Offline Ship Editor

Reaction score
    I still only imports a quarter of the ship into blender. And for my battleship, blender refused to import it at all.

Reaction score
    You are so close now!!!

I will get a screen shot later, but there is so much detail now! All the turents are marked and shaped, I did not realize we were missing so many. And the back part where the line segment was is gone now!

But, you knew this was coming... lol

The right hanger pylon and support arms are different now. Where the break in the arms was is still there, and the hanger pylon, is missing every thing from that point outward. So the point in the posted screen shots on is missing.

It will be way later to day EST that I can get a screen shot up.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I did my Gettysburg Address test and verified the same StarMade bug exists on the x and y axis. I applied the change to those axis as well and I can now read text correctly all down the size of a 1000m long ship orientated in X, Y, or Z. So I think that will clear up the problem.

Hopefully.

Please god.

Then I get on to more interesting things. (Like reducing lag. Sigh.)

Reaction score
    Hi,

Was there an update, I did a manual download, and it is the same version, I ran the SMEdit and there was no up date, same version sep 15 224824? This is the one I was using? =]

I see that it is pulling from the same locations for updates (removed all files and ran it) so the JoFileMods.jar is a 0k file. that is not good. Lots of errors. =]

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    btw, do we still download the updates, 2 files from the first post, or do you really use the wikia as your \"official place\" and that SMEdit launcher ? Apparently most people now only know about SMedit :D

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    Hi everyone, I thought i\'d post here as I\'m writing some tutorials for SMedit and I\'m trying to learn as much as I can about the tool to make them useful guides :D Initially i made a few self contained videos to answer some questions people had about what I did. I am sure that there are many ways to do it and I\'m still trying to find the best way.

I did an Introduction Installation video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk-CelGwKe8

and a start to finish .obj to Ship conversion video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUPBh0QJPK8

I originally made these models when I initially was told about this method:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMbao0d08P0

I\'d like input from anyone who has been involved with this process or has used the technique to complete anything. It\'s a great tool and with combination of a few more I have imported even minecraft .schematics!

I\'ll always favour building everything by hand as it\'s so rewarding when your done, but for the purposes of making replica\'s of famous ships, this makes scale and sillhouette accuracy easy to pull off!

Thanks again Jo for all the hard work :D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Both should work. But SMEdit is the preferred direction because it can detect and download new versions of the other two. (It\'s like the StarMade launcher program.) I\'m not 100% convinced all the bugs are worked out yet. But it\'s been going pretty good.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Silly me. I didn\'t obsessively watch my upload. FTP hung halfway through. Please try again.

Also, deleting your jo_sm.date file should be sufficient to make SMEdit think everything is new, FWIW.

Reaction score
    I have used a workstation at this office to check, very very laggy, I can see where peeps would have issue with this ship, even if it was used as a station or platform.

But I have great news (with out a detailed fly by) EVERYTHING IS THERE!!!!

And damn does it look good.

I will post a picture later, but I beleave with the largest model I know we are working with, we can put a pin in this and move on to being able to edit this critter in SMEdit!

Cheers!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Good. I feel I have earned your generous donation now. :)

I \"relaxed\" today, moved some menus around, and did some internal work. In addition to writing plugins you can write plugin factories. Why would you want plugins that make more plugins? Dynacism, that\'s why. The first thing I implemented with it was to make the View filters user configurable. (In response to a request from MichaelSeph a while back.) Basically the factory plugin reads an XML plugin, and generates from that the other plugins.

Anyway, more details after it has been tested a bit.

It\'s D&D night tonight. But tomorrow I\'ll start looking at those three tracks I mentioned for improving response.

Reaction score
    Unfortunately it seems that OBJ exporting is still only outputting half/third of the ship (It\'s always the same section too), for really large builds (such as space stations) my editor program won\'t import the OBJ at all. Also would it be possible to have the export to obj function available for planets as well?

Reaction score
    Here are some screens. I will make a 512 and 256 of this, of course there will be less detail in them, but not as laggy for system less than the one I am testing and serving from. This Hull only will be up in the ship listing soon. Thanks to JO!!

So here are the screens of the 1024m BSG 75:

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Fixing this is on my list. I may have time to look at it tomorrow. But, yes, you should be able to export anything. Have you tried?

Reaction score
    For some reason this version has bulk heads inside. Hollow did not remove them so this must be from the model or some change I made in binvox.

it still looks damn good. just means more work to finnish. =]

Reaction score
    Yep I\'ve tried. The planet will open but the export option to export as obj is missing from the file menu.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The server I play on changed the value of the hp of hull blocks to double what they normally are. This means that imported ships look completely damaged. I would like to be able to change the values of the hp (and possibly other values) of the blocks of the blueprint of any ship loaded into SMedit.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I found the problem, and was able to fix it. However, I found another problem when I tried it. Planets have a LOT of verticies. I\'m using a short for the vertex, and it ends up wrapping around to negative numbers. Erk. That\'s a deeper fix. I\'ll look at it tonight. Since the same problem is there for big ships, it might be the root of the \"it only exports 1/4 of my ship\" problem too.