Offline Ship Editor

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    when trying to open pretty much any ship me or my friends make after the big amc update, smedit wont open the blueprints. It also does not open certain blueprints from the starmade website. I tried opening several from my folder 9 out of 10 wouldn\'t open. the blueprints arent corrupt because they spawn properly in game, but when opening in smedit i get errors in the cmd console.

http://pastebin.com/Mtg6L3t9

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Your pastebin has been deleted. It works fine for me. So without your input data, I can\'t recreate your problem.

If it\'s been like this for two weeks, and no one else has complained, it\'s probably something funny with your system.

While checking this I noted two depressing things in Schema\'s update:

1) He\'s talking about supporting different orientations. That\'s well and good, and overdue. But mapping the display in SMEdit to his current 8 bizare rientation values was hard. Doing it for 32 with no documentation is going to be extremely tedious.

2) He mentioned that he can now do database changes on the fly. It was such a database change that blew SMEdit out of the water a few weeks back. And is the reason why it can\'t edit or update many entity files. Now this can happen more frequently.

Both of these changes are good things for StarMade, the game. A full set of orientations is long overdue and being able to patch on the fly gives Schema many options to fix legacy problems. However, the fact that the formats are undocumented, no source code is available under any options, and Schema is unresponsive to questions means 3rd party tools like SMEdit are catastrophically impacted.

I don\'t want Schema to stop changing the product. It has to change to evolve. What I want is for Schmea to recognize that such 3rd party tools add a lot of value to the game and it\'s worth him making a token effort to give us the information we need to keep pace with the changes. There are several thousand users of SMEdit producing countless numbers of ships. That\'s all content for the game. Surely that\'s worth 15 minutes a week of Schema\'s time?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    sorry for the delay i been too depressed to do anything. but here is a new pastebin of me opening 3 ships one being a sment file

http://pastebin.com/kbA95VPp

Reaction score
    I keep getting this error.

• file := C:\\Users\\Owner\\Desktop\\GethDread.obj
    • longestDimension := 200

Code:
    java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: -10
    	at java.util.ArrayList.elementData(Unknown Source)
    	at java.util.ArrayList.get(Unknown Source)
    	at jo.sm.plugins.ship.imp.OBJLogic.readFile(OBJLogic.java:83)
    	at jo.sm.plugins.ship.imp.ImportOBJPlugin.modify(ImportOBJPlugin.java:67)
    	at jo.sm.ui.act.plugin.BlocksPluginAction$1.run(BlocksPluginAction.java:67)
    	at jo.sm.logic.RunnableLogic$1.run(RunnableLogic.java:14)

Reaction score
    Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but is it possible to add more options under the rotate menu? Several ships that that I\'m trying to import are oriented completely wrong, it would be awesome to have a more specifc system than the rotate 90o, 180o, and 270o that exists now. I still love using this editor, I just thought that others might be having the same problem. Thanks!

Reaction score
    not sure if its a common problem but smEdit does seem to like loading my ships for editing, it shows nothing except the isanth (i have tried redownloading but to no prevail)

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I get that too, normally spawning one in, undocking all turrets, blueprinting it, spawning the new bp in again and then opening the ship from the \"Your ships\" bit of the menu works :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    If I remember correctly, I think there is a free rotate where you can rotate it as much as you want. If not throug the UI, then as a macro. However, they\'re blocks. It\'s going to look pretty crappy if you don\'t rotate a multiple a 90 degrees.

Reaction score
    Decided to update and get back to some editing. First thing I noticed when trying to use the open menu (and thus these items did not appear in the list) was a lot of this (there were more but the cmd window can only display so much and they had to do with \"bad tag data\" on a custom station I made in smedit, and that station will not appear in the list of objects I can edit in-program):

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unknown tag type \'-3\'
    at jo.sm.ent.logic.TagLogic.readValue(TagLogic.java:196)
    at jo.sm.ent.logic.TagLogic.readValue(TagLogic.java:207)
    at jo.sm.ent.logic.TagLogic.readFile(TagLogic.java:63)
    at jo.sm.ship.logic.MetaLogic.readFile(MetaLogic.java:51)
    at jo.sm.logic.BlueprintLogic.readBlueprint(BlueprintLogic.java:94)
    at jo.sm.logic.BlueprintLogic.readBlueprint(BlueprintLogic.java:74)
    at jo.sm.ui.logic.ShipTreeLogic.loadShip(ShipTreeLogic.java:130)
    at jo.sm.ui.act.file.OpenExistingAction$1.run(OpenExistingAction.java:41)
    at jo.sm.logic.RunnableLogic$1.run(RunnableLogic.java:14)

What has me wondering is if the \"IllegalStateException\" is supposed to block me from loading the ship I want to edit. Most other ships load fine (granted they are inexplicably missing a block or two after being loaded in the editor), but this one just fails to load outright when I open it from the blueprints menu. Is this because of the tags stuff again? I have intended to color decals onto the hull, but its starting to look like I have to do it in-game by hand one block at a time.

Though when the new server update comes out things will break six ways from monday so I guess reporting this is moot in the face of a coming massive game update.

Reaction score
    i used smedit for my battlestar to make it bigger. which i made. It started200m long,35m tall and 75wid. but... i wanted to make it bigger anyway the ship core is i the middle of the ship..... i scale it up three times... and it worked :) so i started addin the whole interoir back in but i relize that syety modes not working properly.... so i check the dymentions of the thing and it appeared to be 220m in width only (it should be 225m in width) so i check if the core is in the middle and it is not. and then i check the \"head\" of my battlestar and i relize that it made 1 of the sides smaller.... :( so.......... i scale it down more and same think happens over and over again...... some1 plz help me this is rlly frustrating......

Reaction score
    A few things in the SMEdit I\'ve witnessed that would be nice to get fixed/implemented (if these already exist, my apologies):

Features:

Center view. When working on large ships, it becomes very difficult to reset the view to be looking straight down the middle. A reset view could be handy, especially given the sensitivity of the current rotate.

A way to select all type and remove them... in my case, select all wedges and delete. (when I scale up by 3, all wedges become a 3x3x3 block of wedges)

Scale should have a means of maintaining symmetry for a ship built with the core as the center (perhaps a checkbox or something). Currently, if I scale a ship up by 3, the core will appear, not centered, but at the corner of where the one square became a 3x3 square (IE, it\'s off center by 1 square). Furthermore, for some reason, there will be one row that will be composed of only 2 squares, not 3 as it should be. You can see this, even on the default pirate ship. The reflect tool does not fix this, it only reverses which side the oddity is on.

Reaction score
    Move you\'re core out to the side of your ship, then scale it, then move your core back to the center. If you move it out to the side enough, it doesn\'t need to make sure the ship is equal distance from the non centered core, as your whole ship is on one side of the core.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Schema introduced a quirk to the file format that threw a wrench into SMEdit a while back. I don\'t know what the tags are for, and I\'m tired of sifting obfuscated code. Since I don\'t know what they are for, I don\'t know what you do to a ship to make them appear.

Two tags I am able to skip, because the always seem to be the same lenght. I just omit them. That may explain your missing blocks. (Was it a specific type of block that is missing?) The others I just fault on.

If Schema and I can work out a way to share information, then we can fix this. Otherwise SMEdit is going to become increasingly dysfunctional. :-(

Reaction score
    A way to select all of one type of block and remove it:

Try using the Replace Block Mod to choose the block you want to remove and replace it with \"Air\". You can even use the selection tool to only replace selected blocks and replace them with air.

Reaction score
    A specific type of block, yes. It seems to apply to hull corners both normal and hardened. One ship may have one missing block (all others of the same color around it remain the same) while another has multiple blocks of hull missing. I see it happening to hull wedges more often than I see it occur to the other hull block types.

And I can feel you on smedit\'s current status of dysfunctional. I want it to continue growing, but according to the people I know that have any kind of ear on what he does, he doesn\'t want to open up his stuff to anyone since they could potentially steal his game out form under him. And its not even in Beta yet. Which means he\'s going to keep things obfusticated like mud for now. I really wish he\'d change his mind because this constant level of protectiveness (while justified) is starting to becomf stifiling to designers and players that like using your tool to make their creations take form more rapidly and fluidly. Its seriously frustrating.

Reaction score
    • Supporter
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    When comes a update ?

My own blueprints smedit dont read to 90-95 %. Only when they are under Your ships.m Only fresh importet bp he read to 50 %.

Open File dont go too.

A friend had 100 % the same problem with the same blueprints. But they work on server and singleplayer. So the problem must be smedit.

edit : I send schema a link to the last post of you jjaquinta. i hope he writes you.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    There is zero chance that anyone is going to steal StarMade. It would be bloody obvious if they did so. They would have no chance of selling it off to Mojang, or getting merchandising deals if it was so obviously purloined. So if that\'s Schema\'s concern, it\'s ill placed.

On a positive note, I have signed a NDA with Schema and he has promised to give me some source code to decipher. All I\'ve got so far is the mapping of the orientation values. What I really need to fix this problem is the read/write stuff for the new tags. We\'ll see if that is forthcoming.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think the messages to Schema may have gotten through. He\'s written back and we now have a NDA signed. With luck some source code will be forthcoming and I\'ll be able to fix the problems.

Reaction score
    Ah? Then I can mention this to a certain tomino_sama since its mentioned here.

Also noticed its hull wedges that vanish. not corners like I thought. My brain got scrambled. Hull wedges go poof when certain orientations get used.