New Power DEV Thread

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Tried saving on my local from a multiplayer server, game just kicked me out to first screen.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    In conclusion with my first post in tis thread.
    Any Ships or Stations with the old power system, will vanish . its clashing with the new power system. The game will Despawn them.
    I suspect it will do the same with Shops, considering it has the old system too. I haven't seen it happen yet, but I suspect it will.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The chamber system works on a tree system. So connect a stealth chamber up to the reactor and when you see the tree you need to get the stealth strength upgraded to 2 before jamming unlocks. You need to upgrade to strength of 3 to unlock cloaking. The join 2 new chambers to the stealth strength chamber, NOT the reactor. This then allows you to select those two chambers and select jamming and cloaking. While some chambers can be upgraded in levels other chambers can only be selected after linking like the chamber diagram shown for when you setup the first chamber of that type. For instance all the shield and armour defence upgrades require you to have one chamber set to shield or armour then the chambers connected to that can select the upgrades that actually do something.

In order to get the dev version running properly I had to completely uninstall starmade in steam and then install then update to dev version. I also backed up all the blueprints I wanted to keep. Most of those were turrets with no power blocks. Those I could admin spawn in.

Note I've been running to a bug with the cloaking systems. Basically I can make the ship and setup the chambers when when logging back into the game they get erased. Even spawning in the blueprint when the chambers were setup results in it being removed for now.

Also note all damage per block for weapons has also doubled..... gun/beam weapon systems have doubled dps per block to 20 and missiles are at 40....I assume the same has happened to pulse....

Reaction score
    Steam is shit and you should never use it if there's an alternative, even a bad one.
    All I had to do was to run the dev was make a Starmade\DEV folder and download/install all stuff there. Works right out of the box.
    How you people manage to screw up such simple tasks is beyond me. Then again, Steam might have helped you with that.
    Dump Steam, use the launcher and make Starmade\DEV and Starmade\RELEASE folders for dev and release versions respectively.
    I'll save you plenty of time and wasted brain cells.

I did encounter a disappearing chambers bug as well, though it was just a few blocks and those were defensive chambers on a station.

Finally, speaking of defense chamber tree, I don't quite grasp the DPS and Alpha effects.
    I assume they're the defensive Ion effect replacement.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    For DPS and alpha shield. I think in the end, that's the shield level when it hits max regen rate is my guess.... I think hotspot means the best percentage for highest regen. So if someone is doing dps damage to you the shields are at max regen at 75% level and good at resisting dps damage. When someone has alpha hits you, your shields are at max regen at 25% level so good at regenerating when taking a big hit.

Reaction score
    What I can't figure out is why my turrets aren't working.

The AI won't seem to activate and they won't move manually either. They aren't blocked. I triple checked.

Ideas? Comments? Suggestions?

Top 4ce

Force or Ace?
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    What I can't figure out is why my turrets aren't working.

The AI won't seem to activate and they won't move manually either. They aren't blocked. I triple checked.

Ideas? Comments? Suggestions?
    Might be a bug.

I'm trying this again, This time I have made a separate folder on the desktop for just Dev Build. And I'm saving my designs to blueprint.

1 Major Problem I found, is its clashing badly with the old system. When I'm docked to a shop in build mode and I add the new power blocks, game crashes and have to restart . So I undocked from the shop and added the new power to my ship, its fine. Now to dock back up to keep my ship safe while I'm away. As soon as I docked, game crashed, and it wont let you back in at all, had to restart a new world and delete the old world to get back into the game.

There for shops need there power updated to new system before you can actually dock your new ship.
    [doublepost=1507284728,1507283000][/doublepost]

How did you get the Jammer to work, I tried everything and couldn't use it at all. I tried every chamber too, found nothing for the Jammer there too.
    The docking issues is a known bug.

Reaction score
    Anyone noticed the focus fire targeting offset yet? Seems to be affecting every weapon. When you focus fire (left MB) on a target, the guns will actually shoot several inches below and to the right of the cursor (at least on my screen). Non-focused fire works just fine. I found this out testing my salvage array on an asteroid, but according to other threads on the forums, this seems to be affecting all shipboard weapons.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    They really need to add a FCS (Firing control system) chamber, or just built into every shipcore. This would mean we can simply lock on to targets just like an AI would, but with our main weapons. Then improve it even further by allowing multiple targets to be locked on in your view, depending on how many groups of weapons you have.

Say you made a big expensive ship and then you fight 100 small "efficient" but cheap ships.
    This would stop quantity over quality when alpha weapons are staring down a swarm of mosquitoes and can only hit 1 at a time, as I can easily see this happening with the new power update. Spreading out a swarm would take time, but your ship could be fast enough to catch 2 or more at a time.

Then we won't have to perform math on a PHD level (and MLG FPS accuracy) to hit something, and our weapons would actually be worth using no matter what they are.

Otherwise i'll just have a ship with no main weapon and turrets to hit stuff. How does this relate to power? Well missed shots = wasted power = less efficient ship = etc.

Last edited:
    Reactions: JumpSuit and JinM
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Multiple symetry displaced when not looking at a block : Check
    Player created faction AI not working even with admin comand : Check
    Crash on trying to save entity on local : Check
    Power not powering factories and other ressources transforming blocks : Check

Reaction score
    So how long will we have to wait until this update will released? Feels like at least another month to me. I mean if this will take like 6 more weeks I can go and calmly play the old version. Maybe I try out the new one when it's more finished. But it sounds like the next 4 weeks the state of the update will not be a fun one to play.

Top 4ce

Force or Ace?
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    So how long will we have to wait until this update will released? Feels like at least another month to me. I mean if this will take like 6 more weeks I can go and calmly play the old version. Maybe I try out the new one when it's more finished. But it sounds like the next 4 weeks the state of the update will not be a fun one to play.
    Dev builds rarely are fun to play, they're fun to test. But at this state its not ready for release, and that's fine. I rather have it done right with feedback now than rushed to release and have everyone pissed and complaining about bugs.

Jarraff

filthy neutral
    Reaction score
    With stabilizer blocks included we only get about 25 power out of each block. I think they might have made a decimal point error.
    [doublepost=1507329763,1507329659][/doublepost]Let the bug reports flow.

Top 4ce

Force or Ace?
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    With stabilizer blocks included we only get about 25 power out of each block. I think they might have made a decimal point error.
    Its a different scale. Someone at some point said that if you multiply it by 5, you get close to the old numbers for reference.

Jarraff

filthy neutral
    Reaction score
    Ok I will have to test it with system a bit later when I get back.

Reaction score
    test it :) you can power a ton of weapons with the power the new reactors already provide. Dont look at the numbers, but try what systems you can power with the new reactors.

Reaction score
    please move away from dimensional req's already ;_;

You say you want ships to have more design freedom, yet are stubbornly holding onto essentially the same design constrictions that affected power reactors.
    Was told numerous times during the power thread btw. So forget about that part, it'll stay and we'll still fly stick ship.