Launcher public beta!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

calani

Dreaming of Sushi ~
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Greetings, citizens ~

Prior to releasing the launcher, we want to do a public beta to help ensure it will work correctly across all machines. The official testers have been invaluable in finding bugs with it -- and some minor ones remain -- but the comparatively small hardware/software sample size makes it impossible to be confident enough for a full release.

That said, I would be most appreciative of any of you who would download and experiment with the launcher. If you encounter any issues, please post them below with as much detail as is necessary (launcher log, steps to reproduce, screenies, java version, launcher console output, etc). The more testing we have, the better the result!

The launcher writes to launcher.log within its folder. While reproducing a bug, please run the launcher with --verbose to include all log entries for debugging purposes and attach the file, along with all other relevant information, to the bug report.

Here are the links for the most recent build (v2.0.9, hash: 93047c2, number: #146 #147 #150 #163):

You can view the changelog for build #163 here (on page 3).

Enjoy! ^^
    and thank you for your help!

------

Important notes:
    • The 32bit launcher may cause issues on 64bit systems; please use the appropriate version!
    • The Windows launcher will not run on XP or older. There are no plans to support these OS's.

Last edited:

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Greetings, citizens ~

Prior to releasing the launcher, we want to do a public beta to help ensure it will work correctly across all machines. The official testers have been invaluable in finding bugs with it -- and some minor ones remain -- but the comparatively small hardware/software sample size makes it impossible to be confident enough for a full release.

That said, I would be most appreciative of any of you who would download and experiment with the launcher. If you encounter any issues, please post them below with as much detail as is necessary (os, java, ram, launcher settings, steps to reproduce, screenies, etc). The more testing we have, the better the result!

Here are the links for the most recent build (#146):

Enjoy! ^^
    Yay Thread! I'll be throwing this onto both machines for testing.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Guessing the other beta launcher will auto upgrade into this one or do we have to redownload?

BJammin

Part-Time Eldritch Abomination
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Cool! So far, seems very easy to use, while also maintaining a similar feel to the in-game UI. Nice work so far!

Wolverines527

Warrior/Builder
    Reaction score
    Looks like we are coming very close to a final product and im still without a computer to try the beta:(

calani

Dreaming of Sushi ~
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Guessing the other beta launcher will auto upgrade into this one or do we have to redownload?
    I haven't added it to the Steam betas, so for the moment you will need to download it from the links above.

Reaction score
    • Supporter
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    First thing I noticed: the steps for increasing the memory are too huge. I have 8gb of RAM and 4gb is the first smaller step i can use.

Reaction score
    Code:
    $ ./starmade-launcher ./starmade-launcher: error while loading shared libraries:
    libgconf-2.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    The GConf configuration system is part of the Gnome desktop environment, which not everybody can be assumed to have installed, for various reasons (using KDE may be one of them, or using a lightweight alternative). Installing libgconf was trivial, but I was under the impression the new launcher was meant as a be-all, end-all self contained package; you may want to ship libgconf with the archive.

Reaction score
    I can confirm the overly optimistic memory config, not all of us like to use high memory settings, would be better to start from 1gb and increase in 1gb increments or so...

Running this on Windows 10 Home 64bit, with 8gb memory, and I'm running both Deicated Server and Client on the same laptop, so being able to save some memory for other programs is key...

Last edited:

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    I can confirm the overly optimistic memory config, not all of us like to use high memory settings, would be better to start from 1gb and increase in 1gb increments or so...

Running this on Windows 10 Home 64bit, with 8gb memory, and I'm running both Deicated Server and Client on the same laptop, so being able to save some memory for other programs is key...
    1GB is not enough to run the game, especially if you're running both the client and the server. Our minimum requirements specify that at least 2GB must be allocated to the game, and even this number is still too small. The launcher was created to reduce as many issues as possible for a new user, setting the initial max memory to 1 GB would be disastrous. You can specify it as 1GB if you wish.

First thing I noticed: the steps for increasing the memory are too huge. I have 8gb of RAM and 4gb is the first smaller step i can use.
    The steps are in a power of 2, there have been a few issues with this in the past. As I mentioned before, we're trying to avoid as many issues as we possibly can with this launcher. You can specify whatever number you want in the number entry box :).

Reaction score
    • Supporter
    • Master Builder Bronze
    The steps are in a power of 2, there have been a few issues with this in the past. As I mentioned before, we're trying to avoid as many issues as we possibly can with this launcher. You can specify whatever number you want in the number entry box :).
    I didn´t even notice it... this is perfect. Now I feel dumb.

Reactions: DukeofRealms
    Reaction score
    1GB is not enough to run the game, especially if you're running both the client and the server. Our minimum requirements specify that at least 2GB must be allocated to the game, and even this number is still too small. The launcher was created to reduce as many issues as possible for a new user, setting the initial max memory to 1 GB would be disastrous. You can specify it as 1GB if you wish.

I'm running both Server and Client at 3gb maximum memory, also if you enter something in the text boxes, it doesn't seem to be saving the settings(even if I click "Save"), and is reverting to 4gb as default. If I jot down 3gb in the box and save it, the next time I go change the settings, they have reverted to 4gb.

Reaction score
    • Supporter
    • Master Builder Bronze
    I'm running both Server and Client at 3gb maximum memory, also if you enter something in the text boxes, it doesn't seem to be saving the settings(even if I click "Save"), and is reverting to 4gb as default. If I jot down 3gb in the box and save it, the next time I go change the settings, they have reverted to 4gb.
    I don´t have this problem.

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Are you specifying it in MB? So, the value would be 3072? I'm not experiencing this issue. You'll have to specify your OS and any other changed settings.

Reaction score
    Are you specifying it in MB? So, the value would be 3072? I'm not experiencing this issue. You'll have to specify your OS and any other changed settings.
    I'm running latest version of Starmade, on Windows 10 Home 64bit, 8gb Ram, AMD 8750M graphics, Intel 3210M processor.

Memory Settings:

Dedicated Server:
    Max: 3072
    Init: 2048
    Early: 512

Client:

These are the memory settings I use on two different Launcher v16's when I run the server & client(one is running server, the other is running client), mods include halfsize nav markers and fireballed suns...

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    I'm running latest version of Starmade, on Windows 10 Home 64bit, 8gb Ram, AMD 8750M graphics, Intel 3210M processor.

Memory Settings:

Dedicated Server:

Client:

These are the memory settings I use on two different Launcher v16's when I run the server & client(one is running server, the other is running client), mods include halfsize nav markers and fireballed suns...
    Yes, I get the same issue when I change everything to match your settings.

calani

Dreaming of Sushi ~
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!

Memory Settings:

Dedicated Server:

Client:

Yes, I get the same issue when I change everything to match your settings.
    Noted.

The cause is that the slider's min value is the next power of two up from (initial+early), meaning 4096 in your case. Expected behavior would be using this value as a non-power-of-two lower bound. I will add it in.

Update: Added.

Last edited:
    Reactions: nightrune
    Reaction score
    • Tester
    pff ... the curse of having to much memory .. i guess none of us testing that thought of a thing like that ^^

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Don't have more than 4GB so being able to set to 3GB is kinda handy. Seems to not care I have it maxed out at 4 though until something big wanders into the loaded sector radius. XD

Reaction score
    I found a couple of minor bugs.
    1. I have two monitors and the launcher windows open half on one monitor and half on the other.
    2. The windows don't remember the last place I moved them to.

Status
    Not open for further replies.