Logic Beam Module

Would you prefer this over the current wireless logic modules?

• Total voters

Endal

Ex Torpedo Researcher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Logic Beam Module
    It's quite simple, implement a placeable block which emits a beam akin to the core beam when it is pulsed with a "True" signal. 6 orientations too.

Feedback is welcome.
    (EDIT:Me no gud math, think cube 8 side)

Last edited:

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    I want this in addition to wireless; wireless can transmit between a host and drones, that would be impossible with this, but wireless doesn't work with generic entities, like if you have carts traveling on rail you can interact with them using this without requiring wireless connection to everything that docks.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I want this in addition to wireless; wireless can transmit between a host and drones, that would be impossible with this, but wireless doesn't work with generic entities, like if you have carts traveling on rail you can interact with them using this without requiring wireless connection to everything that docks.
    This.

I find wireless to stillbe valuable, but have reason to want the logic beam. This would increase automation even more. I could see this being used in a cargo container to signal when it's empty, emitting a beam to cycle the next pod into place. First thing that popped in my head, as I've tried doing this before but wireless doesn't quite cut it(and wouldn't require being linked first to work).

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I'm also looking into the addition of such a block.
    But an addition not a replacement - in addition to @Rasisnbat's argument of distance for inship logic the wireless controller is crucial to me because you don't have to deal with rotation

Reaction score
    only as an alternative to wireless. would be good if it could send specific data across rather than just true/false. would only be good if usd's could use it too for things like welcome messages using shipnames.... wireless should be kept because it is more secure.

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Not a replacement, but a very welcome addition. Also, contact logic.

Reactions: nightrune

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Precisely. Furthermore, this is far less likely to break due to changes in other code, and even if wireless logic blocks were 100% stable this would be more useful for a lot of current wireless applications (basically cross-rails logic, where the location of the other entity is predictable).
    [doublepost=1476624609,1476624324][/doublepost]HolyCookie thoughts?

Daeridanii

Detail Devil
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Once again, this would be pretty cool as an addition to the wireless logic module, but not a replacement.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Purchased!
    Logic Beam Module
    It's quite simple, implement a placeable block which emits a beam akin to the core beam when it is pulsed with a "True" signal. 8 directional orientation too.

Feedback is welcome.
    In my opinion, "replace is not the point", i think would be better if we have a block that can "send one signal in one direction", more like a "beam logic", that can be good for short distances betwen entities

Endal

Ex Torpedo Researcher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Thanks for the feedback! There seems to be a misconception here, I dont intend to completely replace the current wireless block, instead, I am suggesting to make another means of inter-entity logic to make certain systems easier, hence I use "prefer", not "only use"

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Once again, this would be pretty cool as an addition to the wireless logic module, but not a replacement.
    Never said it would be a literal replacement, just that it would replace a lot of the things that wireless is being used for ATM.

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I like it In addition to current wireless blocks. Plus I also like the idea of wireless display modules that nightrune came up with.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Precisely. Furthermore, this is far less likely to break due to changes in other code, and even if wireless logic blocks were 100% stable this would be more useful for a lot of current wireless applications (basically cross-rails logic, where the location of the other entity is predictable).
    [doublepost=1476624609,1476624324][/doublepost]HolyCookie thoughts?
    What I think about it?
    Power Supply/Drain interact to logic.
    and while we are at it....
    astronaut gear, logic beamer

But I did change my mind a bit, instead of using power supply/drain, I'd rather have a new thing or some way using the slaving system.

also:
    Read by Schine - Logic Activator beam
    containing:
    Logic Beam
    A possible solution for cross ship logic and hotbar logic
    Activator beam
    Activation Beam
    More wireless receivers and emitters

You have 7 suggestions waiting before you.... press 1 to speak to some cake guy, press 2 to talk to the cat god, press 3 to consult an ex-councilor, press 4 to start a revolution, press 5 for a StarMade meme.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Right, when I tagged you I forgot that there is no council... :P

Endal

Ex Torpedo Researcher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hmm, should I press 2 or 4? Hm...

Anyway, the one read by schine does not suggest a seperate block to emit logic beams, and the ones that do suggest it are not read by schine (how coincidental). I also felt that this was not brought up enough so I was obliged to bring it up again, hopefully this time with results.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Hmm, should I press 2 or 4? Hm...

Anyway, the one read by schine does not suggest a seperate block to emit logic beams, and the ones that do suggest it are not read by schine (how coincidental). I also felt that this was not brought up enough so I was obliged to bring it up again, hopefully this time with results.
    I think that once the council is back online this should be easy to get through, looking at how much the system had already improved last term... All it would need is a friendly reminder once the councilors are elected. I'll tell andy about it though, maybe he can pop it on the board somewhere (or at least prepare something for next councilors to take a look at)

Endal

Ex Torpedo Researcher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think that once the council is back online this should be easy to get through, looking at how much the system had already improved last term... All it would need is a friendly reminder once the councilors are elected. I'll tell andy about it though, maybe he can pop it on the board somewhere (or at least prepare something for next councilors to take a look at)
    Thanks!