Offline Ship Editor

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    If you know what\'s going on here, feelf ree to hop in and fix it. It\'s open source.

Schema obviously changed something (since SMEdit has only had extremely minor changes in that time period). If someone can point me at a release note of what he did, I can probably fix it. If not... I grow weary of having to backwards engineer his code. Please form a pettition to ask Schema to set up a climate more friendly to 3rd party developers who are trying to add value to his property. There are at least a dozen ways of doing this. I\'m sure one of them will meet his desire for privacy.

(Update today with the axis and Specific Selection fixes.)

Reaction score
    So I imported some ships into maya and at first the textures and everything seem fine, but when I rendered an image, they still appeared to be transparent and the ships are also still hollow. They actually aren\'t even composed of blocks, just 2D faces around the general shape of the ship.

Here\'s the rendered image if it helps to see what I\'m talking about:

http://i.imgur.com/ZsyRRJQ.jpg

Reaction score
    So I tried to do a clean StarMade install and a fresh SMEdit install. I\'m doubting your statement because I still have the error spam in my console when I try to open the blueprint tree the first time. This is annoying.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    My user interface sucks. If you\'ve got suggestions, I\'d love to hear them. I know it can be better, I just don\'t know exactly how to make it better. :)

I\'ve been programming a long time. Most people writing tools are doing it to learn how to program. That\'s fine. That\'s how I started. I mostly got into this because I wanted to write planet generators. Like biomes for Minecraft. But Schema doesn\'t seem any closer to opening up to plugin developers than he ever was. And right now I\'m enjoying playing Minecraft more than playing StarMade. I keep hoping Schema will realize that what has made Minecraft great was the modding community. StarMade won\'t be able to reverse the google trend line unless he nurtures such a community.

Reaction score
    That isn\'t necessarily SMedits fault, it is you render engine\'s. Blender is able to render interior and exterior perfectly.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Indeed, a \"fresh\" install means it has to be a new game install, I did mention you can just install StarMade somewhere else, as a copy, and use that one for SMEdit, then your main one for playing. You only have to swap blueprints from a side to another.

Reaction score
    Too much of a hassle. I want to work in one folder. But here\'s a couple of questions for you. What changed in the recent build that broke SMedit? And where is this \"block data\" you referenced earlier? I tried a new game install and a new SMedit install at the same time and still couldn\'t get it to show shops and stations (still had to do File>Open twice). That annoyed me plenty. Something is goofy here and I am trying to find out what so I can fix it.

Nevermind. It isn\'t custom blocks (by themselves) that broke it. An older copy of the game works, but when I move the server database from my main game to the backup game (moving the backup database to another folder), SMedit chokes itself. It just can\'t read the new server-database format for stations, shops or rocks. Rocks would be rather obviously difficult to read because they can be bounced around like space pinballs now (engine update).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    It seems I\'m able to load ships I make that do not have weapons or weapons computers. If I add these to my ship and tried to load the blueprint in smedit it will not load the ship bit have the screen flash and remain on the prior ship.

Reaction score
    I found that it could load ships with weapons saved on BPs from previous builds. It seems something in the last few updates broke full compatibility with SMedit.

Reaction score
    I have encountered a problem with importing an obj file made with 3ds Max 2014 it is just an easy shape

Plugin: Import/OBJ
    Arguments:

• file := D:\\autocad Modelle\\test\\conus.obj
    • longestDimension := 100

java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 0, Size: 0
    at java.util.ArrayList.rangeCheck(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.ArrayList.get(Unknown Source)
    at jo.vecmath.logic.ext.Hull3fLogic.getBounds(Hull3fLogic.java:39)
    at jo.sm.plugins.ship.imp.PlotLogic.getScale(PlotLogic.java:192)
    at jo.sm.plugins.ship.imp.ImportOBJPlugin.modify(ImportOBJPlugin.java:72)
    at jo.sm.ui.act.plugin.BlocksPluginAction$1.run(BlocksPluginAction.java:67)
    at jo.sm.logic.RunnableLogic$1.run(RunnableLogic.java:14)

can anyone help me?

thanks

marcus

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    This tool doesn\'t work. It seems to want .sment files but my blueprints are all folder-based without .sment files.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    (Update today with the axis and Specific Selection fixes.)

I checked on the two fixes and they both work great in standard mode i used the -opengl and did not see the alts. Just so you know.

thanks

I hear your frustration with the code Obfustication and how it makes it hard for this and other utilities.

I remember reading when you and some others were first talking about a utility but it seems like you were the only one who worked on a useable version. Too bad more people with your skill set are not involved on this. I wish I was one of them.

I have a great many years testing software to the breaking point for Apple and Adobe. That was a love hate relationship for sure. They loved that I found tons of stuff for them, yet I think maybe when they would get my feedback they would know and hate it would be a great many. :)

I am mostly a graphics person not a code person by any stretch of the imagination. I did try back in the day but my true passion was mostly Photoshop and some Video along with 3d Maya use. I have helped a great many coders with GUI in the past just because they had good software but the interface was sad. And I used the software so I was helping myself too.

Sounds like you might not be on this project much longer unless SM changes the way Obfustication of the code is. Ya that word is new to me so I am sure I am using it wrong. heh Plus if you do not even enjoy the game anymore. I am surprised you even bother. One needs to help ones self before one can help others. That is my implementation of the airline oxygen philosophy. ;) It\'s apt in many aspects of life.

I am a father also and understand that family comes first. Oh and I book marked your book. I want to check it out. I have written a few stories myself, but never even tried to publish, in any way shape or form. I had them edited and everything since I have a great many grammar error tenancies. heh.

I will give feedback as long as you like. Your editor has helped in many ways for me. The rotate was the main thing for me, bring in from MC I always needed to rotate. But you kept adding stuff and I am hooked. I hope more people jump in to help.

Take care

I am off to yet another mandatory 8 hour manager class. ahhhhhhhh and all I want to do is Photoshop. LOL

Who\'s John Galt? I am.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    yo jo, Your interface does not suck, it is what it needs to be, utilitarian. I have a hard time figuring out how you get stuff to do what it does. :)

I bet you wanted to make round planets with a central gravity with your planet generator.

Ya I myself took a break on MC for awhile, work and family. I am sure my next staycation will give me some time. I have posters in my office of some major MC builds I\'ve done, and am amazed how many people my age know and like it. Heck I like to have fun still. It has not been too long since I was Zelmar the wizard at the renaissance. LOL shh don\'t tell anyone.

anywho - I busted out a copy of Eclipse and loaded windowbuilder pro. I can build an interface but was unable to integrate with the code. I busted out Photoshop just to get some ideas. I am making sure that it grows and spaces out from your default window size to full screen. I will mess around a bit. I was trying to use your code in window builder but got some errors. Been 10 years or more since I even tried. I figure I might keep at it. Maybe I will get the UI together and see if others can do the data linking. Was out sick so figured I would mess around. When I get the UI some what done I will put it out there. But there are so many people out there way better at this stuff then me. I am surprised more don\'t jump on the ship crew. ;) I am just a stowaway.

I like the idea of snap to view-+ X Y Z, with zoom and scrolling with and without rotation enabled.

I am not sure if I can call xml filters into an edit parameters zone, but it would be interesting to build a UI for each. I was thinking to have the preview with snap to views on the painting tab also. The multi view tab would show 4 views without mouse rotation do to the memory requirements maybe with a save as PNG so people can share a pic. trying to rotate multiple views on a big thing would be crazy. The original tab would have your original loaded. I don\'t know just some crazed ideas on a sick day.

catch ya

Reaction score
    umm interesting problem when ever i try to load one of my models it gives me an array out of bounds exception

Reaction score
    I\'m experiencing the same issue. Ships made before the last update load fine but those made afterwards do not. I have only connected to 2 servers, both of which are unmodified. Additionally trying to reinstall, import and resave the ship from the fresh install has no effect, and on the used install older ships work fine, so that seems to eliminate the possibility of it being an issue with the game install having modified data.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    lol, all blueprints are folder-based, that\'s not a problem if you open them from the right menu.

Reaction score
    Yeah, I\'m a tad bit confused. Does this editor act as some sort of planner for the ships? Or is it actually a ship editor, that allows you to modify the ship files, to create the new designs, and catalog them into the game?

Reaction score
    Tried removing the weapons computer on a new ship and it openned fine. The AMC\'s themselves didn\'t need removed, and it saved me from scrapping a design due to terrible core placement.

Reaction score
    has someone an idea if this problem of mine is solvable?

Plugin: Import/OBJ
    Arguments:

• file := D:\\autocad Modelle\\test\\conus.obj
    • longestDimension := 100

java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 0, Size: 0
    at java.util.ArrayList.rangeCheck(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.ArrayList.get(Unknown Source)
    at jo.vecmath.logic.ext.Hull3fLogic.getBounds(Hull3fLogic.java:39)
    at jo.sm.plugins.ship.imp.PlotLogic.getScale(PlotLogic.java:192)
    at jo.sm.plugins.ship.imp.ImportOBJPlugin.modify(ImportOBJPlugin.java:72)
    at jo.sm.ui.act.plugin.BlocksPluginAction$1.run(BlocksPluginAction.java:67)
    at jo.sm.logic.RunnableLogic$1.run(RunnableLogic.java:14)

can anyone help me?

thanks

marcus

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Well just before the last update for SM, it did a great many things. Started as a way to open in-game ships to color blocks in a way faster than in the game, it let you replace blocks with others, rotate and move the core, import and export many 3d formats. It could build hulls add decks with ramps hollow out objects. add wedges and corners on mass to smooth the look and feel inside and out, it was a bit faster then doing it all one block at a time in game. and much more....

StarMade SMEdite Wiki

Just like MC every change by the devs of the SM game makes the mod/utility writers update when they can to stay compatible. I first just used it to rotate cores when importing schematics from MC, but as it grew i used it for more. the code needs to be reverse engineered each time from what I understand. I am not a code guy but i am trying to help on the UI. If for nothing else my own pleasure.

Right now I can\'t open my in game ships but I am sure it will be back soon. Here is a new screen capture of the UI project.