Offline Ship Editor

Reaction score
    Smedit not working for me after updating java. My Java updated itself today, and now my smedit no longer works. It won\'t open, and keeps asking me to tell it what program to use to open it with. What to I have to do to get it working again?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    The best is to wait for JJ to update SMEdit, so that he can fix any other bugs or whatever and sync SMedit\'s updates with SM\'s. Once he updates you should re-downalod it and see if it works.

A thing you can try to do is try to look around for tutorial on how to open a executable jar file. It souldn\'t be too diffcult find one of those.

Another one is to try to uninstall and reinstall java. Not the most efficient, but can help solve this kind of problems and maybe more. I\'d suggest getting both the JRE\'s and JDK\'s latest versions.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Since Java changed, and SMEdit didn\'t, the problem is with Java not SMEdit.

Although that\'s outside of my scope, from the message I would say it looks as if the file associations are broken. I.e. it no longer understands that you have to use java to run a jar file. You have to do what it is telling you to do: tell it what program to use to open it with. How you do that depends on your O/S. If you google the internet, I\'m sure there\'s a tutorial out there for it.

Reaction score
    Not sure if this has been mentioned before but smedit only opens a file(blueprint or simply a saved ship) when there are no turrets docked.
    This ship has 12 turrets and is 700k blocks. Not sure if the mass, length, width or height has something to do with it though.

Could you look into it?
    Regards Lozdy

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yeah, I didn\'t get around to supporting turrets. Better to handle that in-game.

Right now development is on hold until I fix the loading of Schema\'s new data types. He sent me one source file. It wasn\'t what I asked for. So I\'ve got to sit down, work through it, and work out why he sent me that file instead of the ones I asked for. It would be a lot easier if he just gave me all the code (since I\'m now under NDA with him). I\'ve got vacation coming up, so it might be a few weeks before I can tackle it.

Once that\'s fixed, sure, I might look at turrets. Have you played with the \"shape library\" feature? I can see a sort of \"turret library\" that lets you manage your turrets collectively and pick and place them onto your ship...

Reaction score
    Oh okay. I managed it by deleteing the turrets without any problems so I am good.
    Its nice that you are still working on the program that I often use even though it is a little laggy with 200k+ block ships. Ok I lied, it lags massively but then again I can live with it too!

Well no, I havent tried it but I will give it a go cause it sounds easier than doing it manually.

Reaction score
    i keep getting this error when loading a blueprint :Bad tag data: 0000 f3 fd 00 00 00 02 fd 00 00 00 19 00 f3 fd 00 00 ???????????????? 0010 00 03 fd 00 00 00 19 00 00 00 0d 00 09 50 6f 69 ?????????????Poi 0020 6e 74 44 69 73 74 0a 00 0a 63 6f 6e 74 72 6f 6c ntDist???control 0030 6c 65 72 00 00 00 08 00 00 00 08 00 00 00 0a 0a ler????????????? 0040 00 05 69 64 50 6f 73 00 00 00 09 00 00 00 08 00 ??idPos????????? 0050 00 00 0c 0d 00 0c 45 66 66 65 63 74 53 74 72 75 ??????EffectStru 0060 63 74 f3 fd 00 00 00 00 fd 00 00 00 19 00 f3 fd ct?????????????? 0070 00 00 00 01 fd 00 00 00 19 00 f3 fd 00 00 00 02 ???????????????? java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unknown tag type \'-13\' at jo.sm.ent.logic.TagLogic.readValue(TagLogic.java:196) at jo.sm.ent.logic.TagLogic.readValue(TagLogic.java:207) at jo.sm.ent.logic.TagLogic.readValue(TagLogic.java:207) at jo.sm.ent.logic.TagLogic.readValue(TagLogic.java:207) at jo.sm.ent.logic.TagLogic.readValue(TagLogic.java:207) at jo.sm.ent.logic.TagLogic.readValue(TagLogic.java:207) at jo.sm.ent.logic.TagLogic.readFile(TagLogic.java:63) at jo.sm.ship.logic.MetaLogic.readFile(MetaLogic.java:51) at jo.sm.logic.BlueprintLogic.readBlueprint(BlueprintLogic.java:94) at jo.sm.logic.BlueprintLogic.readBlueprint(BlueprintLogic.java:74) at jo.sm.ui.logic.ShipTreeLogic.loadShip(ShipTreeLogic.java:130) at jo.sm.ui.act.file.OpenExistingAction$1.run(OpenExistingAction.java:41 ) at jo.sm.logic.RunnableLogic$1.run(RunnableLogic.java:14) Press any key to continue . . .

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Every time I try and run SM edit, it refuses to start! >,< I have tried putting it in the starmade folder, taking it out, I\'v used both 1.0.1 and 1.0 and still, nuthin\' its driving me nuts, can you please help? my starmadefolder is \"out of the box\" so i havent put any mods on it, and it only have 1 schematic besdes the default, what am I doing wrong? Please, help me in my time of java hating.

Reaction score
    the only difference is that it starts normal. I believe that the schematics changed in one of the patches. wich made loading broken in SMedit.

I just needed to change the orientation of the core. as i builded my ship sideways :l

And im sure JJaquinta is working hard on a fix.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    JJaquinta\'s working hard, that\'s true, but schema\'s support for SMedit\'s development came in way too late, not to mention that schema gave JJ some code he didn\'t specifically ask, and thus an update to SMedit will hardly come any time soontm.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It can\'t load texture files from the new locations.

No files, no textures, no divisor>0, DivisionThroughZero-Exception.

Reaction score
    Just chill. Schema added new tags to blueprints that SMedit can\'t read. The code is also obfusticated so its difficult to crack.

Yes Schema has shared some soruce code with Jo/JJ but it\'s not the code he was asking for to fix the current problem. The code he does have will eventually help with the progress of SMedit, but at present it will take time before we see anything come from it. And Jo/JJ is under an NDA so he can\'t tell us what he got besides \"not what he asked for\". My guess is by the time the dev build goes live we may see a major update to SMedit at some point to address the new block types and orientations which itself is a lot of work.

In the meantime you can still open ships in the current build IF you buy/load them in your Single Player so it is spawned in your local SP universe. Then the ship should show up under the \"Your Ships\" menu and will load the entity file instead of a blueprint file.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    You nailed it. I\'m not dead. But it\'s also been hard to find a block of time big enough to get my brain around what is needed to crack this. Hopefully I will still have some users by the time I do!

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I have a suggestion which may be silly, or may be brilliant. I have no idea which.

If you were to create a series of \"ships\", each with the ship block, and a single other block, would that help to teaze out the block code from the sment files?

Is there any part of the reverse engineering you can farm out to us?

Reaction score
    My SMEdit is bugged.

I have it loaded on two computers and on one it shows the exact ships on my personal server and on the other it will only show one of the ships in the Your Ship folder, and seeing as that is the only way to upload a ship this is frustrating.

Is there any way to fix this? I have deleted SMEdit and tried reinstalling it but still no luck.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    In your home folder there is a file which stores where SMEdit finds your StarMade-installation.

It would be better if it just works the same way as with the launcher thought. I have 2 folders.

Reaction score
    Two computers, so that\'s two different installs of StarMade and SMedit. The \"Your Ships\" folder in SMedit tracks ships you have spawned in the game itself, not their blueprint files.

Say you have a blueprint named DeathStar and you upload it to your SinglePlayer server (or import it with the game\'s import tool so it unpacks the sment file into a blueprint folder). It shows up under Blueprints now, right? Right. That is step one. You now have a BluePrint named DeathStar in your blueprints list in-game.

Step two has you go into your SinglePlayer game and typing \"/load DeathStar Jedi\". This spawns thee DeathStar with the name Jedi near you if not in front of you in the lcosest available area of space big enough to safely spawn it without collisions with anything. Bang. In SMedit it will show up in \"Your Ships\" named \"Ship Jedi\".

If \"Jedi\" is the only ship you have spawned in your Single Player game then it will be the only entry in SMedit you can load.

TL;DR: You must load the ship with /load in Single Player before it shows up in \"Your Ships\" in SMedit. Just having it in your list of blueprints doesn\'t mean it will be in \"Your Ships\", it must physically exist in your Single Player universe via the /load command before it will show up in SMedit\'s Your Ships menu.

Reaction score
    does not open in dev build... help?

Here is a log:

C:\\Users\\Wophie\\Desktop\\starmade\\StarMade>java -Xmx1g -jar SMEdit.jar
    Local: Tue Nov 26 11:09:37 GMT 2013
    Remote: Tue Nov 26 11:09:38 GMT 2013
    Delta: 380
    java.lang.ArithmeticException: / by zero
    at jo.sm.ui.BlockTypeColors.loadTextureMaps(BlockTypeColors.java:621)
    at jo.sm.ui.BlockTypeColors.loadBlockIcons(BlockTypeColors.java:562)
    at jo.sm.factories.planet.comp.MaterialFactory.loadDefinitions(MaterialF
    actory.java:57)
    at jo.sm.factories.planet.comp.MaterialFactory.loadDefinitions(MaterialF
    actory.java:52)
    at jo.sm.factories.planet.comp.MaterialFactory.(MaterialFactory.ja
    va:27)
    at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Sou
    rce)
    at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)
    at jo.sm.logic.StarMadeLogic.addPluginFactory(StarMadeLogic.java:124)
    at jo.sm.logic.StarMadeLogic.loadPlugins(StarMadeLogic.java:87)
    at jo.sm.logic.StarMadeLogic.setBaseDir(StarMadeLogic.java:79)
    at jo.sm.ui.RenderFrame.preLoad(RenderFrame.java:194)
    at jo.sm.ui.RenderFrame.main(RenderFrame.java:199)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at jo.sm.edit.SMEdit.runSMEdit(SMEdit.java:91)
    at jo.sm.edit.SMEdit.run(SMEdit.java:54)
    at jo.sm.edit.SMEdit.main(SMEdit.java:357)
    at jo.sm.factories.planet.veg.VegetationFactory.loadDefinitions(Vegetati
    onFactory.java:58)
    at jo.sm.factories.planet.veg.VegetationFactory.loadDefinitions(Vegetati
    onFactory.java:53)
    at jo.sm.factories.planet.veg.VegetationFactory.(VegetationFactory
    .java:28)

rce)
    at jo.sm.factories.ship.filter.ViewFilterFactory.loadDefinitions(ViewFil
    terFactory.java:59)
    at jo.sm.factories.ship.filter.ViewFilterFactory.loadDefinitions(ViewFil
    terFactory.java:54)
    at jo.sm.factories.ship.filter.ViewFilterFactory.(ViewFilterFactor
    y.java:29)

rce)
    java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
    Caused by: java.lang.ArithmeticException: / by zero
    at jo.sm.ui.BlockTypeColors.getBlockImage(BlockTypeColors.java:533)
    at jo.sm.ui.EditPanel.newButton(EditPanel.java:155)
    at jo.sm.ui.EditPanel.(EditPanel.java:65)
    at jo.sm.ui.RenderFrame.(RenderFrame.java:91)
    at jo.sm.ui.RenderFrame.main(RenderFrame.java:200)
    ... 7 more

Reaction score
    Read the thread more. The Dev Build (as it stands now) is incompatible with SMedit. The new blocks don\'t exist in SMedit\'s library nor do the new block orientations. From the looks of that spammy error I\'d also say the Dev Build uses some different colors than the older \"stable\" builds and SMedit doesn\'t cover those either.

The bottom line here is that mixing Dev Builds and SMedit is a bad idea. The new stuff in the Dev Build will just outright break SMedit until Jo/JJ can get the time to wade through the obfusticated code to fix it (or Schema gives him the files he needs to do so according to their agreement).

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    is it possible the wierd tag is a lighting modifier of some sort? Maybe schema\'s handling lighting wierdness by creating a sort of \"meta block\" that does nothing but modify lighting in neighboring blocks, by orientation. ..But if that meta block doesn\'t exist, then the block that requires it gets thrown out... Just a guess