• Logic Activated Camera Beam

Votes: 4 66.7%
    • Movement effect modules are able to activate logic

Votes: 2 33.3%
    • Wireless logic is sufficient as is

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    This has been suggested before, with the earliest dating to 2013 and the latest in late 2015, in these threads:
    Common ideas from these threads include:
    • Linking a new logic block to a weapon system
    • Emitters and receivers
    • A new block that would emit a logic beam when activated
    • Having the camera block emit a logic beam when activated
    While having the camera block emit the logic beam would be the most simple solution, problems can be encountered when switching between cameras on a ship. I would like to reiterate this suggestion in particular with one added stipulation: the cameras that are slaved to logic blocks, and therefore able to emit a logic signal, would be unable to be used as a regular camera and would only function as "logic beam emitter." The merits of this system over others are that it is relatively simple and that it would not take up a new block id.

With this new take on an old idea in mind a new problem can be taken by certain parties: a lack of depth or role play application, essentially becoming a system that is overly simple or has a lack of viable applications. Because of this, I would also like to suggest a brand new idea: that the movement effects (push, pull, and stop) would be able to activate logic blocks. This would allow an immersive system that has more applications than that of a camera, as different types of weapons, such as cannons or dumb fire missiles, would be able to trigger logic mechanisms. In addition to this players would be able to combine a variety of secondary weapons in order to achieve a different signal. For example, if one wanted a continuous/faster logic beam they could link cannon modules to the secondary slot, or if one wanted a randomized signal missile modules could be linked up.

Overall both systems would add much needed ease to cross entity logic support, and would greatly simplify the system as a whole. It would primarily be used for static objects with multiple entities, ensuring wireless systems are still relevant, as they would be far more practical with separate moving entities.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Going to go ahead and throw my support in again for Camera's getting the ability to shoot a static logic beam on activation.
    With the current state of wireless blocks needing to be paired ahead of time I will support any idea that gives more viable options for "trans entity logic"
    We should not need receivers for this since logic beams can toggle normal logic blocks as is.

There is currently a bug that prevents logic beams from working when the ship is docked, this should hopefully be fixed soon. (already tracked as bug)

As for the effects system I don't know if that would add enough to the game to justify the work needed on it.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I've had many ideas stopped by a problem that always resulted in this suggestion. Having, for example, A carrier with fighters that have expandable wings. The fighters don't fit with the wings out but they would fit when the wings are in. Atm we could do it with some wireless signals but when a fighter is destroyed or needs replacement, I would need to rewire all those wireless signals. With a beam like this the ship and the carrier don't need pre-wiring or something. It would make many universal things possible.

Reaction score
    Going to go ahead and throw my support in again for Camera's getting the ability to shoot a static logic beam on activation.
    With the current state of wireless blocks needing to be paired ahead of time I will support any idea that gives more viable options for "trans entity logic"
    We should not need receivers for this since logic beams can toggle normal logic blocks as is.

There is currently a bug that prevents logic beams from working when the ship is docked, this should hopefully be fixed soon. (already tracked as bug)

As for the effects system I don't know if that would add enough to the game to justify the work needed on it.
    Good point, that the camera system would more than likely be a lot simpler.

I've had many ideas stopped by a problem that always resulted in this suggestion. Having, for example, A carrier with fighters that have expandable wings. The fighters don't fit with the wings out but they would fit when the wings are in. Atm we could do it with some wireless signals but when a fighter is destroyed or needs replacement, I would need to rewire all those wireless signals. With a beam like this the ship and the carrier don't need pre-wiring or something. It would make many universal things possible.
    This is a great example of the practical applications of this system. I think that it could be just about as useful in designing simpler automated cargo systems, as an automated system would involve far fewer steps without the need for wireless controls.

Reactions: Macharius

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    An interesting suggestion. I imagine this is for cross entity connections and interactivity. I think maybe Bench or AndyP would have more insight. I see no problem with it however and will archive this suggestion.