventory, and you put the armor in those. The armor types would be separated into six groups: Exohelmet (helmet), Chest Armor, Gauntlets (arm+hand protection), Greaves (leggings), Boots, and Hybrid (combination of several). You can choose which type to start with, and for hybrids, you choose which armor tyes it will be of. Different armor types will only allow you to build over certain areas of the player model displayed. And no, weapons installed in these cannot be used.

The \"other\" type is just simple objects that when finished become items and you can place them. They can be up to a block and can be anything. Lamps, decoration, you name it, just craft it and place it.

Extra stuff: Visor Blocks (You can see through one side but not through the others, the ones that arent see-through can be colored, effectively making a sort of one way viewing area like sunglasses) For helmets and stuff

NOTE: Some of this stuff might be a little too complex/buggy/har to implement! It is not necessary, nor am I expecting much or any of it. I just thought I would get these ideas out here.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    There could be a module that controls the droids, like connecting cannons to the weapons computer, why not connect the droid cores to that module, when the ship\'s hulls are damaged you can go to the droid module (Billy AI Module) \"R\" click on it and put down the command to repair, then all of the droids will activate and move out of the ship and repair the ship. I wonder if there could be some sort of path they could follow, making go out in a single file and not all bunched up at the entrance, and once all of the repairs are done they go back to the path and back to their spots and deactivate. And the droids cannot go far from the module or they deactivate, so if you send them out and you get attacked by pirates and you take off, if the droids are outside they will most likely deactivate and just float there till you get them back

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    > secretly take out a colonies O2 generators, and laugh as the colonists died slowly

Faction blocks

Maybe we can have HUDs in the visor blocks

Reaction score
    Yeah, faction blocks would help, but some griefers are pretty persistent and could get through that by gaining the factions trust. I do like that idea for the HUD\'s in the visor blocks, too.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    > but some griefers are pretty persistent and could get through that by gaining the factions trust.

Not sure why you\'d earn a faction\'s trust just to get rid of some O2 generators, that can be replaced anyways :x

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Here are some ideas of how a weapon system could be implemented that would be very in line with the spirit of the game. Star-Made is about freedom, and I feel like the weapon system should mirror that by making everything modular in design. The player gets to decide what thier gun looks like, what it does, and how heavy it is.

The idea is that there would be a new block added: the Weapon Design Module. The player would press R and an interface with a grid would come up. At the top, a drop down menu would be available to determine what type of weapon this will be. The grid will change shapes depending on what is selected. For expample, A secondary weapon would be given less grid space than a primary weapon, and a melee weapon would be more elongated horizantally. Grenades could be modularly based, with added functions like \"limited player tracking\" or sticky proporties. See below for diagram:

Also available on this interface would be the ability to change module colors, so that different parts would still blend together. All of these parts can be crafted out of parts available in shops or found on planetary bodies or loot chests. Gun modules would be rare suprises for the player, and the more powerful/better a part is, the harder it is to make or find. This system would keep the game balenced, so that players who are new can create basic weapons for self defence, while advanced players can build weapon stockpiles and craft better weapons.

I do not feel like this is making a simple matter more complicated, just more fun. Everyone knows what a gun needs to function: A barrel, a handle/trigger, and ammunition. After that, each part would add functionallity/asthetics to the gun. This system lets even a beginner with no tutorial create weapons for basic functions. After they find more items, they can add things like a second output barrel, scopes, balencing grips. If they make an energy weapon, they can add power to it by adding charge modules or something like that. It might take a little extra work to put all this together, but it will make the game much more fun and add an intuitive system for the player to control.

Here is a little diagram of what I mean:

The armor system, while not quite as modular, should still be controlable by the player and increase creativity. Each section of the player model can hold ONE of the above mentioned items. Each item adds weight, which means that it is impractical to have all the \"biggest best\" items equipped. Space combat would make weight irrelivent unless the player chooses to activate a gravity module. In these cases the player could equip all the biggest items and larger guns, at the expense of orientation and control. I actually find my larger ship interiors difficult to navigate without the aid of gravity modules. Maybe its just me... oh well :)

Here items would help increase player defense, like a shield unit that deflects energy beams, or a balistic vest for projectile damage. Perhaps the shield would need the player to wear a energy recharge unit in the secondary weapon slot (belt) in order to recover from an attack. Keeping it balenced like this makes the player choose if they want to be heavy tank, with shields and large primary weapons, or a light unit with multiple guns or a melee sword... really the posibilities are endless. And that would just be in the core game. Imagine what modders could do with a system already implemented like this...

Hope you like this idea! I used a lot of what was already said on in the posts here, so i\'m sorry for not giving credit properly. I just wanted to combine the best parts into an actual working system schema might impement! Thanks!