Elwyn Returnity

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    So, what version of EE is this?
    This is being run by the former admins.

I would also like to point out that EE wasn't the largest server for at least the 2 years I played
    Redshift was the most voted for, doesn't mean shit when it comes to size.

I'm pretty sure EE1 died soon after Koderz gave up on RedShift
    EE1 went down a few months after Redshift, what about it?+

I wish you the best of luck, but in StarMades current state I'm not sure why you'd invest in yet another server.
    Because we want to and have the means and time to do so. If starmade is going to get better, there needs to be servers for the player base to use when it begins to expand.

Oh almost forgot! More than 4 cores is pointless, and more than about 32GB of ram is really pointless. Hope you have at least a 0.5gb/s uplink to run it on though.
    We've got many years of experience with the game. We know how it runs when it's setup and managed effectively.

Bogdan

Grand Master of OOB
    Reaction score
    Taking into account the amount of time that has gone into the 're-opening' of Elwyn Returnity and the experience of the admins in question who will manage the server, I think it will turn out just fine and trust in the ER administration.

Hate to resurrect an old thread, but thought I'd share a few things. The ex owner of RedShift is a real life friend of mine, and I used to play on the server from time to time, and knew quite a bit about what all went on behind the scenes. I just came back to see how the game was progressing, if it was, and to see if it was worth getting back into, and Koderz who was the server owner still keeps an eye on the game as well.

First let me clear this up. The server shut down due to a combination of reasons. First, there wasn't enough donations to offset the nearly 200$ a month in hardware cost. Then, there was the immense burden of running the server. It took Koderz and the other admins multiple hours a day to maintain the server, and Koderz spent months of his free time developing tools to assist the server, and the rest of the game and community. He wasn't trying to make a profit off the server, as if he was it wouldn't have lasted over 2 years resulting in a net loss of probably over $1,000 excluding time he could have spent on other things.

Ignoring the cost, the biggest reasons he finally gave up were simply due to lack of support from the dev. At this time Schema was basically solo even after repeated offers from multiple people we know to help him for free. He joined the test team for a while but after months and in some cases a year or more of some of the most critical issues never being addressed as well as simple additions that would make server management a more manageable task being completely ignored he gave up.

The simplified version of the multitude of problems of running a server at that time were.
    1. It took an absurd amount of bandwidth spiking in excess of 500mb/s for the roughly 50-60 people online.
    2. It took an absurd amount of disk space. The server would grow by as much as 5GB per day, if left unattended.
    3. The server was in a constant state of very low performance even when run on top of the line hardware.
    4. The server would implode if no admin was on to watch it 24/7 due to people doing seemingly simple mistakes like getting too many ships near each other, or having too much stuff near a planet.
    5. The catalog getting corrupted was nearly a daily occurrence.
    6. Sectors would randomly corrupt themselves.
    7. Things like planets, asteroids would constantly disappear or randomly move to different sectors which added to the lag
    8. Unrecoverable crashes at least 1 time a month resulting in rollbacks
    9. Admin commands were basically useless since they either didn't work, or reported invalid information, or sometimes crashed the server.
    10. The sheer volume of log output could cripple the server if not running on SSDs.

What brought me back to check in was I recently talked to Koderz about StarMade after he mentioned talking to Schema recently. We both would be interested in coming back if it looked like things were getting addressed which would make server hosting easier. We're both game developers so we understand more than most what it takes to build a game like StarMade. The harsh reality of the situation now is that to both of us it appears as though StarMade has lost a majority of its player base and due to that it wouldn't really be worth it to come back. I sincerely hope I'm wrong but it's not looking like it.

I understand from this message that it was difficult for your colleague to run his server. That is a shame, for I am aware that it was one of the most popular servers across the years.

I seem to recall trying to play on RedShift a few times, however the excessive lag in and around the 'warpgate system' [For those who do not know what this is: RedShift server had a system of warpgates that connected dozens of sectors around the galaxy, allowing for people to easily get very far from central spawn in minutes] coupled with a few unpleasant players causing unnecessary strain on the server made the game near unplayable.

I also believe that the system which allowed players to get thousands of km out from spawn in multiple directions meant that there would have been a lot of strain on server memory as a lot more (that would usually be the case) of systems far out from spawn would have been loaded.

In regards to working for/with Schema, I believe that there is a 'team schine'. There are quite a few scripters and starmade developers around that do not work for schine, but communicate with the devs regularly towards creating additional features for their own servers, such as quests or missions for players to do in-game.

Due to the lack of advertisement and marketing other than the appearance of starmade on steam just under 2 years ago, yes the playerbase is not very large. The game is still in an early-access stage of development, players come and go and often returning players stay, enticed by the many new features. Hopefully you will decide to stay around yourself and maybe help out with one of the many servers with scripting or helping with management.

Reactions: therimmer96

therimmer96

Reaction score
    WE ARE WAITING FOR THE NPC UPDATE AS WE DON'T WANT TO BE FORCED INTO RESETTING SO SOON AFTER A LAUNCH. WE THEORETICALLY COULD GO LIVE NOW.

Reactions: Mariux

Bogdan

Grand Master of OOB
    Reaction score
    WE ARE WAITING FOR THE NPC UPDATE AS WE DON'T WANT TO BE FORCED INTO RESETTING SO SOON AFTER A LAUNCH. WE THEORETICALLY COULD GO LIVE NOW.
    Ok so sometime around 4th-5th December EE will come up?

therimmer96

Reaction score
    Ok so sometime around 4th-5th December EE will come up?
    Has an official date been named for the update, because if so, we're unaware of it at this point.

Bogdan

Grand Master of OOB
    Reaction score
    Has an official date been named for the update, because if so, we're unaware of it at this point.

Giving one-two days for servers to break at the first glitches and those to be patched, that comes up to around 4th-5th of December.

Reactions: Az14el
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Just a suggestion as I’m sure you tested the server and are up to speed with all things StarMade. But there is nothing wrong with a little stress test to see how all the configs and settings are holding up. The general population descending on it could pop up some things any amount of testing could not. That might safe you some trouble when the NPC update comes and the server officially opens. As long as you let people know that it's test and you don't need to spend any extra money on it. You could even run it with blueprints bought by credits on and a few unlimited free shops to get a lot of stuff going in a short time frame.

I don't know how much custom config you are going "i didn't read the whole thread". But if you changed out all the default stations then it might also be handy to see how they interact with real players. Tradestation cargo overload, Pirate stations with weak points, Public Warp gates with accessible computers etc etc.

Just make sure that the server isn’t listed in any official server list outside of the ingame server browser. In case you add any value to such lists. So any down time isn't negatively marked.

All the best with the new Elwyn. I hope the server turns out to be a big hit.

Bogdan

Grand Master of OOB
    Reaction score
    what was the original EE servers? im new here (2 months as of now)
    A very large server where a lot of inter-server factions operated. It was in theory around the same size as another server (Rebel Alliance->Redshift), however the increased publicity on starmadedock convinced many 'famous' factions to set up there. ElwynEternity: Gaming Community <---used to be the website

Reactions: therimmer96

therimmer96

Reaction score
    We're open!

We've currently got a small issue where the server is not showing in the games server list, but you can still connect and veiw the status if you add the server as a custom for now. We believe we know the issue and should have a fix soon.

The connection details - sm.elwynreturnity.com:8009

Please report any issues directly to me in a PM. The config discussion channel in discord will remain open to discuss changes that may need making.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Correction:
    We were open for a few minutes!

We've currently got a small issue where the server is dying a few minutes after it starts, but you can still try to connect and look at the pretty error message that pops up on your screen. We don't know the issue, but we should have a fix soon.

The connection details - sm.elwynreturnity.com:8009

Please report any further issues directly to me in a PM. The config discussion channel in discord will remain open to discuss changes that may need making.

Reactions: Mortiferum