Self Destruct System

Reaction score
    I've been thinking lately about great features they could add into Starmade and a feature that came into my head was having a self destruct system aboard a large ship, cos personally I find disintegrators annoying. You could choose how long your ship has left before it blows up and everything.

Something like a security code from Star Trek:

Or a manual one like from Alien:

And it could have some sort of cool countdown alarm like from Alien:
    [DOUBLEPOST=1417297941,1417297886][/DOUBLEPOST]What do you guys think?

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    well,you can place disintegrators ,and link them with logic,and with 20-30 delay blocks :P that would work fine.
    But i agree,it would be cool to have more realistic one

Reactions: Invitedplanet67

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    So, essentially, be able to overheat your own core? Sure. Maybe you want to scuttle a ship so the enemy can't get its blueprint or something.

Reaction score
    well,you can place disintegrators ,and link them with logic,and with 20-30 delay blocks :p that would work fine.
    But i agree,it would be cool to have more realistic one
    I tried something like that but the disintegrators didn't effect my ships hull.[DOUBLEPOST=1417345030,1417344678][/DOUBLEPOST]
    So, essentially, be able to overheat your own core? Sure. Maybe you want to scuttle a ship so the enemy can't get its blueprint or something.
    Yes something like a last resort, if everything else fails and the enemies board your ship. Set the self destruct and stop them from taking over.
    (Something like in Star Trek: 3, were the Klingons board the Enterprise)

Reaction score
    It's meant to work, it's a bug that dis-integrators fail to damage the entity they're attached to.
    Maybe but disintegrators are meant for mines or bombs. Plus the idea of an emergency self destruct system is better in my opinion.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Maybe but disintegrators are meant for mines or bombs. Plus the idea of an emergency self destruct system is better in my opinion.
    No maybe about it. They can be linked up to logic. Which, if you know it well enough you can create a code entry, or other method of activation. A few updates ago, dis-integrators worked fine, as in they detonate and take out part of the entity they are on, they also chain-detonated. Currently they are bugged, and VERY exploitable.[DOUBLEPOST=1417350666,1417350613][/DOUBLEPOST]
    No maybe about it. They can be linked up to logic. Which, if you know it well enough you can create a code entry, or other method of activation. A few updates ago, dis-integrators worked fine, as in they detonate and take out part

Reaction score
    No maybe about it. They can be linked up to logic. Which, if you know it well enough you can create a code entry, or other method of activation. A few updates ago, dis-integrators worked fine, as in they detonate and take out part of the entity they are on, they also chain-detonated. Currently they are bugged, and VERY exploitable.[DOUBLEPOST=1417350666,1417350613][/DOUBLEPOST]
    No maybe about it. They can be linked up to logic. Which, if you know it well enough you can create a code entry, or other method of activation. A few updates ago, dis-integrators worked fine, as in they detonate and take out part
    Must be bugged, because when I blow one up it doesn't effect my hull. Do shields effect it?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I did say they were bugged.

It's meant to work, it's a bug that dis-integrators fail to damage the entity they're attached to.
    And from what I remember, if the module is activated by logic, shields don't matter. They are also meant to be detonated by weapon fire - as in, you shoot it and it'll explode.

Reaction score
    I did say they were bugged.

And from what I remember, if the module is activated by logic, shields don't matter. They are also meant to be detonated by weapon fire - as in, you shoot it and it'll explode.
    Ok sorry i didn't see that you said it was a bug, but now I understand. But a self destruct module would still be cool

Reactions: Crusade
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    They are also meant to be detonated by weapon fire - as in, you shoot it and it'll explode.
    Exactly why they are bad for building self destruct systems as you may lose your entire ship to a single shot after your shields go down. I have on more than one occasion wished for an option to scuttle a ship I wanted to salvage.

Reactions: Invitedplanet67
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Normally I'd say that we have our own methods of making self destruct mechanisms with dis integrators and logic, but in this case it's too disadvantageous to really get behind as the solution.

A Self Destruct Terminal block with adjustable detonation time and adjustable explosion radius would be cool. The actual explosion would happen from the ship core itself, with a maximum size <= the ship's largest dimension. It would be nice icing on the cake if display modules had a variable to display countdown times too, for dramatic effect. We might need some kind of minimum limit for the destruct sequence though, just so it's not abused somehow in combat. Whether it be a fixed minimum limit or based off of mass. Though, I don't know if a self destruct could really even be considered abusing game mechanics if you're blowing up your own ship, or worse yourself if you use the mechanism as a kamikaze attack.

Reaction score
    Normally I'd say that we have our own methods of making self destruct mechanisms with dis integrators and logic, but in this case it's too disadvantageous to really get behind as the solution.

A Self Destruct Terminal block with adjustable detonation time and adjustable explosion radius would be cool. The actual explosion would happen from the ship core itself, with a maximum size <= the ship's largest dimension. It would be nice icing on the cake if display modules had a variable to display countdown times too, for dramatic effect. We might need some kind of minimum limit for the destruct sequence though, just so it's not abused somehow in combat. Whether it be a fixed minimum limit or based off of mass. Though, I don't know if a self destruct could really even be considered abusing game mechanics if you're blowing up your own ship, or worse yourself if you use the mechanism as a kamikaze attack.
    I think that a self destruct terminal could only be placed on large ships with a specific amount of blocks instead of small shuttles and just cores themselves that could be used to ram other ships, stations, bases...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I think an option like suicide that would cause the ship to overheat with a selected duration would work. No need to add more blocks.

A cool explosion when ships are done counting down would be nice to (togglable in graphics options)

Reaction score
    I think an option like suicide that would cause the ship to overheat with a selected duration would work. No need to add more blocks.

A cool explosion when ships are done counting down would be nice to (togglable in graphics options)
    Yeah that'd be cool!