Cool things that could be made with rails

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Suggested this before.
    The only downside would be the single-point-of-failure which is the dock or rail or both.
    But since you can build them deeply inside a ship while you can build the rest spaced away it is no unsolvable problem.

Just remember that the hole-overlap periodically repeats.
    So you did, my apologies! you must have planted the seed in my mind :p.

And that is indeed true, however two plates that do not rotate both with a hole in them will have said hole overlap all the time haha ;)

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Let's build Super Mario
    The jump+run game with moving parts in the environment.

You could expand/collapse the background plane to push someone off a cliff.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I'm intrigued as to how these can currently be done. Do tell.

Currently, I am not entirely sure if a real elevator works ( due to collision problems with the current docking system, current major logic bugs etc) I've tried over the winter break (not like the fake elevator you see in the picture) to make an elevator which had buttons for the passengers on each floor (of which there were 8) and worked with a combination of push, pull, shielded elevator, and door blocks. Due to severe issues with the physics of starmade, it was impossible to get an elevator to work consistently 100% of the time, however given that the bugs have been fixed you can create an elevator with sufficient knowlege of digital systems (logic , kmaps, flipflops etc).

This sound simple until you actually realize the logic of this needs to be made. Each floor needs 8 blocks to signify that the floor is selected, you need to figure out which floor you need to go to first, you also need a button outside of each elevator to signify some one is waiting for the elvator on that floor, and you need to figure out which direction the elevator is going. This would be possible, but certain flipflops were broken/would not work consistently (I submitted all relevant bug reports, so this stuff might have been fixed in the 3 months since I tried). Additionally you need to coordinate logic for which beam you are going to use on the elevator, which the correct direction, AND know where the elevator is at any given time (which floor), this must be done with area triggers, and you must trigger the appropriate plex door plate depending on the direction the elevator was going.

There is no simple way to explain how to create such an elevator, and in order for you to be able to actually create one, the starmade logic tutorials are not going to be enough probably (they leave out a tonne of info and I also don't follow them, I learned about this stuff from school)

Last edited:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Perhaps make separate cabins (with dev-build rail system) which park each third floor.
    Then call a cabin from this or adjacent floor.

P ^ > v
    - ^ - v
    - ^ < v P
    P ^ > v
    - ^ - v
    - ^ < v P
    P = Parking position
    ^ = rail going upwards
    v = rail going downwards
    <> = go to other rail

Then build a simple computer which knows where each cabin C[0..3] is - and which parking spot is empty.
    There will be no collision as everything can only go one direction and stops for a second if there is something adjacent.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Perhaps make separate cabins (with dev-build rail system) which park each third floor.
    Then call a cabin from this or adjacent floor.

P ^ > v
    - ^ - v
    - ^ < v P
    P ^ > v
    - ^ - v
    - ^ < v P
    P = Parking position
    ^ = rail going upwards
    v = rail going downwards
    <> = go to other rail

Then build a simple computer which knows where each cabin C[0..3] is - and which parking spot is empty.
    There will be no collision as everything can only go one direction and stops for a second if there is something adjacent.
    meh, a pater-noster style elevator is easier: (2 shafts, in 1 the cabins only go upwards, in the other the cabins only go downwards, on the top and bottom cabins move from one shaft to another, there are as many cabins as possible, and the "wheels" are always turning)
    I know it's lazy, but it does have it's flair.

Reactions: jayman38

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    :);):(:mad::confused::cool: Animated Emoticons for ships!!! :p:D:eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O

Maybe I build an animated :schema:

Reactions: Lecic
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Sail ships with retractable sails;)
    [DOUBLEPOST=1429718262,1429718110][/DOUBLEPOST]My brain hurts trying to figure that out. J..just how?

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    it's a bit smoother in RL compared to the gif recording. Smaller ship hmm maybe only two panels but there would be ways to reduce its size I think

Spartan4845

Master of Chimichangas and Star Trek Shells
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    it's a bit smoother in RL compared to the gif recording. Smaller ship hmm maybe only two panels but there would be ways to reduce its size I think
    Real question that needs to be asked... can we now build Voltron?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    So can any of this be used while piloting a ship? Like bound to a key or to the weapons panel? Was wondering the same thing about the pivot blocks. Just right now it is extremely dangerous to exit your ship while it is in motion (get ejected) and you have to switch over to build mode if you want to activate something (which can be quite disorienting and god forbid you accidentally right click something important while you do so). Rather curious on the limitations so I can began planning some ships around them XD

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    So can any of this be used while piloting a ship? Like bound to a key or to the weapons panel? Was wondering the same thing about the pivot blocks. Just right now it is extremely dangerous to exit your ship while it is in motion (get ejected) and you have to switch over to build mode if you want to activate something (which can be quite disorienting and god forbid you accidentally right click something important while you do so). Rather curious on the limitations so I can began planning some ships around them XD
    At some point in the future there will be the addition to activate logic from the hotbar, it isn't implemented currently though.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Question: on that lambda shuttle, it looks like they're rotating perfectly. Are they rotating on a turret axis?