Dannage Fleetyards: Poor Advice For Noobs

Darkkon

The Harlequin Builder
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Keep doing cool stuff man....your ships are beautiful ^_^

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Oh look, I've found a picture of the first ship I ever made in Starmade!

Mine is the one at the back... This was obviously before I realised you had to protect the core! I remember at the time, the three other people I tried it with had much smaller ships. Mine looked all looming and daunting compared!... Loo how tiny it is!!! :)

Attachments

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Okay, I need some help folks.

I need to make some nice curves on a commission project. However, so far, it looks utterly dire. I am essentially just trying to make a sort of...egg...ish... shape.

I started with an outline frame like this:

But since then, filling in the front (far side) using sloped pieces has effectively made a straight slope. On the closer (rear) end, I figured I'd start just with basic cubes, and then add the slopes afterwards but that still looks quite chaotic.

Any tips for making a nice round squidgy ball shape that isn't a sphere??

Reaction score
    Lengthen the side curves. Don't make them quite so steep so fast. Make the sides curve more. Make sure that the top and sides are either completely equal (Which will require some finagling with the stuff in between to ensure that it doesn't become a simple angular face) or different, which might lend itself to an interesting and curved shape.

Reaction score
    It's....... (Looks like I'm gonna say huge) an egg....?

xD I'm jealous my best ship is a half-kilo long hexagonal prism with a blimp cockpit on the bottom xD

Reaction score
    No one likes autocorrect ... More like auto embarrassment. Probs gonna get autocorrected in this sentence
    [doublepost=1471644766,1471644684][/doublepost]Also, if it's an egg shape, make the top and bottom a little farther apart, if u want a spherical egg shape. The top and bottom are closer together than the sides are.
    [doublepost=1471644969][/doublepost][QUOTE="Dannage, post: 303822, member:

I am essentially just trying to make a sort of...egg...ish... shape.

Reactions: Drumboy168
    Reaction score
    If you're doing curves, the first rule is, blocks. Place'em, find what you like/don't like/burned your eyes out, and fix it or keep it. Keep going til it curves right.
    Other than that ... well .... if you're working on any large scales and want absolute symmetry, well, dangit, the ellipse tool sucks for it. But you know ... it's not terribly essential if you use two mirrors, though.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Haha, I ended up abandoning that (egg) shell completely and trying to make a slightly more spaceshippy style shape. I have to say, the end result looks.. I will probably have to go with.. Hilarious...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I need to contact the folks who commissioned it to find out if I'm allowed to post it online before they start making use of it. :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Hey D, here's my one very very very old design dusted up for old times sake: The Behemoth. Your egg reminded me of it and I thought you may find at least some inspiration in it. It's a battle cruiser/yacht. It's pre-sloped corner blocks and pre-shield split to generators and tanks to give you an idea of how old it is so quite simple in form :P

If you're looking for ideas on that egg, they are fairly similar shapes imo. A protruding bridge, moulded turret with matched base and some fins never go amiss :P

Love your ships man, you've got a style of your own and I like that :3 Keep up the good work! Let me know if you ever want to collab on anything, I'm planning a return to SM at some point and have a design I may need help with.

Attachments

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Today's lesson... Do not fly near suns.
    I just lost a lot of work... :)

Reaction score
    One of my ships, the Kraken ( KR-KN) got almost destroyed. I warped into a star trying to escape an insanith VI (even though my ship was 20 times bigger than the isanith) . :(
    [doublepost=1472817478,1472817430][/doublepost]Wait: I warped into the FRIGGIN CORE OF THE STAR.