Criss' Thread

Darkkon

The Harlequin Builder
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    i have a feeling we're getting off topic here.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    The boarding ship I'm working on has Stop, EMP, and Ion Beams so boarding a little ship like that is easy. Don't need a torch with the shields down. :) That said back on topic guys. XD

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    ...Ew, the Trading Guild is using a heavily asymmetric shuttle? Not sure if I like it...
    It's actually symmetrical unless you are talking about the interior. Maybe next time wait till you see both sides of the ship?

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    It's actually symmetrical unless you are talking about the interior. Maybe next time wait till you see both sides of the ship?
    Oh, for some reason it looked to me like only one side had a wing. Never mind!
    Derp.

Reactions: Criss
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Nice shuttle, also a good example what can be accomplished on a reasonable scale. ;)
    Too often one sees ships you need a bicycle to get around on. :D

Greets,

Jan

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Real quick. Just thought I would share this all with you. Life is not all high and mighty whilst working at Schine building things.

Sometimes you have to reverse engineer Bench 's elevator logic without him being present to explain it to you. Then you need to expand on it by converting it from 8 floors to 18 floors. Then you have to connect it because symmetry and copy/paste work against you. In order to keep it clean you need to relay lot's of signals and rearrange connections to suite the new build. Below is what I have so far.

I should also make note that this has hardly increased my personal capability with logic. I simply followed the patterns and copy pasted what I could and made sure everything matched the other build. I have no ****ing clue how to set this up without looking directly back at this stuff. Needless to say I am quite tired. That took me seven and a half hours to get sorted. Oh did I mention that I have to do this 3 more times on the same build?

If you are a logic guru such as Bench is, then I imagine you can all relate to this gif.

Reaction score
    Real quick. Just thought I would share this all with you. Life is not all high and mighty whilst working at Schine building things.

Sometimes you have to reverse engineer Bench 's elevator logic without him being present to explain it to you. Then you need to expand on it by converting it from 8 floors to 18 floors. Then you have to connect it because symmetry and copy/paste work against you. In order to keep it clean you need to relay lot's of signals and rearrange connections to suite the new build. Below is what I have so far.

I should also make note that this has hardly increased my personal capability with logic. I simply followed the patterns and copy pasted what I could and made sure everything matched the other build. I have no ****ing clue how to set this up without looking directly back at this stuff. Needless to say I am quite tired. That took me seven and a half hours to get sorted. Oh did I mention that I have to do this 3 more times on the same build?

If you are a logic guru such as Bench is, then I imagine you can all relate to this gif.

lol

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    No offense to bench but that looks a little logic heavy for an elavator.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Yes you can build an elevagor with less. It is likely this complex due to the nature of the build and the addition of failsafes that prevent it from breaking. Bench doesnt mess around.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I feel your pain. I have been messing around here for quite a while and just used an OR block for the first time the other day. And a factory, and storage pulls. But all that for an elevator, wow. I bet it works really good though.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1

When reading this, this is what I expected Criss to look like:

Reactions: Master_Artificer

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Yes you can build an elevagor with less. It is likely this complex due to the nature of the build and the addition of failsafes that prevent it from breaking. Bench doesnt mess around.
    Yeah there's a fair few failsafes built in. There would be simpler ways to build a lot of things but sometimes you need them super robust.

Also lol Criss, sorry

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Yeah there's a fair few failsafes built in. There would be simpler ways to build a lot of things but sometimes you need them super robust.

Also lol Criss, sorry
    It's all good. I didn't learn much but I feel a sense of accomplishment!

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    I can relate, Criss, I thought building a 3 floor elevator for my R&D station was going to be easy but turns out theres so many ways for things to go wrong. the station interior is now a a criss crossing mess of wires hiding in walls and pillars but its works. let it be known that any "smart" elevator that goes more then 2 floors is going to be a logical nightmare

Thank god for RS-NOR latches
    [DOUBLEPOST=1450500794,1450498683][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Perhaps certain procedurally generated factions could have a mission where the player has to design a ship for them?
    good idea but i have some suggestions

i can't remember what game it was (it might have been spore) but you are given a mission by a faction to design them something like a building or a ship and if you refuse they will hate u, possibility going to war with u if they hate you enough. so in those missions I usually just made them the most basic thing the game would allow and bam! mission complete and reward received.

If we implement such missions in starmade then most likely the universe will be filled with ugly ships. To avoid this i would suggest making the rewards dynamic and dramatically increase the more effort a player puts into the design. having a set reward for something so time consuming will only yield crappy designs.

the second suggestion would be to only make these missions available from allied factions. why would I spend my time designing a powerful ship for a faction that i don't really like. and what happens if that faction decides to attack me? they will be using my super powerful ship against me. If friendly factions are procedurally generated with crappy ships then theres a good incentive for players to design them a good ship.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    That's probably because the elevator is impossible to break. Also it might have multiple platforms, which complexifies things quite a bit (it probably does if it's for a station).

Just making a rail sequence that doesn't break (full noob proof) was painful enough, I don't even want to know what making a smart elevator is like.

Reaction score
    What kind of failsafes, might I ask? I built an elevator myself (with some failsafes) and for this one, you just have to paste a small panel for each floor and connect each floor panel with its neighbors. It looks a lot less complicated than this one.

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    What kind of failsafes, might I ask? I built an elevator myself (with some failsafes) and for this one, you just have to paste a small panel for each floor and connect each floor panel with its neighbors. It looks a lot less complicated than this one.
    I'd need to look at the build again to confirm but it probably has failsafes to ensure it can only be called by one person at a time, that it only stops where it's supposed to stop, that you can't try to call it to a floor it's already on, etc

Blaza612

The Dog of Dissapointment
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'd need to look at the build again to confirm but it probably has failsafes to ensure it can only be called by one person at a time, that it only stops where it's supposed to stop, that you can't try to call it to a floor it's already on, etc
    No offense, but I'd say that needing a fail-safe to prevent it from calling to the floor it's already on is rather unnecessary. How exactly does the elevator logic work?

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    No offense, but I'd say that needing a fail-safe to prevent it from calling to the floor it's already on is rather unnecessary. How exactly does the elevator logic work?
    Uses RS-Nor latch or Flip flop can't remember which one, so it's just an extra AND gate to make sure it doesn't try to trigger anything while on that same floor, it's just a redundancy for those random times something might go astray.