Offline Ship Editor

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have has similar issues. I used this site to convert a few times. it might help. I had to use firefox, safari had issues.

3D convert files online

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Solution was mentioned above.

Once I deleted the weapons, salvage, and missile computers from the ship, the file will open up in SMEdit like normal.

Reconnecting the weapons again ingame is quick with shift+v, which will connect all the blocks in a group in one click. Much quicker to recolour with SMEdit and refit the weapons after than it is to change several thousand hull blocks ingame.

This is a great game support tool! One would think Schema would work a little closer with this tool\'s development alongside the game.

I\'ve also found that the voxelising tool in the editor sometimes works better than binvox when the .obj has undercut sections. Binvox misses these sections completely and blanks them over. I try both Binvox and SMEdit when I voxelize an .obj, then choose the best to work with from there.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    That is a good tip added to my list Hah.

I tried to open one of my biggest in game builds into MCE and it error when i checked on it all the power was broke, then it vanished from in game all but the docked ships. even if i /load it, only the docked ships load again err. While in ship i /save ship_name to update blueprint. works on others that don\'t have docked ships. I do recall they are trying to tune the docking, that must have done something. I keep backups so no biggie.

I use both to voxelize also. I use the parameter with binvox \"-aw\" render the model in wireframe seems to help with small parts.

I am with you the dev on SM should embrace this utility.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I notice that when a core is moved we get a hole in that place. Is it possible to have it replace the hole with, lets say, if the hole has the same block ID on each side it would fill the hole with that block. Maybe an average of the sides surrounding the hole, incase there are multiple kinds of blocks. Or it might be more simple, if \"simple\" is not putting to light a description on it, to replace the hole with a RED light block so it is EZ to spot when back in-game. Just a thought I had as I made many a hole in my ship while moving the core many times. It can be a slow process with large builds.

Thanks

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'ve updated it to look around the hole, and fill it in with what is most prevelant. If there\'s nothing there, it leaves it empty. Please try it out, I didn\'t do a lot of testing.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The recent failures exposed by SMEdit were due to Schema adding a new tag type to the entity file format. Entities are used for storing in-game ships (as opposed to blueprints), stations, floating rocks, and stuff like that.

He has not documented the new tags. His tag format is not self describing, so there isn\'t even a way I can reliably skip it. The only way the previous tags were worked out was by painful reconstruction from decompiled obfusticated code. My hope had been that either there would be no further changes to the entity format (since all basic types were covered) or that by the time there were, Schema would have embraced the developer community that are trying so hard to add value to his property. Looks like my hopes were false.

For now, I\'ve put in a trap to \"gracefully degrade\" when unreadable files are found. So you can continue to read and write blueprint files without having to click the Open menu twice. I could do a fix, so that the other files could be read, but write would not be supported. So I\'m not sure that\'s worth it.

A true fix requires either repeating the tedium of hand examination of decompiled obfusticated code, or for Schema to actually write a few paragraphs describing the change. I\'m kind of reluctant to go through the pain of working the change out without some indication that Schema isn\'t just going to do this again tomorrow. I\'m happy to document what is already known of the Entity file format on the wiki if someone can persuade Schema to take fifteen minutes and add in the new tags he\'s created. Or even send me the one Java file where these are defined and I\'ll write up the doc. But I\'d like to see something out of Schema acknowledging what I and others are doing to improve the enjoyment of his game.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I did a couple of moves with the core in the default ship, it is still leaving holes. at first it looked from a strait on view that it was replacing with power blocks, but when i rotated a bit i saw they were holes.

Oh hey, I have been meaning to ask, if you don\'t mind, what in the heck is going on in your avatar? LOL

thanks

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I checked the -opengl again, i use it for inside views, and that axis is still black after the last extending alt you made. It works fine in standard mode.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Can you give me explicit steps to recreate that with the Isanth? I tried and didn\'t see holes.

My profile pictures is from one of our Halloween parties. That year was \"An Ed Wood Memorial Party\". People were to come dressed as characters that might be in bad B-movies. My friend with the blonde wig is Flash Gordan (his wife was a very good Dale Arden) and I\'m the goofy one wearing the Traveller uniform I used to use when displaying at conventions.

I know the standard is to have a uber-cool avatar showing an idealized version of your inner self. For me a dumb picture keeps me more humble. :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    OpenGL draws blocks of solid colors differently than image textures. Clearly I have a problem somewhere in my \"solid color drawing\" code. The color is there, it\'s just very dark. Probably something to do with reflectivity or maybe transparency.

I\'ve switched it to use textures for now. So you can see the axis, but they\'re all grey. (They\'re Red/Green/Blue lights. But veeeeery stretched.)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    just launched regular (double click) No Terminal No OPENGL. I used the Isanth, I just now moved 3 (Dorsal/Ventral) then 2 (Fore/Aft) and it left another hole showing a power cell under the hole. that is step by step.

Avatar: good story. I don\'t know if they are supposed to be an inner self but mine right now is one I made for a military contractor years ago. I kept all rights. I can tell you my inner self is not a jack booted SWAT guy LOL Yours makes it easy to scan threw to find your posts. that flash Gordon red shirt does it. LOL You sure you were not dressed as a third world dictator. :)

any who here is a short VID showing it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I find SMedit to do nothing but improve Starmade experince. As you\'ve said, it\'s not a replacement, it\'s a compliment. And this holds very true. I don\'t think it\'s in Starmade\'s best interest to do all the moding that SMedit can do. (Perhaps some things; i\'d appreciate a find/replace in starmade adv build mode...).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have been trying to take the menu interface and make it more point and click with some command keys for commonly used actions. I can only wild guess at howmany things I have put in can\'t work, but I thought I would just jump in to see what is what. I will put a gif below showing the UI tabs. I have a problem getting the object display to carry over to each tab pane. I sure as heck need training videos. Eclipse with window builder pro might be one of the easiest but it is still hard for me. Now that I have some ideas I can start over from scratch and try to do it the right way. :)

it\'s kinda fun. Not as fun as using an app made by a pro though.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Jo

I am able to open, edit and save in-game ships again.

Thanks for the effort man!

I had to dance around the room for a bit while playing my flute, when I saw this dialog. LOL

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    By far SMedit\'s only big issue while editing is the lack of a Camera Pan tool, to move the camera more easly when you have BIG stuff and/or you need to do some details.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yes, not having weapons on your ships, Computers and actually Arrays, so create your hull, get it how you like it, do what you will in SMEdit then once your done add your weapons and what not.

I\'d really like to paint a ship with SMedit instead of just using the patterns, however once I get these large ships, like 140k blocks I can\'t move the durn thing around smooth enough in editor to do diddly. Works great on smaller ships. I\'ve adjusted memory in CMD but no luck.

Reaction score
    When i try and import a ship of get it from the starmade blueprints the ship does not appear. is there any way of fising this?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Sorry, I can\'t work out what you are trying to say. Can you please follow the guidelines on the wiki and make a complete report?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Others have said, while in SM, remove weapons computers not cannons themselves. Also any docking modules, docking enhancer blocks are fine to leave, they can be re-linked later.

K10wN:

Once I deleted the weapons, salvage, and missile computers from the ship, the file will open up in SMEdit like normal.

Reconnecting the weapons again ingame is quick with shift+v, which will connect all the blocks in a group in one click.

Once done removing those blocks, and still in in core, build mode, hit the return key to enter chat. use \"/save yourshipname\". This will update the blueprint, just incase your ship is gone next time you login. Always save!

Then go back to SMEdit and use the OPEN menu to open the in-game ship, or blueprint. I like to edit in-game, so it will just be updated next time i login to SM. No need to \"/load yourshipname\" back in.

hope that helps.