Big Ships are Terrible now...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I understand the need to buff shields on small ships but the shield debuff on big ships is really not needed if a person on a server sees a ship they want to destroy they should\'nt be able just to build a small ship and take it out thats abit unfair that person with the big ship to get killed by someone that spent 10min on building there ship up while they spent a good deal of time building theirs. should the big ship be able to get destroryed Yes but not by one pesky fighter I could see maybe 10 pesky fighters bringing it down or another ship the same size or even bigger taking it out

Reaction score
    DIng ding ding! You win the reward of someone who gets it. Taking down a capital is a job for a fleet or another capital. Unless you match the other guy in terms of shields and weapons its stupid to try and fight alone, its your own fault when you die.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I agree with you guys, I\'m working on the turrets thing ATM. If they can track and shoot enemy ships, it\'d be viable.

Also, we got a massive boost to total sheilds. I went from 200k total to 1.3 million. This is a big deal, I\'m not nessicarily seeing aproblem with the change in proportions. What needs to go is the 99.9-0.1 total-recharge rate proportion. 100k sheild total on my turret to 3k recharge? Takes like 2 mins to fill up. That\'s a little jank. And the recover time thing. My friend sudgested a Damage Threshold that would have to be hit before the sheilds had a recharge cooldown, this would stop ships from being killed by persistant small ships ((Pirates that find you online when you\'re logged off) but also allow them to still be taken down.

Reaction score
    getting my shields destroyed by a 100 block ship when im at least 100 times the size of it is what should occur?

like i said earlier, maybe the regen needed a nerf, but a tiny ass ship being able to destroy the shields on its own? is it not crossing your mind that MAYBE your retarded? regen scales like shit and actually DECREASES the more shields you add after a certain point! (The recovery time is a double dip with the decreased regen speed)

all we need. 100ish block ship.

Reaction score
    I think the max shields could go really high, but if you want to nerf something nerf the regeneration only.

Or there could be option similar to Star Trek online plays, you could transfer power from weapons and thrusters to shields, or other ways.

Reaction score
    Thought I\'d mention, can\'t be sure my STATION is safe from pirates anymore. Turrets will always have bad aim and suck soo...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Did anyone notice that the dinosaurs died out? Does anyone recall what happened after that?

I support what happened with the shields. As BigD pointed out, to make a large ship last in a fight you\'ll need to layer it with armor. Of course, as someone else pointed out, this makes it ridiculously expensive to re-apply ruined armor after a fight. The big planet-smashers had their time, but now begins a time for the smaller ships to shine. Dogfights are about to get intense.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I tried a test, a few cannons on a Corvette class ship will rip through several layers per volley. Hardened hull only protects against 400 damage a block. A shotgun array is devistating to hull tanking attempts. How many layers were you thinking of? 10?

Reaction score
    It\'s already rediculously time consuming (or expensive to rebuy a whole ship) to fix any ship after a fight.

Reaction score
    Maybe make it so its the size of shield block clusters instead of total.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Seeing as this will make repairing ships even more tedious and expensive, I suppose we\'ll be seeing less fighting. More preparation will have to go into battles and expenses predicted beforehand to be able to recover faster after a fight.

In the end I support the nerf, but in the long run it could stand to be a little less intense; I\'ll concede that much.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'m another one that likes the nerf. But so many people complaining indicates that it might not have needed to be so severe. But I feel it\'s still a change for the better overall.

People complaining about lone fighters, taking out your bug honking behemoths. A smaller ship may be able to eventually wear through your shields. Big woop, your capacity got a massive buff, a fighter can break your shield....eventually.

But that\'s what turrets are for. The whole time that little fighter is taking down your shields they have to be dodging fire from your turrets. And the shield changes actually BUFFED your turrets! Guess what, a single shield block now gives your turrets tons of defense for their size! And you can have tons of the things on that big old titan of yours.Shield the turrets to protect from missiles and turn on their AI.

I don\'t care how bad of a shot the AI is, only a few properly built turrets can make it rain bullets, let alone what can go on a battleship. They will get hits. And with shielded turrets and a host ship they won\'t get blown off by a little rocket launcher like the pirate ones do, unless the fighter is specifically built for it. And you know what those are called in games like Freespace? Bombers, guess what they do. They kill capital ships. But they can\'t fight anything their own size.

This change makes ships of all sizes important instead of just a bunch of big behemoths being superior to everything. Capitals kill stations, bombard planets and kill other capitals and cruisers. Medium ships harrass bombers to limit their damage, kill fighters, and provide support fire against other capitals by aiming for turrets. Bombers disable turrets and kill capitals, Fighters kill bombers and other fighters but can\'t efficiently hurt capitals and get shot to hell by cruisers.

Reaction score
    Shields should not be debuffed so much on capital ships so much as the stats of regen vs capacity reworked. If capacity was raised but regen was significantly nerfed (maybe this is what happened, schemas formulas are not resonating with me), then the focus could be more on wearing down shields, not so much a giant battle of DPS vs Shields. I do agree that shields are too useless in big ships in this update, however.

Reaction score
    Lots of time/money/resources = Large/Strong ship > Little time/money/resources = Small/Weak ship

\"Wtf do you mean I have to put forth time, effort, and/or teamwork to take on larger ships, SCREW THAT! I want to build a ship in two minutes and destroy capitals with it! Patch the game schema!\"

*Patch*

Well damn...

Reaction score
    No amount of armor will stand up to missiles. You can build a fighter that\'ll shoot through a planet and then some.

The right way to fix this is to allow some shield regen back and maybe tweak some numbers on total shields again. You can bring down a mothership with just the AMCs you get at the start of the game. A trickle of shields would give big ships invulnerability against a lone determined fighter.

The way things are right now is - as far as the term is applicable in a blocky space shooter - actually more realism. The largest battleship ever, the Yamato, was basically zerged with fighters until it sank. Many, many battleships did not make it to the end of WWII because of aircraft and after that was over nobody felt like spending all the money needed to build more battleships.

Reaction score
    But I\'m not wasting my time on that shit if it\'ll take me 20 minutes to activate all my turrets.

Reaction score
    I agree quite a bit with Grieger and I know that the patch was put in place because capitols were becoming borderline invincible against smaller ships. However I do believe that if you want to take down a capitol then nerfing them isn\'t the best option, instead why not try actually using teamwork. You know, that thing your suppose to use in a faction-based game like this. If you can\'t take it on alone (which you shouldn\'t be able to, until now of course) then take it on with a fleet.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    also, I built a carrier ship with tons of shields and defensive turrets, now the turrets seem to be more well defended then my cargo bays, It\'s medium/large size so it just sits so harshly on that line that any ship can take me out =(. It\'s painful after even fighting pirates with these recent updates