Read by Schine Mobile Shipyards (shipyards on ships)

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    as a shipyard on a ship would always be part of the ship it ofc would not be able to create something bigger than it's own size always just the size of it's shipyard. so depending of specialization it could dewvote to building other ships or it being a shipyard would be one of several tasks it would be made for to serve as flying base of operations. As long as such a carrier is not able to be declared homebase thus making it invunerable i don't see any issues with it.

Reactions: RoAnnon
    Reaction score
    I'm just putting my 2 bits in. I'm for mobile shipyards but maybe a condition is that the factory's on it can't produce more complex station parts(warp gate parts, shipyard parts, undeathnators) and the mobile shipyard can't build other mobile shipyards. This way you at lest need to build a station to get the ship in the first place or hire some one to build it. Also you can have it where only station shipyards can repair a ship with station parts so if you do take damage you need a friend or your own station to repair.

I think that what I suggested is all that is needed to balance mobile ship yards and gives a reason to use stations still.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    I'm just putting my 2 bits in. I'm for mobile shipyards but maybe a condition is that the factory's on it can't produce more complex station parts(warp gate parts, shipyard parts, undeathnators) and the mobile shipyard can't build other mobile shipyards. This way you at lest need to build a station to get the ship in the first place or hire some one to build it. Also you can have it where only station shipyards can repair a ship with station parts so if you do take damage you need a friend or your own station to repair.

I think that what I suggested is all that is needed to balance mobile ship yards and gives a reason to use stations still.
    this still forces nomads to stop and make a station somewere... sounds nomad fuckingly stupid

Reaction score
    Is it too much to be asking to be able to play the game without requiring a station?

I just want the option to be able to base yourself out of a Mothership, or a Station, without NEEDING the other. Although in the current game, you can base yourself in a station and never have to build a capital ship to do anything.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    No.

Stations already have the massive disadvantage of being unmovable objects.

I believe if this was implemented only ships up to 100M long in any direction would be allowed any higher and you need a shipyard A REAL ONE.

Stations need to be > ships even if some of the playerbase disagrees with that.

Reaction score
    If giving ships shipyard capabilities would cause stations to become obsolete or useless, Then the issue isnt giving ships shipyard capabilities, its that stations are horribly broken.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    If giving ships shipyard capabilities would cause stations to become obsolete or useless, Then the issue isnt giving ships shipyard capabilities, its that stations are horribly broken.
    If you can create ships on a ship wha is the point in stations? tell me this? If they can use factories too what is the point in even having stations in the game?

You don't make a station because ohhh look I like station you make it because its apart of the game and you need it.

Otherwise you are not playing for pvp your doing pve / creative.

They can't move they cost money to be put down and unless they are homebased someone in a 100K block ship can keep going in and out of the sector slowly downing the stations shields and because the station can't move it can't make chase

At the moment stations are so bad that they need to be defended most of the time due to basicly being able to take all the time in the world downing one

Defences? The guy can just keep leaving recharging his shields and then warp in again and since the sector unloaded the station is still at 0 shields.

We should not make them worse.

Even when they have the block advantage stations are pointlessly bad they sit there and take fire but they have factories and shipyards and this is why we bother with stations.

I'd love nothing more then to have a one million block titan that can do anything in the game but then stations would be pointless

Mobile shipyard should not and will not be without atleast being worse then station shipyard

Reaction score
    Adding station features to ships would not break stations, as stations are already broken.

I for one am tired of constantly assembling and disassembling my stations. But now I know that asteroid trick, I can cut out some of that tedium.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Adding station features to ships would not break stations, as stations are already broken.

I for one am tired of constantly assembling and disassembling my stations. But now I know that asteroid trick, I can cut out some of that tedium.
    Lonewolfs should not be able to be a one man army and doing so you suffer the issues with that.

Stations at the moment are fine... Because they can use shipyards and factories this is why the cons are outweighed by the pros and its also why you have to keep tearing them down after use.

Furthermore if you are such a person why bother playing MP? play SP and have a central station in spawn and just go there when you need to... or spawn stations in with admin to continue your journey

Reaction score
    So because I play SP, That invalidates my desire to have a properly functioning mothership?

Blaza612

The Dog of Dissapointment
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Nomads want to be able to make a mothership and live off of it without having to use a station, does this make stations suddenly less desirable, for nomads, significantly, for people who don't desire what we want, no, not at all.

Having a home that sits in a familiar place that they can feel safe and relax in is an incentive enough to create a station rather than a ship that is a mobile stations. It's a cognitive thing, and stations will be receiving a HUGE buff because of it.

Not only that, but ships can't claim systems. If you're owning/part of a faction with more than two people, then you'll want to claim systems, as you'll most likely be interacting with other factions, and will thus need your territory to do so. A large amount of players are in factions, and they'll be sticking to using stations to claim systems and act as safe points as long as they're in those factions. Stations will provide a significant buff to factions over a mobile home, as it's capable of providing to a grander scale of people and solo managing an empire is not entirely possible. If you want to go solo, then the mobile station will be the way to go as it'll be much easier to manage/use your stuff as it travels with you, and you don't have to worry about territory.

Reaction score
    Lonewolfs should not be able to be a one man army and doing so you suffer the issues with that.

Stations at the moment are fine... Because they can use shipyards and factories this is why the cons are outweighed by the pros and its also why you have to keep tearing them down after use.

Furthermore if you are such a person why bother playing MP? play SP and have a central station in spawn and just go there when you need to... or spawn stations in with admin to continue your journey

I like how you contradict yourself in your last 2 posts in the first one you say stations are so bad they need to be constantly defended in the second you say stations are fine because they can have station only blocks.

Let me tell just clear this up for you, station only blocks don't make stations fine, in fact, station only blocks and severe planet lag are literally the only reasons people make stations in the first place.

Stations suck hard, stations with factories...... suck hard, stations with shipyards..... suck hard.

Stations need a serious buff to multiple things before they actually become viable and worth putting time into other than roleplaying, Some of the things they could do to make stations more worthwhile include but are not limited too , station weapons or station specific weapon variations that have increased range over standard weaponry so that you cannot simply attack a station from one side out of range of 90% of its weaponry, increased power generation softcaps allowing for more efficient power generation on stations, increased shield recharge rate per recharger or no in combat shield regeneration modifier ( stations are after all stationary and require no calculations or redistribution of energy to maintain the shielding effect if they can create 300k units of shield per second they can always do that because why wouldn't they be able too).

In my opinion all of these station buffs should be implemented as they make or would turn stations into a formidable and defensible position in space, somewhere to call your own, your home, somewhere you can feel safe, somewhere an enemy wouldn't dare to follow you alone rather than a liability that has to be constantly babysat.

TL DR factories and shipyards on ships would not make stations worthless, the way that stations are currently implemented make stations worthless.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Nomads want to be able to make a mothership and live off of it without having to use a station, does this make stations suddenly less desirable, for nomads, significantly, for people who don't desire what we want, no, not at all.

Having a home that sits in a familiar place that they can feel safe and relax in is an incentive enough to create a station rather than a ship that is a mobile stations. It's a cognitive thing, and stations will be receiving a HUGE buff because of it.

Not only that, but ships can't claim systems. If you're owning/part of a faction with more than two people, then you'll want to claim systems, as you'll most likely be interacting with other factions, and will thus need your territory to do so. A large amount of players are in factions, and they'll be sticking to using stations to claim systems and act as safe points as long as they're in those factions. Stations will provide a significant buff to factions over a mobile home, as it's capable of providing to a grander scale of people and solo managing an empire is not entirely possible. If you want to go solo, then the mobile station will be the way to go as it'll be much easier to manage/use your stuff as it travels with you, and you don't have to worry about territory.

Ships may not be able to claim systems but since all you need to do is plop down a faction block on anything in a system to get the mining bonus that argument seems to be invalid. A "Nomad" would be able to cruise into a system, faction block a derelict station or asteroid, claim the system, receive the homebase protection, strip the system of resources at the 12x rate, rinse repeat all without having to "set up shop"

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    the only difference why stations should be more beneficial over a ship should be that you can homebase a station but not a ship. and that is a good thing for noone want's to deal with invunerable ships. All artifical restritctions about certain blocks only work on stations are annoying at least and in no way beneficial to the games immersion. Sandbox game with artificial rules, which do not correspond to any known sci-fi lore, makes absolutely no sense. ships and stations should both be able to house factorys shipyards etc. only difference being a ship can not be made invunerable so a homebase always has to be something stationary.

Reactions: RoAnnon

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    DRYDOCK MASS ENHANCERS:

Config Setting: X (<-Have this be an integer between 2-5)

Mobile Shipyards require mass enhancing blocks to allow the shipyard structure to maintain a grasp on the material it is using to construct a ship or something. IDK, this is fluff reasoning.

Real impact:
    Each block of ship you wish to construct at a non-station shipyard, requires X amounts of mass enhancer blocks. For example, if you wanted to make a 50 block drone at your ship yard, you would need between 100 and 250 blocks of this type of enhancers taking up space on your ship, depending on config setting.
    If you wanted to make a 1000 block fighter, (around 100 mass then), you would need between 2000 and 5000 enhancers.
    For a 10,000 block fighter (around 1000 mass), you would need between 20,000 and 50,000 enhancer blocks.

These blocks would passively eat up energy, and would need to be connected to the computer.

BUT, they also, more importantly, take up space. Dedicated carrier ships would have less shields or weapons overall of a size equivalent cruiser or battleship. It would be harder to get that 60% shield armor, or the 100% overdrive effect, because you have these blocks taking up space and making your ship heavier.

Same with factories. Factories on a ship produce nothing per tick, they are REQUIRED to have Y amount of factory enhancers to produce 1 item per tick, that number should again be around 2-5, pending testing.

I feel that the same could be said for Warpgates. You must have a certain amount of mass enhancers linked to the warpgate for ships up to that mass to warp through. It could be a 1 to 1 ratio, or it could be 2-5 like the others. It should also require huge amounts of power capacity, more than normal warpgates, to "Stabilize a rift with a shifting position through spacetime" or something.

Thats just my two cents. Add onto the standard equation of "I need more blocks to do that".

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    Did you miss the part where you can hire a friend who has a station shipyard to build it?
    lol yeah
    "But I don't have that option in single player!"
    >"Okay, well you see, in single pl-"
    "But I want to be on a multiplayer server!"
    >

Reaction score
    There is a point that people are missing that could benefit station shipyards if mobile ones can happen. ATM a shipyard has to be put on the main station so if you want a small ship yard on a lift that can bring a completed fighter out or a ship yard that only comes out of station when you need to repair you often can't do it. If ship yards are allowed on ships it would mean that you can also put them on a moving part of a station.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    I want warpgates on moving parts of a station

Be like stargate, or the Doors in Monster INC.

Reactions: Blaza612

Blaza612

The Dog of Dissapointment
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Ships may not be able to claim systems but since all you need to do is plop down a faction block on anything in a system to get the mining bonus that argument seems to be invalid. A "Nomad" would be able to cruise into a system, faction block a derelict station or asteroid, claim the system, receive the homebase protection, strip the system of resources at the 12x rate, rinse repeat all without having to "set up shop"
    That's why we have a set multiplier. Didn't realize that issue before, but it's simply a matter of making capital ships have a server set multiplier on capital ships, that isn't boosted by faction territory. The default would be 3 quarters of what the current faction modifier is.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1444370107,1444370033][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I want warpgates on moving parts of a station

Be like stargate, or the Doors in Monster INC.
    If this is added, I'll need to make my own Monsters Inc. style warpgate company. xD

People request to go somewhere, we bring them the door to take them there, however for a ship it'd cost more. We'd have gates all over the galaxies. :p