Cool things that could be made with rails

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Question: on that lambda shuttle, it looks like they're rotating perfectly. Are they rotating on a turret axis?
    No they're on the rail corner blocks. Vid soon to explain the setup.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    No they're on the rail corner blocks. Vid soon to explain the setup.
    BTW what about idea of make corner blocks rotate by 45 deegrees? I heared it's planned.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1429781401,1429781222][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Sail ships with retractable sails;)
    [DOUBLEPOST=1429718262,1429718110][/DOUBLEPOST]My brain hurts trying to figure that out. J..just how?
    So sad that there are no solar sails in game :P

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    BTW what about idea of make corner blocks rotate by 45 deegrees? I heared it's planned.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1429781401,1429781222][/DOUBLEPOST]
    So sad that there are no solar sails in game :p
    I agree. Maybe a power recharge boost if they do? My previous tries were scrapped, but I'm hoping my current design works
    [DOUBLEPOST=1429796068][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Is there a plan to add other angles, such as 180 or 60?

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    I agree. Maybe a power recharge boost if they do? My previous tries were scrapped, but I'm hoping my current design works
    [DOUBLEPOST=1429796068][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Is there a plan to add other angles, such as 180 or 60?
    180 yes, not 60. iterations of 45-deg essentially

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    180 yes, not 60. iterations of 45-deg essentially
    OK cool. Are there going to be actual solar sails added later, even as a decoration block? My more recent designs are following solar sail type ships. If not, I'll keep using crystal armor.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    So can any of this be used while piloting a ship? Like bound to a key or to the weapons panel? Was wondering the same thing about the pivot blocks. Just right now it is extremely dangerous to exit your ship while it is in motion (get ejected) and you have to switch over to build mode if you want to activate something (which can be quite disorienting and god forbid you accidentally right click something important while you do so). Rather curious on the limitations so I can began planning some ships around them XD

I've got a partial solution for that: If you put a wedge adjacent to your core and in reach of the logic you want to activate, you can sit on the wedge's 45* surface with the 'o' key, and from there activate the logic or enter/exit the core. When you exit the core, you will be sitting on the same wedge, and stationary relative to the ship regardless of what is happening to the ship. From now on I'm going to be putting a command chair next to the core whenever possible so I can use this. You can probably also just sit on the floor, but that isn't nearly as cool.

Reactions: Bkwrm and Bench

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Made this short video showing off some of my rail inventions.
    You are a real Artist - I like all of it.

Perhaps -as you can use rotation to quickly popup-turrets- we have got variable "rail" speeds with counter-rotating limbs, but need variable rotation speeds now :)

Reactions: Crimson-Artist
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    The shuttle video for those who would like to see it...

I repeated your explanation of how you got the rotator to rotate back and forth but, I think you may have forgotten to say one block connection for the logic blocks in the video. (Or I just completely missed something.)

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    I repeated your explanation of how you got the rotator to rotate back and forth but, I think you may have forgotten to say one block connection for the logic blocks in the video. (Or I just completely missed something.)
    Yeah I wouldn't be surprised, I was hell tired when I recorded it. I'll try to do some tutorials up tonight.

Reactions: Syleiel
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I've been playing around with the rails for a while now (loving them and the new textures today) but I've got a question or two.

How are ships going to or will ships share their systems among each other? For instance, if you want the entire ship to move around a cockpit module on rails, you have to have the ship's body docked to the cockpit module. This means that the body with all the engines and power cannot move since it is docked, and that either the cockpit is immobile with no systems due to size, or you've got a tiny mass module strapped mostly with thrusters moving a big ass ship.

Also, having to have a bunch of moving parts require a core kind of feels sloppy in a way (and ugly when you cannot hide them). Will we always require a ship core for moving entities, or will we eventually get some way to have core-less parts for our ships?

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Also, having to have a bunch of moving parts require a core kind of feels sloppy in a way (and ugly when you cannot hide them). Will we always require a ship core for moving entities, or will we eventually get some way to have core-less parts for our ships?
    from what I heard schema wants to deemphasis ship cores but to what extent we're not sure.