Kupu's thread

Reaction score
    Yeah, it's a bug I've been experiencing for over a year. As far as I can tell my GPU, heat, and PSU are all fine. This is is the only game it occurs in, and it only happens on things further away in build mode. First/third person, astronaut mode, and the debug cam are both fine. I think it's an issue with simple lighting, actually. Jaaskinal suggested setting it to simple lighting only in graphics, and that caused build mode to entirely be this, instead of just things a few chunks away.
    I can confirm that these kind of effects do occur in other games and that they can be independent of the hardware setup.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Jaaskinal suggested setting it to simple lighting only in graphics, and that caused build mode to entirely be this, instead of just things a few chunks away.
    From our old reports (pre phabricator era), we tracked it to frame buffer issues. Could you try disabling the frame buffer when the issue appears for direct comparison?

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    From our old reports (pre phabricator era), we tracked it to frame buffer issues. Could you try disabling the frame buffer when the issue appears for direct comparison?
    All turning Framebuffer on and off seems to do is make my game slightly darker.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Work in progress etc etc.

Green logic?! Are you mad?!
    Sensors and Area triggers do not output a signal themselves directly, they need to be linked to an activator. Green will be used to prevent misinterpreting their default states as High or Low signals.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    I'm in love with the power auxiliary texture. The server textures still seem out of place for me. Going to have to test later in game.

It might just be a suspension of disbelief problem since I know what actual server racks look like.

Reactions: kupu

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Man, I can't even find words for some of these. Incredibly good looking!

Love what you did with the gravity module top/bottom! :D

Reactions: kupu

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    I'm in love with the power auxiliary texture
    Phew.. glad you guessed this one correctly!

It might just be a suspension of disbelief problem since I know what actual server racks look like.
    Yea, perhaps. On top of that most "computer" stuff is having to get simplified and scaled up to prevent overly detail dense blocks, almost to cartoon like depictions. While it may not look like a real life server rack, it does help keep continuity within the games environment. From my current play testing, it fits. However, things can change in the coming months after their release based on feedback.

Lots of other blocks will get the same treatment, reducing the size of borders and frames and trying to exaggerate the content of the block. The effect is less "realism", but shooting for real in Starmade is a fools errand i think. We can squeeze more quality from a more stylised approach. :)

Reaction score
    Those are some pretty salvage modules. I mean, everything's nice, but those are gorgeous.

Captain Tankman

Cake Build Server Staff
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Do the servers and such miss normal maps? They do look pretty flat :/

But I'm in love with the blast doors, so smooth yet so sharp :D

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Hm, to be honest, the more I look at these textures, the more I prefer the old ones. The improvements to lackluster textures are great, but the rounded, almost toylike aesthetic on things like computers, pipes, decorative server racks, and the other decorative 'tech' blocks... feel like a step back, not forward.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Hm, to be honest, the more I look at these textures, the more I prefer the old ones. The improvements to lackluster textures are great, but the rounded, almost toylike aesthetic on things like computers, pipes, decorative server racks, and so on... feel like a step back, not forward.
    That's unfortunate. Maybe they'll grow on you when you see them in game.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Forgot to mention, though, that I LOVE the look of the new doors, logic, and ingots. Much better.

Reaction score
    ohhh... shiny metal is shiny.
    The red pipe looks a bit too flat now, but apart from that everything looks really great.
    The power auxiliaries are pretty impressive, like some old, overclocked reactor core that's gonna explode if you squeeze just 10% more out of it.