Kupu's thread

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    The main issue I have with having ships being able to clip through water at all is that you could end up with perfectly sealed things that still somehow have water in them, which would be pretty immersion breaking.
    I guess this is why Schine has been taking their time with water to get it to a point where it is immersion worthy. Otherwise, it would be something people keep harping on about.

Although solid water is not immersion worthy either, I guess they have kept it this way for simplicity until they work out the mechanics.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    ... Fine then. Don't let them work like Minecraft boats.
    Minecraft boats don't render water inside of them anymore. :p I wonder if we could get a similar system, and how hard it would be to make it work, as it might need some sort of new way to render the water blocks. (I clearly have almost no experience with code, so forgive my somewhat vague-ness)

Edit/Also: I, personally, don't think having the water render inside of ships would look bad. Encounters with water aren't frequent, anyways.

Reaction score
    Usually when spaceships meet water, something's gone badly wrong and there should be a leak somewhere anyway. Usually.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Not according to JJ Abrams or Futurama. I've already taken my pressure suppository.

Blaza612

The Dog of Dissapointment
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Usually when spaceships meet water, something's gone badly wrong and there should be a leak somewhere anyway. Usually.
    If water leaks through the hull of a spaceship, then it ain't space-worthy.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    An awful lot of talk about gameplay mechanics for a textures thread. :p
    *ducks*

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Can we get it so that normal maps turn off at a certain distance from the player? They seem to cause some oddities...

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Can we get it so that normal maps turn off at a certain distance from the player? They seem to cause some oddities...

At least your game doesn't look like this when you're far away from things...

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive

Lecic if you are seeing blood like that, I think you've been in a few too many fights... Also you should you really get that looked at.

Last edited:

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold

They do (they should), in 2 ways.

There is a hard cap on when we stop drawing normal maps completely. There is a second soft gradient that floods the normal map with a "flat" value (128,128,255) at a pretty close range to (help) avoid Moire patterns.

Your above screenshot looks like bleeding when mipmaps are generated (a long standing problem in starmade).
    The white texture is sat next to a grey one in the map, which potentially bleeds over distance giving that darker border (and subsequently the nasty fuzz patterns). We've been slowly trying to find solutions to this over the past year with varying success and compromises.

If you think Normal maps are still the issue, you can troubleshoot this by following these 3 simple steps.
    I'll be sure to check myself, although i've not noticed this issue on normal maps recently.

1) Load Starmade and open the file cubeTArray.fsh, found in StarMade/data/shader/cube/ with a text editor.

2) Find this line:
    Code:
    //tex = vec4(0.5,0.5,0.5,1.0); //uncomment this for greyscale
    and remove the first set of //.

3) Press F1 + F2 in Starmade to refresh the shader. If you still experience the same issues let me know with a screenshot.

This puts a grey colour over the blocks rather than use the diffuse textures. Normals will continue to work allowing you to see if your error is from the diffuse textures, or a material map.
    [doublepost=1475061054,1475060706][/doublepost]

God damn... is this a current bug you're experiencing? I'll check if it's been reported.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    God damn... is this a current bug you're experiencing? I'll check if it's been reported.
    The only time I've seen issues like that in other games has been gpu failure, either heat or PSU issues. Lecic

therimmer96

Reaction score
    They do (they should), in 2 ways.

There is a hard cap on when we stop drawing normal maps completely. There is a second soft gradient that floods the normal map with a "flat" value (128,128,255) at a pretty close range to (help) avoid Moire patterns.

Your above screenshot looks like bleeding when mipmaps are generated (a long standing problem in starmade).
    The white texture is sat next to a grey one in the map, which potentially bleeds over distance giving that darker border (and subsequently the nasty fuzz patterns). We've been slowly trying to find solutions to this over the past year with varying success and compromises.

If you think Normal maps are still the issue, you can troubleshoot this by following these 3 simple steps.
    I'll be sure to check myself, although i've not noticed this issue on normal maps recently.

1) Load Starmade and open the file cubeTArray.fsh, found in StarMade/data/shader/cube/ with a text editor.

2) Find this line:
    Code:
    //tex = vec4(0.5,0.5,0.5,1.0); //uncomment this for greyscale
    and remove the first set of //.

3) Press F1 + F2 in Starmade to refresh the shader. If you still experience the same issues let me know with a screenshot.

This puts a grey colour over the blocks rather than use the diffuse textures. Normals will continue to work allowing you to see if your error is from the diffuse textures, or a material map.
    [doublepost=1475061054,1475060706][/doublepost]

You're right, it's the diffuse map instead of normals. It's odd, because this wasn't an issue unless AA was on, until recently, roughly the time you brought back normals for hulls :/

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    The only time I've seen issues like that in other games has been gpu failure, either heat or PSU issues. Lecic
    Yeah, it's a bug I've been experiencing for over a year. As far as I can tell my GPU, heat, and PSU are all fine. This is is the only game it occurs in, and it only happens on things further away in build mode. First/third person, astronaut mode, and the debug cam are both fine. I think it's an issue with simple lighting, actually. Jaaskinal suggested setting it to simple lighting only in graphics, and that caused build mode to entirely be this, instead of just things a few chunks away.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    You're right, it's the diffuse map instead of normals. It's odd, because this wasn't an issue unless AA was on, until recently, roughly the time you brought back normals for hulls :/
    Yea, this makes sense. Around this time we changed how mipmapping works. The new method gives much better results when looking at a surface from a distance until you get into very acute viewing angles. At this point it is potentially worse, one of the compromises i referenced earlier.

It's an issue we continually revisit as and when Schema has another idea to test out.

Yeah, it's a bug I've been experiencing for over a year...
    Ok, i'll ask around.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    Yea, this makes sense. Around this time we changed how mipmapping works. The new method gives much better results when looking at a surface from a distance until you get into very acute viewing angles. At this point it is potentially worse, one of the compromises i referenced earlier.

It's an issue we continually revisit as and when Schema has another idea to test out.
    Is it possible to use the old shaders to solve this, or is it a hard coded feature? I see these issues all the time, and it's driving me a little nuts xD