Aux Power & Gigantism

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    IIRC a gpu is built to read the simplest primitives (triangles). From what i've read meshes are processed as tri's in most circumstances because the math is quicker / simpler. A triangle is inherently planar, where as a quad might not be.

However, people advocate modelling in quads as it usually provides a more efficient workflow, helps avoid smoothing / deformation errors and allow certain editors to use sculpting tools with less issue further along in the pipeline.

...i think, anyway. ^^'
    ooooh yes of course, I completely forgot, 3Ds hides the triangles in the squares. my mistake :P

Reactions: nightrune

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    ooooh yes of course, I completely forgot, 3Ds hides the triangles in the squares. my mistake :p
    only if you're using nurbs or primitive extrusion IIRC. Sounds like you need to use your selection tool and turn on show all edges & faces.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    Yea, treating Starmade as first person RTS with spamming ships will greatly improve performance.
    The sarcasm here is coming out loud & clear. Here's the thing...the MP community are already playing SM this way...it's happening now through what is known as 'emergent' play. We are trying to deal with the ongoing trend and it's resultant consequences.

Maybe needing NPC crew for your unmanned vessels to function well? There could be all sorts of limitations to the number of NPC crewmen that can be attained.
    This is the conclusion that I have arrived at;
    The more I think about it, the more Crew seems to be a good way to go for having a carrot & stick maintenance element. It is clear that we need a system that will affect Titans and Fleets equally. A titan with a command-crew will have bunch of NPCs and so will a Fleet (just distributed among different ships.)

We know that good design is important for a ship as is good piloting, but if Star Trek taught us anything it's that a legendary crew (an actual thing in Star Fleet Battles) can make the difference between victory and annihilation. The crew must give us carrots...big, tasty, juicy carrots like aim-bonuses, auto repair, improved maneuvering etc. so that they will be desirable (but not indispensable).
    From this fine thread: Addressing FPS issues with giganticism and fleet spam by using maintenance cost

Reaction score
    I'm impressed bye starmade community computer science knowledge... personally how players use titans is what makes gigantism worse.. It's fine on it's own. But grief someone you know is using a laptop to play or pick your battles to noob smash only... you can be a dick using one, get people to hate the game, or just use one for faction warfare. It in mutual battle agreements

Spoolooni

Token Chinese
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I'm impressed bye starmade community computer science knowledge... personally how players use titans is what makes gigantism worse.. It's fine on it's own. But grief someone you know is using a laptop to play or pick your battles to noob smash only... you can be a dick using one, get people to hate the game, or just use one for faction warfare. It in mutual battle agreements
    I've played Starmade on a crappy laptop before and even build titans on it. It was all fun and games until my detestable macbook begun burning out at the rate of a Nixie Tube. But you know what I did besides blaming people with titans? I worked extra hours when I was employed, saved enough money to purchase a proper desktop that costed a lot cheaper than the laptop and sold that dumb laptop for a mobile sketchbook (Ipad and Apple Pencil). Now I'm working on a 600m ship, it's no where close to titan but I can play Starmade with ease even when I am still using a 780ti.

Reaction score
    tis a game that is scaleable to hardware restrictions. and i do believe the more optimizations we get, the larger these large ships become to push again to the point that hardware starts slowing down.. unless we get optimization like LoD that would cancel out most of the loading. or a very unpopular logrthmic curve on various values. it looks to always be the pain in the ass

i would love to think this is upto the servers. but servers do not like running special blockconfigs etc. or mass restrictions. and most of the popular ones are pvp oriented..

Reaction score
    As we go along, certain updates break large ships (FPS crashes); others help them. As an Alpha game this isn't surprising. We'll need to wait and see how far optimization can go before we can talk about limiting gigantism ... as what exactly IS gigantism is mostly based on what lags too bad for most players.

Reaction score
    The age old topic is back again.

In a sandbox game, there is always going to be players who build different to you, there are always going to be that 1 player who goes around stomping noobs.

The only way that your going to stop players with large ships from leaving their homebase is to make it to risky to undock.

Simple things like when you scan a sector with an enemy in it, it flags red on the galaxy map and can be shared with allies.
    With more functionality between factions (as this game isnt currently supporting playing together in 1 faction as its more favorable to be 1manning) it will pose a greater risk to attack players and will give a purpose to having the ability to see what other factions relations are.

Currently scanning is basic, faction diplomacy is basic, navigation basic, fleet controls basic. once these are upgraded it will aid in the demise of risking all your resources into 1 ship.

Or

Just lower the resource gathering so far that it takes 5 months of farming to gather enough to build 3million blocks

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Just lower the resource gathering so far that it takes 5 months of farming to gather enough to build 3million blocks
    It may be that server admins boost mining bonuses a bit too much, when in fact they should keep or lower the default bonus. it might encourage people to build and fight over territory instead of hold one system.

But your suggestion is a tad extreme.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    It may be that server admins boost mining bonuses a bit too much, when in fact they should keep or lower the default bonus. it might encourage people to build and fight over territory instead of hold one system.

But your suggestion is a tad extreme.
    Well, the problem is that a lower mining bonus makes ships more valuable and people are more hesitant to risk losing them. With a bigger mining bonus, on the other hand, people build their ships bigger, which makes them more hesitant to risk losing them. :confused:

Reaction score
    Well, the problem is that a lower mining bonus makes ships more valuable and people are more hesitant to risk losing them. With a bigger mining bonus, on the other hand, people build their ships bigger, which makes them more hesitant to risk losing them. :confused:
    At least on the first choice you got more fps and less crash. :p

Spoolooni

Token Chinese
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Mining bonuses should be balanced with over-saturation in mind but it shouldn't really take that much time of daily farming to get anything accomplished. In fact some servers enforce rules such as, "only one titan per faction" some even make you register the titans or they'll be hunted down and destroyed.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    If you want people to fight, there are means to bring this about. Limit the amount of space available, or change the respawn time of asteroids. If people have to spread out, well, they'll have to defend their territory, else someone will ninja precious resources.

Even easier, if fighting is what you want to happen, then that should be built right into your server rules.

Spoolooni

Token Chinese
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Bigger isn't an issue entirely, you forgot the fleet spam. People generally build bigger because they can, but people build "more" because it's more viable.

Reaction score
    Lmfao, you are kidding right?
    Gasboy

Mining bonus, server block limits and admins are all you have when it comes to setting limits in this game from those who try to push this game to its limit.

Fleet spammers are defeated by admins and server rules, set the rule to 3-5 ships per fleet

Titan builders are defeated by server config block limits and admins

Mining bonus creates abundance, thus building bigger is more achievable. if it was abit more scarce, players will have to defend multiple sectors to hold asteroid spawns.

On craftau we have a guy flying around in 7mil blocks (502k mass) he can pretty much disconnect anyone from the game by jumping on top of them. so we had to set a rule that titans can only be used for duel purposes and away from player bases. we then looked at what size the vast majority use and set 2million blocks the limit (cant be enforced by a config due to tue ceiling being 7mil) for normal ships.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Gasboy

Mining bonus, server block limits and admins are all you have when it comes to setting limits in this game from those who try to push this game to its limit.

Fleet spammers are defeated by admins and server rules, set the rule to 3-5 ships per fleet

Mining bonus creates abundance, thus building bigger is more achievable. if it was abit more scarce, players will have to defend multiple sectors to hold asteroid spawns.

On craftau we have a guy flying around in 7mil blocks (502k mass) he can pretty much disconnect anyone from the game by jumping on top of them. so we had to set a rule that titans can only be used for duel purposes and away from player bases. we then looked at what size the vast majority use and set 2million blocks the limit (cant be enforced by a config due to tue ceiling being 7mil) for normal ships.
    Yes, I understand all of that. It is on the admins to limit players ship building designs and desires.

But your limit of 5 months for 3 million blocks is a tad much, I think. You should focus on limiting fleet and ship sizes, not how many blocks people have.

Spoolooni

Token Chinese
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Gasboy

If you think the entire community is going to agree spending 5 months farming and mining asteroids for hours on a game like Starmade, I'd like to know what you're smoking. Plus if the game were to set it that way, people will just add bonuses. So I have to agree with Gasboy.

Last edited:

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    If you think the entire community is going to agree spending 5 months farming and mining asteroids for hours on a game like Starmade, I'd like to know what you're smoking. Plus if the game were to set it that way, people will just add bonuses. So I have to agree with Gasboy.
    I'd just switch back to IRL mining. I don't play a game to have a 2nd (unpaid) 40+hr job.

Spoolooni

Token Chinese
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I'd just switch back to IRL mining. I don't play a game to have a 2nd (unpaid) 40+hr job.
    Yeah no kidding dood. It's why I stopped playing those overly grindy MMO's. I feel as if people need to realize that Starmade is not an MMO title and should suggest things with that in mind.