Offline Ship Editor

Reaction score
    The OBJ export function is definitely not functioning properly at the moment. It only seems to export half of the left hand side of the ship. I\'ve taken a look at the actual file output and it seems to be completely different/corrupted. This seems to be due to the inclusion of the texture parameters?
    I\'ve switched back to the old SMEdit files for the meantime.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Do you use custom textures? Custom block types? I just added support for those. Maybe it went a bit off.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The only difference is that I should be dumping vt lines as well as the rest.

What do you mean by different/corrupted? Can you post the file or some of the lines?

Reaction score
    Hi,

I was looking at the ship trying to figure out where the issue or math is for the BSG right hanger pylon being cut and support structures.

When I thought about what Casus pointed out, so I moved in on the area on a newly spawned ship. The spot is the exact same spot that the ship had the back part and engines turned 180 deg and messed up.

I don\'t know JJ if that will spark something, or are these big ones just too much?

Reaction score
    It only exports a quarter of the ship. Some example pics.

In Blender-

In SME -

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Make a long flat panel, typed on it the Gettysburg address. I\'m narrowing down the fallout. My current guess is that there is a bug in the StarMade code that, internally, \"skips\" some -ve coordinates by accident.

I know for certain the first chunk of the 0,0,-1 superchunk is missing.

Reaction score
    And also, how do i use the text tool? Everytime i use it, it makes no difference.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    It operates on the current selection. If you have nothing currently selected, it fails silently.

I\'m trying to answer what I think will be frequent question in the document. I just wrote a section on selecting here. Let me know if that clears things up.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    My theory of a StarMade bug is gaining ground. I\'m too tired to work this out tonight. I read in the HeldTech Damocles and printed the range of values in each superchunk. Just looking at the Z axis I get:

0,0,-2: -384 to -369

0,0,-1: -368 to -129

0,0,0: -128 to 127

0,0,1: 128 to 383

0,0,2: 384 to 479

Something is definately not kosher about the -2/-1 boundry breaking on -369/-368.

Reaction score
    Yea I have the whole ship selected when I export. Depending on the model it\'ll either be the left hand side, or if it\'s bigger, the left hand side and a few random pieces.

Reaction score
    for some reason when i open any ship including the original ship the wedges dont actually appear instead just a another block making my ship look like a massive mess as it shows the wedges/blocks as overlapping, hte only way i can stop this is by using the plain option

is there a way to make it show wedges ?

Reaction score
    Well that\'s the thing, I don\'t see where this is getting its textures from, because I have defaults in my data folder, and this somehow uses the clean pack by Pixelboy.

Without textures the display is fine though.

Do you have plans for adding perspective at a later stage?

Reaction score
    Another thing I found, pretty minor though:

You can\'t paint blocks behind corners (red circle in the image), I think the same thing goes for blocks that you can see behind wedges.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Are you launching with SMEdit or jo_sm? SMEdit tries to find the \"right\" StarMade direcotry. If you have more than one instlal, it might be finding the wrong one.

I wrote up what I\'m trying to do POV wise in comment 335.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Sorry, that response was to the question about text. Not export. I\'m not sure what\'s up with export. I need to make a tiny model, export it, and hand check the coordinates. (Right now my two lovely daughters have taken over my development machine to watch Minecraft videos!)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Wedges work fine. Open the default blueprint Isanth, do Edit -> Smooth, and you\'ll see plenty of wedges.

Here\'s the thing. The orientation variable in the game can hold 16 values (for wedges). However, there are only 12 orientations. Some of them are duplicated. I have no idea why StarMade exports different values for certain orientations. If you run from the console, it\'s probably spitting out lots of messages about unrecognized orientations. I know it\'s confused by 5 and 9. If you see reports of other ones, let me know. If this is causing you grief, I\'ll bump fixing it up the priority list.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    When you say \"you can\'t\" do you mean that my software is incapable of, or do you mean \"one shouldn\'t\"?

In order to speed up rendering, I calculate what blocks are visible and which are not. This is a little tricky, because there is a tradeoff between spending a lot of time working out exactly what is visible and spending a lot of time drawing invisible blocks. Currently the algorithim I use basically says \"if this block borders blocks in all six axial directions, then it is invisible\". I had to tweak that to \"borders solid blocks\", and treat wedges and corners as non-solid. (I should also include glass.)

Given that, I\'m a little confused by what I see above. The block behind the corner there should be painted, since it is next to \"non-solid\" blocks. Are any of those corner/wedges glass?

OpenGL has much smarter and faster algorithms for determining visibility. If you note, my algorithm still draws the far side of the hull, which wastes time. But, as per comment 335, that isn\'t ready for prime time yet.

Thanks for the report.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Sorry for the delay in response. things got busy. I will generate example files with multiple images and PM them to you.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    OK. I\'ve determined 100% that there is a bug in StarMade. -ve superchunks are only 240 deep, not 256 like +ve superchunks. >_< I\'ve jumped through hoops and hacked my nice clean code to replicate the bug. I\'ve been able to generate a 1000m long ship that imports fine with the Gettysburg address fully legible with no word or letter drops on it.

I have not tested to see if there is the same bug in the -x and -y directions. I don\'t think so, but I\'m not sure. I\'ll have to test with the Galactica model again to see if the port pylon problem was z related or x related.

(I also improved Export Images and added relase notes to the About box.)

If you get the chance, please try on some large models and let me know if the problem is still there or not on the z axis, and if they are wide/tall enough to test the problem on the x/y axis.