Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    That's quite obviously the launcher...
    U trollin?
    The answer is obvious in the post above yours. I had either forgotten the new launcher had come out, or had completely missed it's arrival.

Az14el

Definitely not a skywanderers dev
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Fashionably late :>
    i almost miss the old one now you mention it

Reaction score
    Honestly I see this is a bit of a good thing.

I don't see "Now we have to redesign everything" as a bad thing, honestly. Its an alpha, we shouldn't be overly attached to things we built under previous iterations to start with, we're all working under the assumption that anything we make can be invalidated before launch.

If ships are having a harder time reaching their previous firepower, or having harder times powering things, I actually see that more as a downward force in general. Okay, so you are going to have a harder time making every single weapon on your ship be able to obliterate anything it hits in one shot. Thats a good thing in my book, armor tanking should be more viable. If its harder to make sustained weapons fire that cuts ships in half, we can move more into being creative with our weapons and our piloting skills instead of just relying on overpowered weapons.

Reduce the distance required for stabilizers or otherwise make them more cohesive with the reactor system to cut out some of the "reactor pods a kilometer away" stuff, make weapons a little less powerful, and we might get some fights that don't boil down to parking next to each other and unloading.
    Note that my comment was not a complaint about how powerful "powerful" is. It is that the exploitative builds that PvPers are already designing can do an extra order of magnitude more damage than anything you try to fit inside a natural looking ship design. This contradicts the core reasoning for stabilizers which is that they were supposed to make RP and PvP building more similar. Now they are way further apart in potency than they were before, and the exploits look way too egregious to even hide inside an RP built ship if you wanted to try to maximize an RP build

Reactions: Ithirahad

The_Owl

Alpha is not an excuse
    Reaction score
    Remove stabiliser distance and efficiency
    Make reactors explode and stabilisers prevent it until there are too little of them
    Make most players happy.

ez fix

Reactions: Xskyth and jw608
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Remove stabiliser distance and efficiency
    Make reactors explode and stabilisers prevent it until there are too little of them
    Make most players happy.

ez fix
    This, right here...

this is what they should've done instead.

Reaction score
    It is impossible to achieve complexity and freedom of construction with your ( yet simple in principle ) power system if your efficiency of design will be function of quantity of blocks and some simple geometrical function (like distance - reactor - stabilizer).

One constrain is not enough.
    Some players will simply find the optimum geometry and rest will repeat the pattern.
    What is the difference between good builder and bad one if all you have to do is to make a long pod-like ship?

Building generator that outputs some energy should be simple to understand and do - you already achieve it. But why you want to dumb it down so ANYone can optimize it?
    What is left for the builders if anyone can take their role?

Fuck the dudes who don't understand how to build ship - let them use the ready designs.
    Really who is hurt by that?
    Anyone is smart enough to just buy well performing design
    Part of the fun with this game was optimizing your ship power system - I hoped that new system with promote understanding of the game rules.

Tie the efficiency of power system to the non-geometrical measure rather than that tie it to the amount of information needed to describe it.
    This way intricate power system designs are prefered over solid 1000x1000x1000 block.
    And there is no one design that is optimal, rather than that very simplistic ones are penalized.
    The information content is well defined: How to measure information content needed to describe block configuration.
    You can use your internal block compressing algorithm or assume that blocks are sequences of binary string in 3d and calculate Hadamard transfrom (analogue of fourtier transform for binary strings and sum up all non-zero elements of result. The higher the number the more "complex" the design is. I.e repetitive designs are penalized.

Last edited:
    Reactions: GnomeKing
    Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    There have been several examples of these ships already posted in various discord channels
    So basically, as I said, someone reading this thread can't find much beyond bitching... which is apparently based on some designs that appeared in some sort of chat groups unrelated to these forums. Glad someone could clear that up; I must have missed that being the topic of discussion in the original post.

At least there is still someone discussing the actual "dev build". Gasboy there is a jump drive built in to the reactor system. Add a Reactor Power block, then find the jump drive in the G (weapons) menu to add to your hotbar. You can improve it by adding FTL chambers.

Reactions: Dire Venom
    Reaction score
    So basically, as I said, someone reading this thread can't find much beyond bitching... which is apparently based on some designs that appeared in some sort of chat groups unrelated to these forums. Glad someone could clear that up; I must have missed that being the topic of discussion in the original post.
    honestly most of the people in the discussion know the game well enough to agree on common sense basic stuff. obviously not everyone knows, but i took this portion of the discussion as taking place amongst people "in the know."

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    Ooookay, so. How does one make a jump drive now?
    ONE OPENS THE WEAPONS-BIND MENU, AND THEN ASSIGNS IT A NUMBER. aFTER THAT ONE READS THE .XML FILES IN /DATA/CONFIG/ AND FINDS OUT WHAT VARIOUS CHAMBERS DO (ftl ONES ARE BLANK AS OV X.13, BUT YOU CAN RECOVER WORKING CODE FROM X.11. Also, capslock is in an annoying place, what with it being next to shift.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    ONE OPENS THE WEAPONS-BIND MENU, AND THEN ASSIGNS IT A NUMBER. aFTER THAT ONE READS THE .XML FILES IN /DATA/CONFIG/ AND FINDS OUT WHAT VARIOUS CHAMBERS DO (ftl ONES ARE BLANK AS OV X.13, BUT YOU CAN RECOVER WORKING CODE FROM X.11. Also, capslock is in an annoying place, what with it being next to shift.
    I'll be more specific on the issue. The jump drive fills with power, but does not jump no matter what I click.

Finding out what the different chambers do did not require having to find an xml file.
    [doublepost=1507714355,1507714096][/doublepost]

At least there is still someone discussing the actual "dev build". Gasboy there is a jump drive built in to the reactor system. Add a Reactor Power block, then find the jump drive in the G (weapons) menu to add to your hotbar. You can improve it by adding FTL chambers.
    Glad you posted this, I hadn't realized my own temerity, posing a question in a bitchfest thread.

The jump drive charges, I did read the stuff posted about the different chambers and such. But it will not jump. With or without target. I suppose I might have avoided DrTard's sarcasm had I explained it more.

Reaction score
    The jump drive charges, I did read the stuff posted about the different chambers and such. But it will not jump. With or without target. I suppose I might have avoided DrTard's sarcasm had I explained it more.
    Curious, the integrated Jump drive in my test ships works just fine, just like it did bedore it was integrated. LMB to charge, and RMB to jump after charging, the same with or without target set. Have you tried relogging/restarting the game, or rebuilding/respawning the ship in order to rule out glitches?

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Curious, the integrated Jump drive in my test ships works just fine, just like it did bedore it was integrated. LMB to charge, and RMB to jump after charging, the same with or without target set. Have you tried relogging/restarting the game, or rebuilding/respawning the ship in order to rule out glitches?
    I'm just going to assume it was a glitch. I did see the usual messages that pop up when your jump drive starts charging.

Reaction score
    Dev build v.0.200.117 changelog:

- New UI elements for new power systems added to Flight Mode UI.
    - New Reactor power output doubled, Stabilizer distance limits reduced.
    - Old power stats removed from build mode stats window (when not used).

Not quite there yet, but it's getting better.

Last edited:

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Have there been any changes made to the display block code as far as the power display goes?

I can only get the old power to show.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Have there been any changes made to the display block code as far as the power display goes?

I can only get the old power to show.
    Likely not updated yet. We've been focusing on issues like crashes and balancing.

Reaction score
    The "Fuck-Bomb" cruiser designed by Flying Debris is one example. I COULD be more specific, but I tend to be intentionally vague when talking about other people's builds in public forums. If anyone from the StarMade development team wants more details, they can reach out directly.