Read by Council Block HitPoint Change

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I recently suggested a change to allow to BlockID for more colours but the 3-byte problem below popped up:

It made things really hard as the 1024 (not sure if LSB is a useable blockID, 2048 if it is). Then I looked at HP, at 9 bytes (8 for corners and probably Tetra & slabs). So I thought do we really NEED 512 possible states for a block and does it really improve game play?

I think not. Really blocks are only in a few states and honestly less than a minimum of damges shouldn't harm a block. Hit an anvil with a block of wood for 5 damage until your arm breaks and it will not be damaged, to that end I say we lower the HP variables and put in a 'threashold' of damage before the object degrades to lower states.

Lets use 16 states for a block (4 bits) and each type of block has an intrinsic 'threshold value' before it degrades, which mean unless it receives a certain amount of damage it will not degrade. Basic/Glass might take 5, Standard 10, Advanced & Crystal 20. When damaged the amount of damage is applied if it exceeds the threshold and moves down for each time that threshold is exceeded (or not if it's too small).

This means a piece of Advanced armour would require 320 damage (in one shot) to be destroyed, 200 damage would degrade it 10 steps. Basic armour would be obliterated at 80.

Personal weapons could be damage tunes to match these armour types (missile launcher could degrade advanced armour) so nothing is impenetrable by personal weapons.

If this is adopted our Block data recover 6 bits, which solves the pending colour issue.

Yes we would need a method to convert older schematics but I'm sure that could be automated and a one-time converted as objects load.

Reactions: Exozen