Suggested Feature request: self destruct system

Reaction score
    I would like to see self destruct modules that can handle logic.
    This would be great for those times that your ship has been disabled and you want to escape and make sure there is not much left to fall to your enemy (and to potentially take out anyone boarding your ship or in close proximity in the process).

I would suggest there be 2 components to this,
    1. First part would be the self destruct computer, multiple can be placed and linked for redundancy (destroying all would disable any self destruct function), when activating a countdown time can be selected (could default to 60 seconds if triggered by logic block).
    Also the ability of adding a basic pin to make is possible to lockout/slowdown unauthorized use.

2. Second part would be the modules, These could could either be explosives modules them self or could reuse the ship's reactor modules to serve as the explosive modules (that get overloaded to go boom), but the more you have the bigger the bang.

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Give him a break. He JUST joined the forum today.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    jeeze man, savage, but i agree with you on the point of self destruct, if, the ship is over heating, then the modules would automaticcaly activate. And then perhaps send out a pulse which would trigger any jump drives maybe
    [DOUBLEPOST=1466004922,1466004886][/DOUBLEPOST]and maybe a nuclear warhead to deal massive amounts of damage to the ship that over heated your ship. and the warheads would damage everything in the sector,

Reaction score
    Maybe he should've read up on his rules and such. And maybe he should've waited to post a thread until tomorrow.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    The current issue with self destruct imo, is that it removes one of the few current rewards for winning a battle... Harvesting the other ship for parts.

But, you can make a self destruct system right now using warheads and logic. You have to manually activate it, but that is how its done in many shows I've seen. If you go the warhead route expect to have to use lots of them for any sizable ship.

I wouldn't mind self destruct systems IF there could be some other form of rewards for the winner. if for instance it made a loot cloud that contained the blocks from the ship and you could collect it, then it wouldn't be an issue. The reason to self destruct should not be to deny blocks to the winner, but to hide the methods you used to construct your ship with.

Just my 2 cents anyway.

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The reason to self destruct should not be to deny blocks to the winner, but to hide the methods you used to construct your ship with.

Just my 2 cents anyway.
    If both reasons result in your ship blowing up, what's the difference? Explosions aren't discriminating. If the enemy salvages your ship, they will use the blocks to increase their war resources so I thinks it's a legit reason for detonation

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    in my first sentence I said it "Removes one of the few current rewards for winning a battle". Believe me, I like to screw people out of a victory. I do it all the time in games like rust/ark. But with starmade if you allow self destruct who wouldn't use it? It would become an instance where there is almost NO reward and lots of risk. So why bother with PvP at that point.

I am not saying it should never be an option. I am just trying to say that in the current game, it could cause more harm then good. Now if the game evolves to the point where players want other things out of PvP other then "Recognition" or "Blocks" (Capturing system's that would aid their faction in expanding or something) then I wouldn't mind. I just think its the wrong timing for the feature.

JonasWalker

Old Newb
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    in my first sentence I said it "Removes one of the few current rewards for winning a battle". Believe me, I like to screw people out of a victory. I do it all the time in games like rust/ark. But with starmade if you allow self destruct who wouldn't use it? It would become an instance where there is almost NO reward and lots of risk. So why bother with PvP at that point.

I am not saying it should never be an option. I am just trying to say that in the current game, it could cause more harm then good. Now if the game evolves to the point where players want other things out of PvP other then "Recognition" or "Blocks" (Capturing system's that would aid their faction in expanding or something) then I wouldn't mind. I just think its the wrong timing for the feature.
    Well, if we ever get a revamp that makes territory actually worth fighting over much less an FTL system more conductive to such, the resources from an enemy ship may be functionally irrelevant compared to reducing the enemies strength and/or taking a given system from them. Resource drops right now are a pretty poor incentive since either you can risk a lot to get them or just bugger off to some unknown corner and harvest twice as much yourself with barely any comparative risk.

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    You guys know we can already make a timed self-destruct sequence using logic, right?

Place an activation module. Link it to a chain of DELAY signals; for as long of a count down as you want then link the last DELAY signal to groups of warheads embedded in your ships key systems. You can render any top secret systems like logic drives or exotic weapons either inoperable or completely destroyed, so as not to allow them to fall into enemy hands.

Darkkon

The Harlequin Builder
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    the problem is that the warheads dont have that much range or damage, so they would need to either scale with grouping or just get a buff in general to be able to be efficient as a self-destruct system.

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    That depends. If you want this kind of self-destruct system, then yes; you're absolutely right. Warheads are far too weak.

...But if you want the more realistic/practical self-destruct, this is what I'm talking about...

Last edited:

Darkkon

The Harlequin Builder
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    technically you could just blow out all the computers on the ship I suppose. anyone who captured it would have a hell of a time reconnecting everything, especially on larger vessels

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Self destruction is a system for cowards who have lost and wish to deny those who have bested them the resources they deserve. I hope Schine never adds a self destruct.