New Power DEV Thread

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Yep, tried that too, I went 5 sectors away, then exited the game and went back in. Then I went to the sector where my station and ships used to be. NOTHING. And I went back to regular release build, The component for Power Dev Build was still there in name plus (test). So I trashed all the new components and tried exiting and came back in. Still nothing.

Well there isn't anything I can do about it now, seeing as how I did a fresh intall of the full game. I will also add that I only play on my local server (sandbox)
    You had them saved as blueprints I hope? You can just copy them from the bp folder. Always a good idea to save your creations after every session, I've learnt that the hard way :/
    [doublepost=1507200737,1507200521][/doublepost]
    The most serious problem I see with the new power system is that it's purely based on GENERATION of power, aside from the scant little power storage innate to the core, the system has no visible power STORAGE. Unless you hybridize your power systems (add power caps alongside the new reactors), you don't get more storage than the 50k innate to any ship core (which is part of the old power system, so it's not affected at all by the new power system).

With the old system, you could calculate how much power the ships needs to be fully functional and then tailor the power system to match those calculations.

With the new system, you can still do the calculations, but as you have no storage capacity beyond the core, you can only match generation and not have any stored power to fall upon if your generation is affected.
    I agree with this. You could have high storage, low e/s, low storage but high e/s or a mix.
    Now I feel ship options are somewhat more limited, where the only thing of note is your reactor size, and even then smart building will not make it more efficient. I would personally like energy storage to still be a thing, no idea how it would work with the update though.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Okay a little bit of research done....
    Reactors with 100% stabilisation so far output 50 per block
    Shield recharges use 2 per block normally and 4 per block recharging out of combat
    Thrusters use 4 power per block when moving
    Scanner is using 51.7 power base.....

Reaction score
    I would personally like energy storage to still be a thing, no idea how it would work with the update though.
    Considering that reactors actually do have storage you could just make it so their ration of regeneration to capacity depends on their 3d shape. (Just less complex than it was).

So let's say cube reactors have balanced stats. Long reactors have greater capacity and plate reactors have better regeneration.

Example:
    Reactor has length to height ratio of 3 to 1. Now it has 4 times the capacity of a cube reactor but only 1/4 of it's regeneration rate.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    as far as I see power is very underwhelming and the stabilizers have to be moved way to far I had to add at least 20 to 30 more meters to my miner to get the desired power and optimal stability
    [doublepost=1507165605,1507165492][/doublepost]I would suggest eliminating distance as for stabilizers I would say have them any where you want simplicity over engineering the heck out of the design
    Heavens no. The distance is the sole reason we have stabilizers. If you had to add thirty meters to your miner, by the philosophy of these new mechanics, it was too small for the amount of equipment you wanted.

Reaction score
    I'm actually trying to come up with a way to power the mining array for my main miner, (full power consumption is around 800k for the array alone) and just adding 48k consumption worth of the new reactor blocks had me add like 4x the hull volume to get that 100% efficient. If I go for a 100% powered rating for that array, the simple task of powering more than 50k of salvage modules alone would probably mean that I'd start to get worried about the sector size being too small for the ship.

Top 4ce

Force or Ace?
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I'm actually trying to come up with a way to power the mining array for my main miner, (full power consumption is around 800k for the array alone) and just adding 48k worth of the new reactor blocks had me add like 4x the hull volume to get that 100% eficient. If I go for a 100% powered rating for that array, the simple task of powering more than 50k of salvage modules alone would probably mean that I'd start to get worried about the sector size being too small for the ship.
    I think there's still a power drain multiplier that effects multiple outputs of a weapon or salvager, and it isn't adjusted for the new reactors.

Reaction score
    I'm hoping that the consumption of the current modules (thrust, salvage, etc) is just not implemented yet. The fact that weapons seem to be powered just fine gives me an impression that this is the case. Schema did say that he wants use to be putting less blocks as far as systems go. I'm just not sure that limited it solely by power consumptio

So now I,m still upset over this, there were no warnings of this will ever happen. I think you should have waited another 6 months before releasing it to Dev Build, with more tutorials, paperwork on how to use, and what TO WATCH OUT FOR.
    Well it is unfortunate that the dev build messed up your install. That is the nature of a dev build though. Schema doesn't fully test them, he just wants feedback. You don't get an explaination of features until an actual release. I would say in the future if you want to try a dev version that you create its own install for it. That's my method and it keeps me worry and rage free.

The most serious problem I see with the new power system is that it's purely based on GENERATION of power, aside from the scant little power storage innate to the core, the system has no visible power STORAGE.
    I do miss having to figure out capacity as well. It seems to me though that everything will run by generation. Capacity is not really a thing anymore and that just seems a tad boring to me.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    I actually managed to squeeze 3950 power into my fighter while keeping the same systems and not touching the hull at all. The fighter actually perform the same as with the old power system.

Side note : AI does NOT work anymore on my factionned ships (solo game) i cannot activate it manually even after replacing the bobby module. Ships mass spawned with my faction ID sit there iddle while pirates do their things.

Wolverines527

Warrior/Builder
    Reaction score

Heavens no. The distance is the sole reason we have stabilizers. If you had to add thirty meters to your miner, by the philosophy of these new mechanics, it was too small for the amount of equipment you wanted.
    but if simplicity to new players is the goal then that distance needs to ether be taken out of the equation or taken down a notch because all we really are going to be supporting is the return of giant ships for combat and no new players will ever join

Top 4ce

Force or Ace?
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    but if simplicity to new players is the goal then that distance needs to ether be taken out of the equation or taken down a notch because all we really are going to be supporting is the return of giant ships for combat and no new players will ever join
    The distance has been scaled down in the first update of the dev. It's not really an issue now, its the demand side that needs work at the moment.

Wolverines527

Warrior/Builder
    Reaction score
    The distance has been scaled down in the first update of the dev. It's not really an issue now, its the demand side that needs work at the moment.
    ah i see I was testing when it first came out lol I would say power capacity and recharge need a buff in order to work out then

thanks for correcting me ace

Reactions: Top 4ce
    Reaction score
    It seems like when you have perma cloak and jam there is no way to disable the effect. I tried right and left clicking the sytem in hotbar and it doesn't seem to disable.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    It seems like when you have perma cloak and jam there is no way to disable the effect. I tried right and left clicking the sytem in hotbar and it doesn't seem to disable.
    Hotbar chamber functions seem unfinished, for the most part. Have you tried having a separate reactor for your stealth chamber?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    So to keep things power up you need 1 reactor block for each of the following
    25 shield rechargers, 12.5 shield rechargers for out of combat regen
    12.5 thrusters
    3 - 1/3 weapon blocks note to just maintain charge 1 reactor block will maintain 16 - 2/3 weapon blocks
    Note I haven't included the stabiliser blocks required.

Note its possible to reduce the charge required for a weapon type. At a level 4 chamber for that weapon type you can reduce the charge required down to the maintenance rate. At that point each reactor block will fully charge and maintain 16 - 2/3 weapon blocks of that type.

Under the old power system after softcap you could increase power by:
    Blocks of power generators 25/block. It would take 4 blocks to provide power for a weapon block
    Power cores or aux power generators approximately 150/block which means each block would support 1.5 weapon blocks
    At the moment the reactor blocks are far move effective at charging weapons than before even after stabilisers let alone with the offensive chambers setup.

Az14el

Definitely not a skywanderers dev
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    please move away from dimensional req's already ;_;

You say you want ships to have more design freedom, yet are stubbornly holding onto essentially the same design constrictions that affected power reactors.

Reaction score
    please move away from dimensional req's already ;_;

You say you want ships to have more design freedom, yet are stubbornly holding onto essentially the same design constrictions that affected power reactors.
    Just saying, if servers don't like the dimensional system, they are and have always been free to change that in the config files.

Az14el

Definitely not a skywanderers dev
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    It shouldn't be a req by default, and a scale from uninteresting to unhealthy isn't a useful tool
    we are aware you can just turn it off (and should be), and like all changes server side, just like using linear power under current systems, that would affect how ships are going to be constructed and ships on one server will not compare to the same ship on another, it's not at all an attractive change to make, even though it would allow "freedom of design" compared to having demanding dimensional requirements for good power supply.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    It shouldn't be a req by default, and a scale from uninteresting to unhealthy isn't a useful tool
    we are aware you can just turn it off (and should be), and like all changes server side, just like using linear power under current systems, that would affect how ships are going to be constructed and ships on one server will not compare to the same ship on another, it's not at all an attractive change to make, even though it would allow "freedom of design" compared to having demanding dimensional requirements for good power supply.
    Agreed. I feel that ship designs shouldn't be forced into shapes, and that a player should beable to make a hull, then outfit the ship without needing to rip holes all across it just so the reactor works :/
    Overall I don't see much of a need for stabilizors. I would much rather they simply provided a small bonus + reduce the chance of reactor blocks exploding when hit (like how auxiliary blocks worked). The devs have said that they will be considering and testing the idea as well :3

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Agreed. I feel that ship designs shouldn't be forced into shapes, and that a player should beable to make a hull, then outfit the ship without needing to rip holes all across it just so the reactor works :/
    Overall I don't see much of a need for stabilizors. I would much rather they simply provided a small bonus + reduce the chance of reactor blocks exploding when hit (like how auxiliary blocks worked). The devs have said that they will be considering and testing the idea as well :3
    This. Just... this. Right here.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I'm trying this again, This time I have made a separate folder on the desktop for just Dev Build. And I'm saving my designs to blueprint.

1 Major Problem I found, is its clashing badly with the old system. When I'm docked to a shop in build mode and I add the new power blocks, game crashes and have to restart . So I undocked from the shop and added the new power to my ship, its fine. Now to dock back up to keep my ship safe while I'm away. As soon as I docked, game crashed, and it wont let you back in at all, had to restart a new world and delete the old world to get back into the game.

There for shops need there power updated to new system before you can actually dock your new ship.
    [doublepost=1507284728,1507283000][/doublepost]
    How did you get the Jammer to work, I tried everything and couldn't use it at all. I tried every chamber too, found nothing for the Jammer there too.