Criss' Thread

Blaza612

The Dog of Dissapointment
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4

Uses RS-Nor latch or Flip flop can't remember which one, so it's just an extra AND gate to make sure it doesn't try to trigger anything while on that same floor, it's just a redundancy for those random times something might go astray.
    I usually use the rail orientation themselves to determine what's called and such. Using logic memory to manage exactly what floor the elevator is going to adds unnecessary logic, since the rails can handle it. Just hard code the buttons, as there's no reason to make it compatible with any amount of floors, when what you're using it for is the only thin it'll be used in. I imagine you're already aware of this, but just in case. ;)

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    I usually use the rail orientation themselves to determine what's called and such. Using logic memory to manage exactly what floor the elevator is going to adds unnecessary logic, since the rails can handle it. Just hard code the buttons, as there's no reason to make it compatible with any amount of floors, when what you're using it for is the only thin it'll be used in. I imagine you're already aware of this, but just in case. ;)
    It's just a templated logic setup I use. But also hard-coding it into the rails means that someone else can call it to elsewhere while it's still occupied. A lot is hard coded into the rails but on the whole there's more versatility keeping it a bit more separated.

Reactions: Blaza612
    Reaction score
    I'd need to look at the build again to confirm but it probably has failsafes to ensure it can only be called by one person at a time, that it only stops where it's supposed to stop, that you can't try to call it to a floor it's already on, etc
    Allright, so my elevator does all that and I feel that it looks a lot less complicated:
    All you need per floor is one of those 5x5 panels, connect it to the adjacent floors, and, once per elevator, a little bit of setup for the rails and the cabin. You could now even copy that whole 5 floor section and paste it as a whole.

Attachments

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Yeah it's about the same amount of logic just all of it is kept in one room rather than spread out across each floor

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    I have to agree with Bench, that looks like about the same amount of logic. There are a lot of additional connections I made so that everything lined up nicely.

Now with that said, it's time for another late tease at what we have been up to! As you all know, station refits had to happen eventually. With many other important builds almost complete we decided to start work on these as well. The first one we worked on was the station submitted by Zeno9141

I have to make something clear first, before we started work on these we agreed that if we could have the original builders update their stations that we would. I noticed however that Zeno was quite inactive for a while on the forums and we went ahead anyway. I am sorry Zeno if you wanted to update this station. I hope in the end you find the build satisfactory!

First you will notice a color swap on many parts of the station. Tanks are now orange, pipes are now brown and there is a lot less blue. We modified some exterior bits and reworked the landing pad to accommodate a shuttle. Zeno did a great job on the exterior and thus most of it is intact.

The interior needed a bit of work. The hallways and elevators didn't quite make sense and didn't really lead anywhere meaningful so we decided that a full interior was needed. After walking in through the airlock you will find yourself in a small lobby. There is an elevator ahead, as well as some ramps and rooms in the back.

You will notice that many TG stations offer a nice view in public areas, and quickly become dark and more utilitarian in their office spaces and industrial areas.

In the lower floor you will find a small replica of the factory area found on spawn station. This will be a much more limited factory system.

Of course there needs to be a place for the crew to sleep. The size of this station means there is not a nessecity for more than six rooms. It's possible a wanderer may take up residence here for a short period and for a small fee.

Zeno's station was initially built as a refueling station. The TG use this as a small outpost in frontier territories and it is the smallest station of theirs that is manned by a crew.

Next week we should be taking a look at the Trade Hub station that I submitted for the contest long ago. I would also like to point out that once a week on twitch the StarMade channel streams these station refits. Now this usually happens on Sundays starting at 7pm EST. Sunday's are a bit tight so I may be changing that to another day of the week. We shall see. Anyway click the link and follow if you want to take a look! The streams usually last around 3 hours or more.

I would like to ask that if you post images here, put them in the spoiler tag!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    It remember me the Cargo Ship I was doing in the Spanish Public server before it crashed and no one can play in it again: because of the lines in the sides. Looks cool. (mine was a Prototype and huge)

Reactions: Rumcajz
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Well, none of the images here show up completely. There's obviously something wrong with the site.
    Only a top bar shows or there's a image not found icon. Firefox console gives: "Image corrupt or truncated" for all of them.

Hm, seems to be solved now, so time to read what was mentioned with those images LOL

Seasonal Greetings,

Jan

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Hello!

Today I am showing off the new and improved stick shops. That is what they are commonly known as among the community. There is no real designation for this thing, but perhaps there should be.

As you can see it is very similar to the current mathematically generated stick shops. We felt it was quite an iconic shape and wanted to keep it. So what's the deal? Why is this thing a giant stick? These stations are automated and unmanned. The TG has to spread so many of these stations throughout the universe that it was worth it to invest in cheap mechanical based systems. Looking closer we can see the structure is quite basic.

The stick shops are manufactured near the TG homebase (not the spawn shop). From there they are launched into space and may drift for long periods of time (even millennia or more). When the station approaches it's final destination the rings on the structure activate. They act as gyroscopes and inertial dampeners that slow the station to a stop, where it will remain indefinitely. From here the stations automated shop transaction systems will begin accumulating profits from anyone that decides to trade here. Eventually civilization reaches these shops and the TG can come collect their profits.

To give a sense of scale, here is a the small freighter next to the shop.

The shop features 4 USD's, two on either end. The entire build is symmetrical, so you will be upside down if you dock at the "bottom".

Inside the small interior you will find a large window where an automated trade system observes your actions and travels from either end of the station. This simple robot lives here it's entire life.

That's just about all that can be said about this station. Hopefully now you will understand why so many of these structures can be found in the region of space known as the Frontier.

Now it is quite clear users here want to help create these assets, in one way or another. I think I should explain the plan, which should answer some concerns. The Schine team, councilors and testers will likely be getting their hands on these assets first. A number of councilors are already giving feedback and fixing issues, mostly on the spawn shop for the moment. A few of them are certainly more experienced with ship systems than I am or Saber, the other major builder. We also have Lancake and Andy who should be able to help when we need it and they are certainly more knowledgeable with game mechanics.

After these groups have done some solid and official testing, and we are still unsure about systems then we will ask you here. I can throw up stats, by then the ship might be available in some form or even already in the game. There is plenty of time to adjust things if we need to. I don't expect perfect versions of these assets to make it into the game on the first try. For now, let's focus on the visuals and the lore side of things, as many of these assets have yet to get systems in. If you have feedback in that regard by all means let me know!

Thanks for reading and fly safe!
    this looks awesome , really adds to the stick shops , will they have communication posts players can use in deep space to contact TG headquarters for roleplaying

Reaction score
    Yeah it's about the same amount of logic just all of it is kept in one room rather than spread out across each floor
    I have to agree with Bench, that looks like about the same amount of logic. There are a lot of additional connections I made so that everything lined up nicely.
    Alright, fair enough :)

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Please remember that if you post your own pictures to put them in the spoiler tag. This thread is for the builds I am working on, you can just post a link if you want me to take a look, but let's not plaster your builds on this thread.

will they have communication posts players can use in deep space to contact TG headquarters for roleplaying
    No probably not. Because of it's purpose there is very little potential for RP. It is an automated station with a small room on either end. The comm equipment would be utilized by the station alone.

Reaction score
    (like the freighters near somalia or even military transports) they still aren't armed.
    Hi, I'm about to correct you.

Freighters don't carry weapons because some nation's laws would prohibit them from docking. They aren't even allowed to carry small arms.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1450898368,1450896756][/DOUBLEPOST]
    In this image you can also see some limited defenses on the station (it will be invulnerable anyway) as well as emergency docks leading to the hospital and security buildings.
    Can I suggest the station isn't invulnerable? If your goal is to sell the game, well, what could sell it more t a quick dose of adrenaline, and the fact that that beautiful station was bombed? It'd demonstrate the fluidity of the universe. There wouldn't be any set game mechanic where pirates show up at a certain time, it'd be subject to the same attack-defense rules as the rest of the galaxy. So you could be a newb, 30 minutes into the game and an innocent bystander. You'd see boarding action and space combat. You could defend the station or aid the pirates.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Hi, I'm about to correct you.

Freighters don't carry weapons because some nation's laws would prohibit them from docking. They aren't even allowed to carry small arms.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1450898368,1450896756][/DOUBLEPOST]

Can I suggest the station isn't invulnerable? If your goal is to sell the game, well, what could sell it more t a quick dose of adrenaline, and the fact that that beautiful station was bombed? It'd demonstrate the fluidity of the universe. There wouldn't be any set game mechanic where pirates show up at a certain time, it'd be subject to the same attack-defense rules as the rest of the galaxy. So you could be a newb, 30 minutes into the game and an innocent bystander. You'd see boarding action and space combat. You could defend the station or aid the pirates.
    The game has to be built with multiplayer and singleplayer in mind. How is a player to spawn and interact with NPC's if the last player blew it to smithereens?

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    The game has to be built with multiplayer and singleplayer in mind. How is a player to spawn and interact with NPC's if the last player blew it to smithereens?
    You could have it only destructible in sp. Maybe with a scripted event like the person you were replaying to was suggesting.

Tbh though, I wouldn't recommend it. Getting spawn killed by pirates is very very uncool, and it'd make it way too easy to navigate the station's secrets just by digging into it.

Reaction score
    Yeah, good point. Ah well. I guess it could be configured from server to server

Reaction score
    how bout keep the spawn station invulnerable but any other tg station or shop can be damaged? (which would of course incur the wrath of the tg defenses to keep it from getting out of hand.)

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    how bout keep the spawn station invulnerable but any other tg station or shop can be damaged? (which would of course incur the wrath of the tg defenses to keep it from getting out of hand.)
    Never said that the other stations would remain invulnerable. Their faction will be prone to most of the rules players are. The spawn station and a few other various installations nearby will be invulnerable. This is the TG's foothold in the area, the frontier. This area is heavily protected. To ensure a solid starting experience we will keep it that way.

Reactions: kiddan

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Random mostly-off-topic bit: If the entire StarMade universe is the Frontier, then I can't help but wonder what the Homeland looks like.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Random mostly-off-topic bit: If the entire StarMade universe is the Frontier, then I can't help but wonder what the Homeland looks like.
    According to Bench, civilized and utopian. Not sure how widespread that is, but consider this uncharted and hostile territory.

Reactions: Ithirahad