Self-Destruct Blocks

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    If anyone has suggested this in the past, I apologize. I couldn't find any thread for this idea specifically.

So what if there was a self-destruct block? Such a block could be placed throughout a ship at key locations to blow it up on command. Of course, the only place one would need such a block would be right next to the ship core. The destruction of the ship core would destroy the ship, sure, but one would probably want to put them at other places to make the destruction of the ship quicker.

I know your thinking "But Rooster, those cool explody blocks do the exact same thing! Just set em up all over your ship!" Well, I don't want to use Dis-integrator blocks because one stray shot from a passing pirate would result in the destruction of a part of my ship. If I have a self-destruct block, I want only to go off when I tell it to. That means it would be similar to a computer.

The only other thing I would like to suggest is a way to keep a ship from self-destructing on accident or by a second party. Perhaps instead of being a computer that one activates on the hotbar, perhaps it could be a block the captain must leave his ship core to access. Maybe he would have to activate a few power switches, or throw in a password.

How would this be useful? Well, I often buy a ship from the catalog, destroy it, and then use its turrets (which I have standardized) on another ship I'm building. Such a process SHOULD be quick and simple,except that many of my ships have ridiculous shields, and so in order to destroy the ship core, I had to build a massive cannon. I use it to tunnel through the shields, through the armor blocks, and finally into the core. I use a giant mining machine to mine the ship away, and I use the turrets for something else. But it would be even easier if I used a simple self-destruct block to instantly destroy the ship core. Such a block would ignore shields (I think dis-integrator blocks and missiles ignore shields anyway, so that's not too much of an issue) and destroy anything around it. Perhaps they could even be tooled to destroy just computers, like ship cores and what not? I dunno. Merely a suggestion.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Well, I don\'t want to use Dis-integrator blocks because one stray shot from a passing pirate would result in the destruction of a part of my ship.

This is not true. Disintegrator blocks only explode when another entity makes contact with them.

Adding a feature to allow disintegrator blocks to explode at the press of a button is quite possible.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    If you want to import many turrets at once, may I offer a suggestion?

1. In single-player, set ignore_docking_area to true.

2. Create a ship frame with a bunch of docking ports on it.

3. use /load and spawn in a bunch of turrets. Attach the turrets.

4. Save the frame to your catalog

5. Change ignore_docking_area back

6. When you load in your frame ship, you get a bunch of turrets, and since you set it up with the cheated docking areas, you can just fly the turrets out of the way and you\'ll be fine.