Launcher starts, game doesn't.

PainNigouto

Emperor/Toymaker
    Reaction score
    as it says, once i press 'start game' all java-related activity ceizes to exist. no game starting or anything else for that matter. started since I installed the patch a few hours ago.

-PS. sorry but i cant seem to include the logs as it is too big (1.17Mb). plz tell if you know something that does work for you guys

Reaction score
    • Tester
    Delete the content of (starmadeinstallfolder)\logs
    then start and crash the game again and zip everything inside that logs folder and add it to a posting here
    What OS are you using? What CPU and GPU are you using and how much RAM is installed?
    Ae you using the new or the old launcher?

PainNigouto

Emperor/Toymaker
    Reaction score
    ok, here's what came up in the logs.
    i have a Dell XPS. i7 1.73 GHz processor, 4Gb RAM (2,93 usable because i had to nerf my ram due to heat-related design-flaws in this type of laptop) Win 10 32-bit OS, x64- based processor (yes i can upgrade but dont have the external storages to do so).

i know these specs are horrible for todays standards, but its been running SM relatively smooth on the low settings.

-ps, before sumone brings it up again.. no, an upgrade is not something i can afford right now

Attachments

Reaction score
    • Tester
    New launcher 32 bit ? ... i assume you are using the old one?

check under memory settings (top left drop down menu in launcher) and make sure you havnt put in to big values.
    i would advice to use 1024/512/128 there

PainNigouto

Emperor/Toymaker
    Reaction score
    ye, sorry. old launcher and i use 1024/128/128 as my current memory settings..

changing initial memory to 512 doesnt help

i did tweak my java configuration (added Xmx1024m under runtime parameter) a few days ago.. changed it to default but again, no changes

Reaction score
    • Tester
    try the new launcher then .. it comes with a different Java bundled .. maybe its a newer Java<- >Win problem.
    launcher in this post under windows 32bit Launcher public beta!
    please place it under c:/starmade (or a similar place not controlled by the OS) and when the launcher asks for install path use c:\starmade\game (to make it easier to find alongside the launcher)

PainNigouto

Emperor/Toymaker
    Reaction score
    HA, Chrome tells me its 'potentially dangerous' due to its low amount of downloads.

in all serousness tho, i succesfully installed the new launcher and i get the same result... altho i briefly got a small screen popping up for a tenth of a second saying something like initializing starmade or something..

also,more logs from the new launcher

Attachments

Reaction score
    • Tester
    OK . ends at exactly the same spot. The initialising thing was when it did exctract the game resources (can be seen in the log.txt.1 file)
    so its not the java version .. its not the install path .. and it isnt a broken install or the memory settings .. that is very bad news :(
    Will ask back .. or point someone else here

Reaction score
    If I were to guess, I'd say something is broken in the 32-bit FastNoise library:

Code:
    [...]
    [2016-07-13 20:31:40] [GUI] NO STARMADE-WINDOW CONFIG FOUND. Using defaults
    [2016-07-13 20:31:40] [LIBLOADER] OS Windows 8.1 - 6.3
    [2016-07-13 20:31:40] [LIBLOADER] JAVA Oracle Corporation - 1.7.0_80 - C:\Starmade\starmade-launcher-win32-ia32\dep\java\jre1.7.0_80
    [2016-07-13 20:31:40] [LIBLOADER] ARCHITECTURE x86
    [2016-07-13 20:31:40] [LIBLOADER] LOADED WINDOWS 32bit NATIVE LIBRARIES

(both logs end here)
    versus
    Code:
    [...]
    [2016-07-13 17:32:17] [INIT] Segment Database Path: /StarMade/starmade-0.198.476/./server-database/big_planets/DATA; exists? true; is Dir? true; creating dir sucessfull (gives false if exists)? false
    [2016-07-13 17:32:17] [LIBLOADER] OS Linux - 4.4.6-gentoo
    [2016-07-13 17:32:17] [LIBLOADER] JAVA Oracle Corporation - 1.8.0_91 - /usr/lib64/icedtea8/jre
    [2016-07-13 17:32:17] [LIBLOADER] ARCHITECTURE amd64
    [2016-07-13 17:32:17] [LIBLOADER] LOADED LINUX 64bit OPENAL LIBRARIES
    [2016-07-13 17:32:17] [LIBLOADER] LOADED LINUX 64bit NATIVE LIBRARIES
    [2016-07-13 17:32:17] [LIBLOADER] FastNoiseSIMD Seed: 101
    [2016-07-13 17:32:17] [LIBLOADER] FastNoiseSIMD Level: 2
    [2016-07-13 17:32:17] [LIBLOADER] COMPLETE
    [2016-07-13 17:32:17] [MAIN] CHECKING IF MIGRATION NECESSARY
    [...]

EDIT:

Ninja'd ;)

Auburn

Game Developer
    Reaction score
    There may also me a native crash log in your logs directory, or base directory called "hs_err_pid####.log" if you could post that I can get more details on the issue.

PainNigouto

Emperor/Toymaker
    Reaction score
    here they are, I seem to have 3 of them. and thank you SmilingDemon for your help :)

edit: these logs came from the new client folder in case that is important

Attachments

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I just encountered this error on my Dad's computer.

Did a quick check, and the freshly installed StarMade appears to be missing a very large amount of files.

on first run, his and mine both shat out a "preparing one-time files" popup, and then his system stops running Java completely.
    Java will straight up no-longer run untill he does a hard re-start of the computer.

Mine? takes about a minute, then the game runs.

So, your problem is likely not in the game itself, but might be in that godless pre-loader you are relying on to "set up" the game's files.
    Since, if that loader doesn't run, Java keeps on working just fine.
    He can even go and play V0.198.223 build 20160627_191803. (aka the previous numbered Release version we had been using)

Reaction score
    • Tester
    the missing files may just be that the game on first launch creates and extracts alot of files it needs to create universes and all default config files.
    if these are not the cause ... use the launcher option to repair and redownload missing/broken files. make sure you do disable the virusscanner (especially Avast) that could be a cause for damaged files.
    if this then isnt wroking get us the log files and those hs_err_pid things Auburn talked about (if there are any)

PainNigouto

Emperor/Toymaker
    Reaction score
    i assume you mean the force install and overwrite all function of the new launcher? ran it with my AVG off. again, nope..

so i guess i can pretty much assume this isnt going to be a quick fix

Attachments

Reaction score
    • Tester
    Sorry .. i was talking to Lord_Greyscale in my last post ...
    i hope Auburn can figure out what causes it with the help of your logfiles.

are you able to install an older Version and run that (just select a new install folder in the browser and change under release to the last Version .. .223 i think) ?

Auburn

Game Developer
    Reaction score
    I assume the patch previous to this (with the new asteroids) was working, in which case something odd has happened. Could you download THIS and let me know if it runs and what the "SIMD Level" is. Could you also let me know the full model of the CPU you have, or the dell service tag so I can look it up.

Lord_Greyscale I assume you were also using 32bit Windows when you encountered this error?

Thanks

Reaction score
    Auburn , Actually, myself and my dad are both using 64-bit Windows.
    (on his end, some games falsely report it as 32-bit[and that is it's own weird-ass problem], but, the ones that do so all require 64-bit to run, and they do run.)

Later today I'll be able to get his logs, as he's currently using his computer for other games.
    I'll allso be able to check if doing a re-download of the working versions still has 'em working, since we had simply been running each major revision number from it's own separate folder.
    (IE: 198.146 had it's own folder, 198.223 had it's own, 198.476 got it's own.)
    (we started doing that after 19289, it rather violently disagreed with a previously generated universe, and we had to start over)

Auburn

Game Developer
    Reaction score
    It may be 32bit java, the logs will show if thats true.

PainNigouto

Emperor/Toymaker
    Reaction score
    yup, the thing works (looks like a height map used by worldseeders). SIMD level says SSE4.1 (there is a setting for it too which i left on auto
    my proccessor is an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 740 @ 1.73GHz0 (found the model: Dell XPS l501x)

and yea.. the asteroid update worked after one of the hotfixes, there was a post about that in which u suggested i'd overwrite a file with the same one from the patch before that (Bug - Starmade Quits after I click Launch)... i tried that too this time as the symptoms are exactly the same both times, but to no avail

Auburn

Game Developer
    Reaction score
    Try replacing "[StarMade Base Dir]/native/windows/StarMadeNative.dll" with the version I have attached.

Attachments