Reaction score
    I support the returnity of elwyn - whatever it was/is

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Elwyn Eternity is the hero our community needs, but is it one we deserve?

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    The Aethi Imperium will establish its new primary base of operations on this server whenever it comes online. Work is ongoing to prepare the Aethi station and ships for deployment.

Reaction score
    yesssss we can finally bomb arstotzka.

I mean hug the formidens.

I mean bomb the formidens.

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Servers comes, servers goes, so many, many servers.

So, I'll throw away some questions to decide if I'll play on it or not. No way I'm going to spend precious time grinding in a place which I know I'll get upset on.

1) What's the stance about block/mass restrictions on ships? Will there be a limit, or not?

2) Will admins be allowed to get involved in faction politics? That was one of the problems of old EE, specially with some known names abusing some admin commands, leading to some drama.

3) Shops or No shops?

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    1) What's the stance about block/mass restrictions on ships? Will there be a limit, or not?
    Hehehe, yeah, no.

EE was always against restrictions on gameplay, and we still believe in this. As long as you're willing to not fly like a dick and ruin the server, you can do what you like. Start impacting on server performance or other peoples fun, that titan may suddenly be less existing...

2) Will admins be allowed to get involved in faction politics? That was one of the problems of old EE, specially with some known names abusing some admin commands, leading to some drama.
    Yes, but we're reworking it, with not every admin having full unlimited access, we're bringing back the moderator rank we started to use towards the end. I just want to point out that admin abuse was not as bad as some people liked to make out. Sure, there were problems involving commands, most notably the donor TP system.

3) Shops or No shops?
    No stance just yet. We're discussing a lot of things right now. The server hasn't even been delivered yet, we have a lot of things to get sorted first.

Personal opinion, yes, but fairly rare. You need a place to be able to find those rare decorative blocks that you need for a BP :)

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Hehehe, yeah, no.

EE was always against restrictions on gameplay, and we still believe in this. As long as you're willing to not fly like a dick and ruin the server, you can do what you like. Start impacting on server performance or other peoples fun, that titan may suddenly be less existing...
    The problem around titans is not the matter of combat balance (since we have fleets now), but performace. People without super-computers like me won't be able to even open the fleet tab to fight because the FPS will get near zero. That could be considered as killing other people's fun, and I find unlikely for you guys to erase it because of that. Is there any plans to avoid the birth of a new Joel?

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Oh boy, I sure do love the 10k pings of Titanmade and measuring my game speed in FPM.

I think I'll pass.

Reactions: jorgekorke

therimmer96

Reaction score
    The problem around titans is not the matter of combat balance (since we have fleets now), but performace. People without super-computers like me won't be able to even open the fleet tab to fight because the FPS will get near zero. That could be considered as killing other people's fun, and I find unlikely for you guys to erase it because of that.
    The simple matter of fact is that one server can't please everyone. We believe no limits is the right decision for the game. This is how old EE did it, and it's worked out pretty well so far.

I used to play on EE with one hell of a shitty ultrabook, and a titan never made the game unplayable. Sure, it was far from perfect, but I kept the max number of segments low enough that I had enough frames to fight. You don't expect a GTX480 to run Crysis at 4k, you optimise your settings for your PC.

There's also the point of pushing the game. If no one pushes the game to it's limits, those limits won't move. The performance won't get better, because it's good enough.

So yeah. No limits. If you don't like that, I understand, but we're not going to change the fundamental nature of the server in order to please a few people.

Oh boy, I sure do love the 10k pings of Titanmade and measuring my game speed in FPM.

I think I'll pass.
    Overpowered hardware and a heavy hand in administration is why large ships worked on EE, and it's no different here. We've got a dual xeon server, with a CPU upgrade option available when needed and 128GB of RAM. If need be, we can get the game onto an SSD to help ensure the database is nice and fast. If you cause lag with a titan and it is clearly from stupid piloting, you get your shit deleted, no refunds.

Is there any plans to avoid the birth of a new Joel?
    Joel was banned by the ingame admins after we decided he was causing too much harm. He then got unbanned because he had direct access to Gravypod, who never played ingame and so had no idea why he was banned. No more getting overruled. If someone becomes a problem, they get removed.

We're also going to have more clear rules and guidelines on what we find acceptable. Nothing this stupidly big, that makes you check the fucking constitution every time you undock, but actual guidelines.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    Right...............................................
    Starmade has always handled large ships well server side, unless someone did something stupid. Take NFD for example, it can handle Vengeance, has handled 2 charons in the same sector and so much abuse it's silly, and is significantly less powerful than the box we have ordered.

The concern has almost always been client side. The lag you're recalling from EE was related to other issues, such as massive mining arrays that did cause issues server side. We're an experienced admin team, we wouldn't be doing it just because. We know the server and the game can handle it.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    There is a reason people stopped playing on Elwyn as soon as other places, like SS and GenX, arose.
    GenXnova is as old as original Elwyn would be if it was still alive. It didn't arise, it just gained popularity while EE had issues, and then cemented it's claim to #1 when gravy killed the box.

If you don't want your frames killed by a titan, don't expect a toaster to render something it can't. turn down max segments. As I said, this server isn't going to be for everyone.

If you truly have an issue with this, then you should also bitch at schine for building a large complex spawn station, it's only going to cause the same issues if you expect a bad computer to render everything at once.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    If you don't want your frames killed by a titan, don't expect a toaster to render something it can't. turn down max segments. As I said, this server isn't going to be for everyone.
    I don't have a toaster. Large ships in combat cause extreme lag even if you've got a great box, even if you set your segments low.

Deadlis

Le Chateau Autiste
    Reaction score
    Right...............................................
    As the one that was responsible for fixing everything that couldn't be handled in-game, I can tell you with certainty that starmade handles large ships just fine. It gets laggy when you compound the issues of starmade's already problematic netcode, fuckwits parking titans on planets, and people building massive planet mining arrays that clip through the planets they are trying to mine.

Last edited: