Criss' Thread

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    According to Bench, civilized and utopian. Not sure how widespread that is, but consider this uncharted and hostile territory.
    considering the potential size of the starmade universe thats one hellova frontier. we're talking several galactic super clusters in size.

it might be more believable if the lore uses something similar to eve online, with the whole wormhole to another part of the universe that closed trapping the player and everyone else on the complete opposite side of the universe.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    According to Bench, civilized and utopian.
    StarMade sequel? Perhaps when AI tech and computer hardware are up to it, we can see what things look like a little closer to home... I suspect that this "civilized utopia" must have a dark side.

Reactions: kiddan
    Reaction score
    youre supposed to claim a planet and BUILD the civilized utopia ;)

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    youre supposed to claim a planet and BUILD the civilized utopia ;)
    Aye, hopefully we will be able to have humongous planets in the future to let us build, truly, large utopian cities! It would be interesting if the frontier was actually a shattered earth, floating fragments in space. But humans survived and built a giant empire and wonderful cities sprouting off of all sides of the fragments! Something that could actually be procedurally generated in-game if we ever get a giant star-system-sized space-city.

Reactions: icky

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Aye, hopefully we will be able to have humongous planets in the future to let us build, truly, large utopian cities! It would be interesting if the frontier was actually a shattered earth, floating fragments in space. But humans survived and built a giant empire and wonderful cities sprouting off of all sides of the fragments! Something that could actually be procedurally generated in-game if we ever get a giant star-system-sized space-city.
    That would make Shattered Skies the most appropriate server name ever.

Reaction score
    Planet optimization has been a popular conversation on the forums, do we know if, when, and how this will happen? I've heard a lot of different ideas, like making average heights and colors in smaller areas as you got closer, like the space engineers generation, or keeping unchanged plates as seeds unless you can see them. But I've never seen a developer tell us what they think about planets right now with lag and slow computers. Anyone know anything?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1451068477,1451067485][/DOUBLEPOST]I almost want to call Criss or Bench...

kiddan

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Planet optimization has been a popular conversation on the forums, do we know if, when, and how this will happen? I've heard a lot of different ideas, like making average heights and colors in smaller areas as you got closer, like the space engineers generation, or keeping unchanged plates as seeds unless you can see them. But I've never seen a developer tell us what they think about planets right now with lag and slow computers. Anyone know anything?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1451068477,1451067485][/DOUBLEPOST]I almost want to call Criss or Bench...
    I did hear a long time/while ago that Schema had an idea/concept for a LOD system, I don't know much more than that though.

kiddan

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Whoa, thanks for the summary and lore, Criss ! I can't wait to see this stuff myself in-game, 2016 is going to be (or is, depending on when you read this) a big year!

Reaction score
    I'm interested if(this is a bit off topic, I know) there is music added to the game, will trading guild stations have their own music? Like "Stick Station" and "Asteroid field" when in those sectors, and "Pirate attack!" and "(I don't know what to call this one, basically a song for a battle or fight)" for when certain needs are met. The songs would have certain values as well(The pirate song will play instead of the trading guild song in when they both want to). A soundtrack would be such a great addition to starmade.

Reactions: Lecic

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    I'm interested if(this is a bit off topic, I know) there is music added to the game, will trading guild stations have their own music? Like "Stick Station" and "Asteroid field" when in those sectors, and "Pirate attack!" and "(I don't know what to call this one, basically a song for a battle or fight)" for when certain needs are met. The songs would have certain values as well(The pirate song will play instead of the trading guild song in when they both want to). A soundtrack would be such a great addition to starmade.
    Yes there will be music playing based on your surroundings / location in the final game.

Reactions: SkylordLuke
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    I have to agree with Bench, that looks like about the same amount of logic. There are a lot of additional connections I made so that everything lined up nicely.

Now with that said, it's time for another late tease at what we have been up to! As you all know, station refits had to happen eventually. With many other important builds almost complete we decided to start work on these as well. The first one we worked on was the station submitted by Zeno9141

I have to make something clear first, before we started work on these we agreed that if we could have the original builders update their stations that we would. I noticed however that Zeno was quite inactive for a while on the forums and we went ahead anyway. I am sorry Zeno if you wanted to update this station. I hope in the end you find the build satisfactory!

First you will notice a color swap on many parts of the station. Tanks are now orange, pipes are now brown and there is a lot less blue. We modified some exterior bits and reworked the landing pad to accommodate a shuttle. Zeno did a great job on the exterior and thus most of it is intact.

The interior needed a bit of work. The hallways and elevators didn't quite make sense and didn't really lead anywhere meaningful so we decided that a full interior was needed. After walking in through the airlock you will find yourself in a small lobby. There is an elevator ahead, as well as some ramps and rooms in the back.

You will notice that many TG stations offer a nice view in public areas, and quickly become dark and more utilitarian in their office spaces and industrial areas.

In the lower floor you will find a small replica of the factory area found on spawn station. This will be a much more limited factory system.

Of course there needs to be a place for the crew to sleep. The size of this station means there is not a nessecity for more than six rooms. It's possible a wanderer may take up residence here for a short period and for a small fee.

Zeno's station was initially built as a refueling station. The TG use this as a small outpost in frontier territories and it is the smallest station of theirs that is manned by a crew.

Next week we should be taking a look at the Trade Hub station that I submitted for the contest long ago. I would also like to point out that once a week on twitch the StarMade channel streams these station refits. Now this usually happens on Sundays starting at 7pm EST. Sunday's are a bit tight so I may be changing that to another day of the week. We shall see. Anyway click the link and follow if you want to take a look! The streams usually last around 3 hours or more.

I would like to ask that if you post images here, put them in the spoiler tag!
    Honestly I couldn't have done a better job at refitting the station, and I really like the interiors now. I do wonder if the tanks still explode because that was quite a crucial and fun feature.