Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    So today I decided to check out the tutorial for once. xD

Found this thingy drifting outside...
    Does it have any relevance?
    That has been there for a long time. A similar looking vessel has been made as the small size combat ship for the TG. This ship will likely be replaced. It is entirely possible that the small size combat vessel will have a variant that resembles that. Ship variants is something we would like, just how they do in eve with T2 and T3 vessels.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    That has been there for a long time. A similar looking vessel has been made as the small size combat ship for the TG. This ship will likely be replaced. It is entirely possible that the small size combat vessel will have a variant that resembles that. Ship variants is something we would like, just how they do in eve with T2 and T3 vessels.
    Awesome then.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    Criss,since we will be able to submit ships for (non-TG-scavs) proceduraly generated factions,are there any guidelines like what types of ships we need to make..what sizes etc.,I want to start building them,but I need to be sure they are valid once that day comes ahahah

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Criss,since we will be able to submit ships for (non-TG-scavs) proceduraly generated factions,are there any guidelines like what types of ships we need to make..what sizes etc.,I want to start building them,but I need to be sure they are valid once that day comes ahahah
    I'd assume generated ships would need to be operable by AI and have a matching theme (They all use thick advanced and love alpha weapons, or they all have high thrust and use 50% EMP DPS weaponry, etc etc).

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    I can write down some guidelines and give some examples. Keep in mind we have not yet confirmed how we will be doing a contest. Only that we want to and that this here is probably the best way.

1: Don't go big. The first contest would probably focus on small ships. For reference the largest "small" ship in the TG lineup is a 140 meter combat vessel. Everything in the small category is notably smaller.

2: Build a set of ships. If we need to give a faction some ships, it's better if there are at least a few to give them. Build a set of ships that have the same style. Maybe a few types of fighters/bombers or a small transport.

3: USD where possible. We have 44 meter long fighters in the TG lineup that have USD on them. At the very least we can alter the dock to suit our needs if the doorway is placed on the build.

4: If you cannot fit a USD on the build try to give it a docker on the bottom of the build. The TG shuttle has one. Shuttles and drones are the only ones that will likely need one. These small land-able ships should be no larger than 31 meters long, 11 meters high, and 23 meters wide. That is the dimensions of the shuttle and it barely fits inside the Spawn Station.

5: Interiors need room for crew. Two examples. The freighter has room for 3 crew members. There is a bridge, a crew quarters, and a recreation/kitchen room. The large combat vessel I talked about earlier can support 5 crew members. There is a core/engineering room, teleporter room, medical room, crew quarters, recreation/kitchen room, bridge, and captains quarters. Very RP friendly. Not all of these rooms would be operating at once. Also keep in mind that is about the largest you should go.

6: Make them distinct from what we already have. I will outline the color schemes that I expect us to use.
    Trading Guild - Grey hulls. Black details. Blue glass. Even less brown and orange details. Orange tanks. Minimal blue and white striping. Boxy shapes. Blue engines. Very symmetrical.

Scavenger Pirates - Brown, grey and black hulls. Neutral colors. Very spiky and scrappy. If there is striping it will be red. If there is lighting it will be red, orange or yellow. Likely orange engines. The picture below is a good indication of their style. Asymmetrical.

Outcasts - White hulls. Brown trim. Orange striping. Black details. Asymmetrical. Bulky, yet scrappy, like star wars ships.

I cannot reveal the last two races however I am confident that we haven't seen their look around much so I am not worried someone will build in their style. You can of course still use the colors above, just alter which color is the primary hull color. Sorry I can't give more imagery. Really though, go nuts. random factions are completely open to interpretation. Below are two images of the TG and pirate styles.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    I can write down some guidelines and give some examples. Keep in mind we have not yet confirmed how we will be doing a contest. Only that we want to and that this here is probably the best way.

1: Don't go big. The first contest would probably focus on small ships. For reference the largest "small" ship in the TG lineup is a 140 meter combat vessel. Everything in the small category is notably smaller.

2: Build a set of ships. If we need to give a faction some ships, it's better if there are at least a few to give them. Build a set of ships that have the same style. Maybe a few types of fighters/bombers or a small transport.

3: USD where possible. We have 44 meter long fighters in the TG lineup that have USD on them. At the very least we can alter the dock to suite our needs if the doorway is placed on the build.

4: If you cannot fit a USD on the build try to give it a docker on the bottom of the build. The TG shuttle has one. Shuttles and drones are the only ones that will likely need one. These small land-able ships should be no larger than 31 meters long, 11 meters high, and 23 meters wide. That is the dimensions of the shuttle and it barely fits inside the Spawn Station.

5: Interiors need room for crew. Two examples. The freighter has room for 3 crew members. There is a bridge, a crew quarters, and a recreation/kitchen room. The large combat vessel I talked about earlier can support 5 crew members. There is a core/engineering room, teleporter room, medical room, crew quarters, recreation/kitchen room, bridge, and captains quarters. Very RP friendly. Not all of these rooms would be operating at once. Also keep in mind that is about the largest you should go.

6: Make them distinct from what we already have. I will outline the color schemes that I expect us to use.
    Trading Guild - Grey hulls. Black details. Blue glass. Even less brown and orange details. Orange tanks. Minimal blue and white striping. Boxy shapes. Blue engines. Very symmetrical.

Scavenger Pirates - Brown, grey and black hulls. Neutral colors. Very spiky and scrappy. If there is striping it will be red. If there is lighting it will be red, orange or yellow. Likely orange engines. The picture below is a good indication of their style. Asymmetrical.

Outcasts - White hulls. Brown trim. Orange striping. Black details. Asymmetrical. Bulky, yet scrappy, like star wars ships.

I cannot reveal the last two races however I am confident that we haven't seen their look around much so I am not worried someone will build in their style. You can of course still use the colors above, just alter which color is the primary hull color. Sorry I can't give more imagery. Really though, go nuts. random factions are completely open to interpretation. Below are two images of the TG and pirate styles.

this is awesome! One more thing,I assume there wont be any limits on number of the procedural factions,so we can build 2 or more complete sets

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Can't wait for that pirate station to be refit.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    this is awesome! One more thing,I assume there wont be any limits on number of the procedural factions,so we can build 2 or more complete sets
    Yes. Honestly build as many as you want. Idk how voting will happen but the more the better.

As for systems, it doesn't matter. You can make them as distinct or as average as you want.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    Yes. Honestly build as many as you want. Idk how voting will happen but the more the better.

As for systems, it doesn't matter. You can make them as distinct or as average as you want.
    NICE! Awesome :D
    well I will try to build as many as I can haahahah

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive

3: USD where possible. We have 44 meter long fighters in the TG lineup that have USD on them. At the very least we can alter the dock to suite our needs if the doorway is placed on the build.

Holy tits holy cow Jesus Christ batmansomeonehelpme.

*ahem*
    Thank you for the information Criss, I bet Shine is going to be blown away at the quality and quantity of entries that you will receive.
    Should their be pre-existing logos or space for a logo to be added by you guys on the sides of hulls?
    Do you want the ships to be combat oriented or no? Aka, will the player be fighting these or be boarding them to interact with npc's and buy things/receive quest things.
    Do you want a set for fighting, and a separate set for interaction? Or just combine the two the best we can?
    Should we try to balance it in a way so it doesn't kill the player unless caught off guard (like an alpha) or be like a boss fight (player must bring a significantly bigger ship than the total mass of the wave they are to fight)?
    Basically, should I go evil or go home? :P

How many entries would you be looking for? Would you take perhaps a large number of entries (like 36) and have the database choose 6 of them from the list and use just those each time you spawn a new universe? (So continually different npc's encountered made by players). Or will it be a very limited lineup? Just curious at this point.

Damnit why did I check this thread, I was just about to go to sleep too! Now my brain is rushing with enthusiasm and determination as my fingers rapidfire across my phones touchscreen.

Ooooohhhh I'm so pumped!

Reactions: SkylordLuke

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Holy tits holy cow Jesus Christ batmansomeonehelpme.

*ahem*
    Thank you for the information Criss, I bet Shine is going to be blown away at the quality and quantity of entries that you will receive.
    Should their be pre-existing logos or space for a logo to be added by you guys on the sides of hulls?
    Do you want the ships to be combat oriented or no? Aka, will the player be fighting these or be boarding them to interact with npc's and buy things/receive quest things.
    Do you want a set for fighting, and a separate set for interaction? Or just combine the two the best we can?
    Should we try to balance it in a way so it doesn't kill the player unless caught off guard (like an alpha) or be like a boss fight (player must bring a significantly bigger ship than the total mass of the wave they are to fight)?
    Basically, should I go evil or go home? :p

How many entries would you be looking for? Would you take perhaps a large number of entries (like 36) and have the database choose 6 of them from the list and use just those each time you spawn a new universe? (So continually different npc's encountered made by players). Or will it be a very limited lineup? Just curious at this point.

Damnit why did I check this thread, I was just about to go to sleep too! Now my brain is rushing with enthusiasm and determination as my fingers rapidfire across my phones touchscreen.

Ooooohhhh I'm so pumped!
    1: Currently we use logos that take at least 5x5 meters of space. That is as small as we can get and still get detail in it. Chances are we won't really care if there is space on small ships.

2: The type of ship doesn't really matter. Combat or non-combat oriented ships are acceptable.

3: If we accept sets of ships it will likely be a minimum of 3 and it doesn't really matter what they do. Just need to match in style.

4: Again, does not matter. Build them how you want. NPC's can be used to alter how effective ships are when NPC systems are in the game.

5: 36 entries is a lot for a single submission. Let's say this is anything like the last contest. There were 68 submissions. Now multiply that by 3 ships and we have 204 new possible assets for the game. That is probably a low estimate and still a lot of ships. Lets say 15 of them make it - 45 new assets for factions to use. The factions using these ships will not be as prominent as the TG or Scavengers so they do not need a lot of assets.

Again this is something that will probably take a lot of time to discuss and setup. I need to go over it with the team. We still want to do contests and this is the easiest way to add content to the game that works well with our own plans. I just don't know when yet. I'll make it a point to figure out when this can happen.