Offline Ship Editor

Reaction score
    I downloaded a ship off of starmade.org which i wanted to customize. When i go on to SMedit the ship file does not appear. When i try to import it nothing happens. Older ships still load but new ones do not.

The ship i tried to get was this one. http://star-made.org/node/13968

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I got the .sment file and used stuffit archive manager to uncompressed the file. I got a folder like all other blueprints. I put the new folder \"Assault Carrier\" into the blueprints folder and launched SM and it shows there. I quite that app and opened SMEdit and used the OPEN menu and saw it in the list and it opened right up. strange that it did since it has all the attached stuff and weapons. So you need to expand the file.

nice ship.

Here are some snapshots.

Reaction score
    I\'ve gotta say, I\'m loving SMEdit. Not quite as much as I love MCEdit, but it is very handy nonetheless. I can\'t imagine how much work and frustration it is to keep up to date, but I do appreciate the effort! Importing .obj files FTW!

One thing I did want to mention though - adding an image to the hull seems to convert all blocks to standard hul cubes, replacing all wedges and corners. Or is it an overlay? Tbh, i didn\'t look that closely. I just noticed that it was not quite working as I would have expected. (by recolouring the existing hull blocks)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yep, looks like the code replaces ALL blocks with colorized hull blocks. Both for paint and text.

I\'ve updated it to only replace hull blocks, and to maintain them if they are wedges or corners. The orientation should be preserved too. Please test and let me know if it works.

Reaction score
    It works perfectly now. That\'s fantastic. I hope it wasn\'t a total pain in the butt for you. Mucho Gracias! Keep up the good work. :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    It was completely trivail. A silly oversight on my part. As soon as you mentioned it I knew exactly what was wrong. Thanks for raising it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hey Jo, off topic a second, have you checked out Space Engineers? Looks kick. I can only imagine the utility you would come up with for this game. (i wonder if the code is Obfuscated)

I still love MC and SM but this might be a huge upgrade in the WOW category. I am going to get a copy soon. Lucky I have both Mac and PC in the house. :)

Have a great holiday

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    A few people have mentioned Space Engineers. I had a quick look before, and it looked interesting, but I really didn\'t want to dilute the free time I have between two games. But enough people have mentioned it now (and I\'m a bit depressed at the thought of having to decipher obfusticate code again) that it might be worth a look.

I just shot off an e-mail to the developers of Space Engineers to see if they are supportive of 3rd party tool developers. I\'m hoping they can do a non-commercial license that lets me develop not-for-profit tools and protects their intellectual property. Or, even better, a NDA program where I can actually get to see their source code. We\'ll see how they respond.

And, in complete fairness, I\'ve also just send a very similar request to Schema. If he is willing to be even a tiny bit cooperative, I can probably do twice as much with SMEdit. We\'ll see how he responds.

Reaction score
    If I could make a little request. Could you include an option that makes the width of the stripes increase or decrease as they go along the ship?

Something like this / / / ///. Or an option that the stripes are only in the back of the ship?

Regardless of your answer thanks for your work with smedit.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    In the meantime, two suggestions.

1) If you select a portion of the ship, it will only draw stripes on that portion

2) You can use ombre to do a fade from one color to another for a similar effect.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hey Jo

I hope your Thanksgiving was especially stuffing, OH! Pun intended. :)

Here is a feature request for you: (well for us really,) Painting on color Light blocks.

Right now, I paint with a color I am not using at all, like purple, I than replace that block with the Light block I want, using Replace Blocks.

Is there a way to add a check box on the paint palette to switch from Hull to Light? oh, oh ,and Glass, if possible?

This would be a few steps less then using Replace Blocks. Also we could make quick alterations on the lights, windows, like we can with Hull colors.

Thanks a terabyte

Miconu

Reaction score
    Plugin: Import/Schematic
    Arguments:

• file := C:\\Users\\User\\Desktop\\Ship.schematic

Code:
    jo.sm.plugins.ship.imp.nbt.FormatException: Root tag was not a Compound tag; tag ID was 80
    	at jo.sm.plugins.ship.imp.nbt.IO.ReadUncompressed(IO.java:72)
    	at jo.sm.plugins.ship.imp.ImportSchematicPlugin.readFile(ImportSchematicPlugin.java:118)
    	at jo.sm.plugins.ship.imp.ImportSchematicPlugin.modify(ImportSchematicPlugin.java:95)
    	at jo.sm.ui.act.plugin.BlocksPluginAction$1.run(BlocksPluginAction.java:67)
    	at jo.sm.logic.RunnableLogic$1.run(RunnableLogic.java:14)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    After reading your post I imported 10 schematic files. The only issue I have had is I need to rotate the ship around the core to get it to face forward when they are from MCEdit. 90 around the Y. Have you tried on other files?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'ve seen this happen sometimes with some schematic files. I\'m not sure why. I\'ve checked it out and the code is giving a completely correct error. There is a tag there with an ID of 80, which is undefined in any file spec I\'ve seen. I think it\'s specific to a certain site, but I can\'t remember which one.

You might try reading it into MCEdit, and then saving it again before you import it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    apologies if this was reported or answered already, I read through everything and did not see anyone else mentioning it, but I was trying to use opengl mode under 64 bit Java and I get this error:

Exception in thread \"Render Thread\" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: C:\\starmade\\
    StarMade\\native\\windows\\lwjgl.dll: Can\'t load IA 32-bit .dll on a AMD 64-bit pla
    tform
    at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary1(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
    Reading Isanth-VI at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
    at org.lwjgl.Sys$1.run(Sys.java:73)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at org.lwjgl.Sys.doLoadLibrary(Sys.java:66)
    at org.lwjgl.Sys.loadLibrary(Sys.java:95)
    at org.lwjgl.Sys.(Sys.java:112)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.(Display.java:135)
    at jo.util.lwjgl.win.JGLCanvas.doRenderLoop(JGLCanvas.java:186)
    at jo.util.lwjgl.win.JGLCanvas.access$1(JGLCanvas.java:181)
    at jo.util.lwjgl.win.JGLCanvas$2.run(JGLCanvas.java:91)

Not much at programming, but it looks like its trying to load the 32bit DLLs for OpenGL support and failing?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Apparently your starmade installation decided to download an incompatible 32-bit library.

Do you have multiple graphic cards?

Did you simply copy&paste starmade to your current computer?

Your integrated graphic cards is of different make of your dedicated one (AMD and NVidia graphics don\'t like each other too much software wise....)?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    I clicked on SMEdit.jar (already have placed it inside my StarMade folder) but nothing happens? Task manager recognizes that the process is up and running for it but I get no window popping up, anywhere. Where is it?