Offline Ship Editor

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Hull option is tool-made, I did your test/size and it worked in a split of a second. I did mention \"Blueprints\" and \"Your Ships\" sections both being actual in-game ships (more info was on the previous post).

I did the needle test as you said, and indeed it replaced all of the grey there to another color in a second. But using any actual game-made blueprint bigger than 256 won\'t work, I tried that with 3 different blueprints.

I used as test the most known turret ship, http://star-made.org/content/testing-phase-thunderclap

\"All\" painting works perfectly, but \"Mod\" replace or stripes doesn\'t, same as on any other blueprint I checked.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Once a ship is loaded, it usually doesn\'t really matter where it came from. Since generated models are easier to test with, I usually use those.

But, to make sure, I just loaded the Thunderclap in, and I was able to replace/stripe without incident. I\'ll do a video tutorial using this as an example tonight if I get the chance. Were there any messages on the console?

Anyone else having this problem?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Hmm, well, I tried with that unfinished version and the finished version of it, still looks like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX-JJhz-Z_Y

Proven it works fine on big stuff under 256, and on hull made stuff of 500x20x20 needle, but nothing on these ones, there\'s another big blueprint I tried and still the same. I just redownloaded the links 2 minutes before making that video, 10 minutes ago, and waiting time does nothing, I did wait 20 minutes with an a bit older version where it was saying \"Hmm\" and the text down wasn\'t stopping at all, and 5 minutes on this one (much enough for anything).

Java x64 on Windows 8 64 bits, with Classic Shell, ofc, to make it run like a normal Windows, not Metro UI, but 200Mb less wasted RAM than Win7.

Reaction score
    Seems like the obj export is broken. It\'s now only outputting partial models (25% of the left hand side for example). Tried it on a few ships.
    Also the modify tab not opening seems to only occur when i load a planet. If a ship is loaded I can still get the modify menu, but it won\'t open when a planet is open.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Well, you gave me half of what I asked (exact steps). If you had given me the other half (console output) you probably could have solved it yourself.

It was running out of memeory. If you play with big ships, you should probably pump up Java\'s memory usage. That\'s why I couldn\'t re-create it at work. At home I don\'t have it pumped up, so I got the error.

The root cause was that the undo functionality takes snapshots of the state of things each time you change something. With a big ship like that, it was quickly blowing the default amount of memory Java allocates.

So I\'ve made a change to disable undo functionality on ships larger than 10,000 blocks. I\'m also seeing if I can put in a little meter to show ho much memory has been used. I\'ll update a little later tonight.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Thanks to all your support, and a very generous donation by kahulbane, I have reached my donation target and have ordered the Minecraft Lego kit for my very happy daughter.

I now consider this software \"paid for\" and I have removed the \"begware\" bar at the bottom of the screen and replaced it with a far more useful status indicator. You are still welcome to show your support by buying my book. I\'ll chalk up any further proceeds to one of the other Minecraft Lego kits.

I\'ll add into the status bar fairly shortly something that shows the type and coords of any block you hover over. For now it only shows the amount of free memory to help people work out when they are running out.

Reaction score
    The talent you have and this software was well worth more than that. Keep it up!

Cheers

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I use custom textures and it works fine, though mine are 1024x1024 default size. :) I havent added any block yet though

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    My fault then, I though that just running the file, it would reallocate as much memory as needed, but nope. Ran it through console allocating more memory and painting works great on everything, thanx for the help :D

Now we\'re back to superchunks topic, now it does load both front and back of the ship, but apparently StarMade skips over a whole chunk line (16 blocks) on the back, like this:

Check lava blocks.

Original: http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/8549/cfh0.png

Repainted: http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/3829/fdkd.png

What\'s funny is that the repainted one looks ok when reloaded in the tool, but not in-game, even loading the in-game one (seen in 2nd picture) with the tool (from \"Your Ships\"), it still looks correctly, with the proper distance of 16 between the lava blocks !

On blueprint: http://star-made.org/node/6973
    (lot of damaged blocks on it but it loads fine, for the repainting, all docked stuff was removed before saving a copy)

The console says no error when writing (and it looks fine), just when loading the original one, it spams some \"Wedge with unknown ori=9\" and number 15 too, but looks fine.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Sounds the same problem as others are getting. The root problem is that StarMade have not documented their format, nor made their code clear. It makes it difficult for people like me, who are adding value to their product, to do what we do.

Since it re-reads, I\'m clearly internally consistent in how I read/write the damn files. I\'m just not consistent with StarMade.

The problem with debugging this is it\'s a nasty iterative business. As you all know, SMEdit does not perform well with HUGE ships. That\'s why it\'s been a pain for me to track this down. So I\'ve been dividing my efforts between directly solving the problem, and indirectly making performance faster so I can more easily iterate. Unfortunately, although my OpenGL rendering is working better, it doesn\'t seem to be actually solving the performance or memory-footprint problem. :-(

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Sad, since the big ships are actually those that consume more time for people to edit/improve/remake/paint/etc. Well then, good luck with it :) I\'ll keep checking in for updates.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    So, while chewing on solving the problem of chunk dropout on big ships, I wrote another feature that should be of general use: text drawing.

From the paint bar -> Mods -> Text will let you pick a font, size, style, color and text and then draw it in the selected region.

I used it to create this silly \"ship\" so I can get a better idea of where the dropouts are occuring. You can use it to write \"Galactica\" or your faction\'s name or other directions on the side of things. It\'s a small step from here to being able to draw bitmaps. I\'ll get to that eventually (or when people agitate for it).

In the meantime, back to the big ship problem...

Reaction score
    Well, I love it, but with the 1024 BSG that is not really going to happen, lol - have you tried turning that thing in the editor tool. No matter how much ram I let it have, up to 16GB it still jurks around. There are just so many blocks. LOL

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    What kind of problem you exactly have? I tried 890m long Hyperion and all importing was only few seconds long on my i7 with 5 gigs of ram allocated for java. Hyperion has 1,3 million blocks i think.

Pic: http://imgur.com/hcaAygm

I think that 1024 size shouldnt be much bigger than 890 (roughly 50% more cubic volume).

Reaction score
    944k blocks + hollow hull only. There is an issue also with he right hanger pilon. In the edit tool if you turn it, it is turn and wait to see how far you turned it. I really should put a known ship next to it so show it off. A real testement to the tool. http://mm-clan.com/pics/BSGTOP.png

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Ah, this problem...

Same issue here on left wing: http://imgur.com/4pBkMha

I believe its a bug with chunks that is jjaquinta working on.

edit: as you can see on your BSG, there is also transverse error, just between rear gun batteries.

BTW, Im a BSG fan too, your model is very good.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    And i found a way how to make perfect spheres.

I use Wings3D to work with 3d models. Its very easy to make sphere, export as .obj and then binvox it with exact size.

Say hi to the Death Star (500m diameter): http://imgur.com/UheBkto