Addressing FPS issues with giganticism and fleet spam by using maintenance cost

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    As pretty much everyone knows, titans are not allowed at spawn, lest everyone's framerates slow to a crawl. I am having similar issues with a destroyer fleet I built to hunt titans with. My framerate drops to as little as 15 FPS with my fleet in the same sector as my homebase. My framerate is normally well above 100 with just my station and battleminer. Heaven help the server or any player nearby if ever a titan and a fleet such as mine meet, let alone fight.

As time goes on optimizations will be made, server code will get tighter and people's computers will be able to handle more. However this alone does not address the issue sufficiently, as when the code and cards permit, we'll just have a few titans and a hundred small ships, creating the same issue.

We need a mechanism in the game which will limit the profusion of large fleets and titans, without prohibiting them. To this end I propose a mechanism which is ubiquitous in science fiction gaming, that of maintenance cost. Ships should require the expenditure of a limited resource, so people have to ration their use of said resource. They could opt to have a large ship, or several small ships, but not necessarily all ships, all the time.

Just what this resource should be, how much of it various ships might require, and how quickly it replenishes, is very much up for discussion. I will pen what thoughts I may.

I do not advise using credits for this, as future developments are certain to permit automated processes using fleets, such as mining, that will permit making the earning of such credits largely automatic. Rather than solve the issue, using credits would exacerbate it, as people would create such automated fleets to profitably generate what would be needed, resulting in even more fleet spam.

Fuel could work but would require a massive change to the game and a redesign of virtually every existing ship in the game. Given that there are other ways to handle it, I think fuel would pose too high a human cost for it to now be retroactively added to the game.

Faction points are very likely to be involved in this process, though exactly how I could only guess. Faction points generate slowly over time and there is relatively little do do with them right now. They are currently IMO ideal for being what gets spent on maintenance. A titan aught be more than any given player could generate on their own, but a group of players pooling their resources could each fly their own miner, and still have enough to field a titan. Alternatively a faction might opt to forgo such a spectacle and instead have a much larger number of smaller ships able to take the fight to such a titan.

Another way to abstract this would still use faction points but do so indirectly by paying crew out of faction points, and having ships either require crew (based on total system weight), or have the crew otherwise confer such a significant bonus to the ship's effectiveness that it would be foolhardy to deploy such a large investment without it. This latter is actually my preferred option, as it would still allow an individual to build a behemoth, it would not completely obsolete existing fleets and builds, but it would create a massive incentive to retrofit or otherwise restrain their use.

What say you?

Reaction score
    Single player creative mode player here, so I have no real stake in this at the moment.

But... using faction points in this way sounds like a good way to encourage people to want to belong to a larger faction rather each person founding their own faction, which is good for the social and game-play aspects of online play.

That said, I really just wanted to post and double down on the crew idea in your last paragraph. It makes a kind of RP sense in that each player brings a certain number of people/followers/crew with them which the faction can use. It makes the necessary game limitation feel less arbitrary (not that there is a problem with arbitrary limits if they are a game-play necessity.) It also provides a sensible logical use for crew, which will result in ship interiors scaling up with ship size rather than just staying at a size that feels "big" to the lone human player in the ship regardless of how massive the ship is.

Edit: Ok, so I put back on my single player creative hat for a moment and do want to point out that linking faction points and crew could easily result in crew/mass ratio's being fixed as well as removing the ability to design a ship to be crew heavy or crew light for it's mass for RP reasons. This isn't necessarily a reason not to link faction points and crew, just something to keep in mind.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    A simple system would have ships slowly drain faction points based on their mass or some other metric. Each active player slowly generates faction points. So you'd have a limit to the amount of ships you can sustain based on the number of players in your faction. I'd suggest that stations work similarly, but perhaps not drain faction points as much as ships, except for the homebase which should be free and not consume faction points at all. Or maybe some stations generate faction points on their own?

In any future balancing efforts the faction point drain could be tweaked endlessly by looking at the ship's power generation/storage, shield systems, number of weapon blocks, jump drives, etc. Or for that matter each block type could have its own faction point maintenance cost so the FP drain of your ship is easily calculable and depends greatly on its purpose. So hull might not cost any or be negligible, while shields cost much more, and so on.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Faction points are very likely to be involved in this process, though exactly how I could only guess. Faction points generate slowly over time and there is relatively little do do with them right now. They are currently IMO ideal for being what gets spent on maintenance. A titan aught be more than any given player could generate on their own, but a group of players pooling their resources could each fly their own miner, and still have enough to field a titan. Alternatively a faction might opt to forgo such a spectacle and instead have a much larger number of smaller ships able to take the fight to such a titan.
    I just copy my statement from here:
    I'd prefer a carrot-and-stick approach, so there also needs to be a carrot. There should be an incentive to spread out fleets across faction space instead of massing them together. Inverted FP, multiple invincible HBs and unloaded combat could help with that. Regarding the stick, I don't think people should be punished for building stuff, just for ship and fleet gigantism. I have an idea, but I need to flesh it out more before I can present it.

Another way to abstract this would still use faction points but do so indirectly by paying crew out of faction points, and having ships either require crew (based on total system weight), or have the crew otherwise confer such a significant bonus to the ship's effectiveness that it would be foolhardy to deploy such a large investment without it. This latter is actually my preferred option, as it would still allow an individual to build a behemoth, it would not completely obsolete existing fleets and builds, but it would create a massive incentive to retrofit or otherwise restrain their use.
    I see a few problems with this. If ships needed one crewman per 10k mass, for example, building ships with 15k mass would be stupid, since it would require 2 crewmen, which would waste 5k mass. This would severely limit creativity in a very bad way. Also, I don't want to lose a battle just because a luckshot killed an important crewman.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    Or maybe some stations generate faction points on their own?
    If 'non-invulnerable' stations generated faction points, there would be a reason to build such stations, a reason to defend them, and they would be a good target for faction warfare. Bigger stations aught generate somewhat bigger amounts, though not linearly. Of course we still need a reason for factions to actually go to war. Perhaps linking faction points to ship maintenance will ultimately be the goad, as factions will want to claim as many systems as possible to generate as many faction points as possible.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    If we have required crew, I think the crew should actually do things and have a tangible effect, not just be some abstract measurement. So if you are short on crew, specific parts of your ship either don't work at all or at a reduced efficiency, and you have to prioritize crew assignments based on what systems you need right now. And whatever the crew does should also be doable by human players as well without being a boring "Monitor that valve and yell if it gets too hot" type thing.

I'm not sure what specifics to offer though.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    I see a few problems with this. If ships needed one crewman per 10k mass, for example, building ships with 15k mass would be stupid, since it would require 2 crewmen, which would waste 5k mass. This would severely limit creativity in a very bad way. Also, I don't want to lose a battle just because a luckshot killed an important crewman.
    That is a legitimate concern. However the problem is much lessened if we assume it would be more like one crewman per 1000 mass instead.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    If 'non-invulnerable' stations generated faction points, there would be a reason to build such stations, a reason to defend them, and they would be a good target for faction warfare. Bigger stations aught generate somewhat bigger amounts, though not linearly. Of course we still need a reason for factions to actually go to war. Perhaps linking faction points to ship maintenance will ultimately be the goad, as factions will want to claim as many systems as possible to generate as many faction points as possible.
    Simply use the inverted FP system, that would be better than spamming stations everywhere.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    If we have required crew, I think the crew should actually do things and have a tangible effect, not just be some abstract measurement. So if you are short on crew, specific parts of your ship either don't work at all or at a reduced efficiency, and you have to prioritize crew assignments based on what systems you need right now. And whatever the crew does should also be doable by human players as well without being a boring "Monitor that valve and yell if it gets too hot" type thing.
    This is actually part of the development plan and is being worked on now. Check out: Brainstorm This: Crew: Stations, bonuses, specialties, experience & expense.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    That is a legitimate concern. However the problem is much lessened if we assume it would be more like one crewman per 1000 mass instead.
    With this we probably had the same lag as now with half as many ships or worse.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    Simply use the inverted FP system, that would be better than spamming stations everywhere.
    Could you give me a link please or something that explains what "the inverted FP system" is? I see the spamming of stations to defend as being a really good thing, an actual reason to fight, so I am very curious to know what would be better.

With this we probably had the same lag as now with half as many ships or worse.
    I do not think it would be that laggy. A crewman on station would just be for all intents a block conferring a bonus to a system. Those 'blocks' would occasionally move from their duty station to their bed, or a recreation room or something, but the server could simply tell the client to move the crewman and give it a time frame, then ignore the crewman while the client handles the movement.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    I still like the idea of charging FP per tic for any faction entities, more for entities when they are outside of claimed space.

I also still strongly support a fuel dynamic.

Schine's recent upgrades have significantly improved performance, but as expected, players have significantly increased the scale of their fleets leaving us in the same old situation of lag management. Despite its being anathema to a sandbox game, a ceiling or at least softcap of some sort is needed.
    [doublepost=1477673079,1477672907][/doublepost]
    Could you give me a link please or something that explains what "the inverted FP system" is?
    Inverted FP has become a semi-common mod where instead of charging factions FP to control systems, controlling systems is how they earn FP, and they must earn FP to pay for an upkeep constant or drop into negative FP thereby losing HB invulnerability. Thus territory must be expanded & defended... for every faction. It has been proven to incite not only warfare, but also diplomacy, espionage, and other interactions.

Reactions: Valck
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    Inverted FP has become a semi-common mod where instead of charging factions FP to control systems, controlling systems is how they earn FP, and they must earn FP to pay for an upkeep constant or drop into negative FP thereby losing HB invulnerability. Thus territory must be expanded & defended... for every faction. It has been proven to incite not only warfare, but also diplomacy, espionage, and other interactions.
    I presume that the way they control those systems is by placing a station, that is not invulnerable, in that system and then using that station's faction block to claim the system. Malacodor suggested using the Inverted FP system 'instead' of "spamming stations everywhere". I don't see any issue. If the system is claimed by virtue of a station that is not invulnerable, then that is quite exactly what I was alluding to.

Reactions: MacThule
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I presume that the way they control those systems is by placing a station, that is not invulnerable, in that system and then using that station's faction block to claim the system. Malacodor suggested using the Inverted FP system 'instead' of "spamming stations everywhere". I don't see any issue. If the system is claimed by virtue of a station that is not invulnerable, then that is quite exactly what I was alluding to.
    The difference is one station per system instead of 4000, I should have explained that better.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    The difference is one station per system instead of 4000, I should have explained that better.
    Ok. I should have been clearer myself. I never meant to imply that more than one station per system would work. There is zero disagreement between us.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    The more I think about it, the more Crew seems to be a good way to go for having a carrot & stick maintenance element. It is clear that we need a system that will affect Titans and Fleets equally. A titan with a command-crew will have bunch of NPCs and so will a Fleet (just distributed among different ships.)

We know that good design is important for a ship as is good piloting, but if Star Trek taught us anything it's that a legendary crew (an actual thing in Star Fleet Battles) can make the difference between victory and annihilation. The crew must give us carrots...big, tasty, juicy carrots like aim-bonuses, auto repair, improved maneuvering etc. so that they will be desirable (but not indispensable).

[Now I'm off to brainstorm some crew-positions on that thread. Thx Panpiper]

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    This is all easy fixed with active admins, put a blockcap on ship/station size. id also go with putting a standard rule of try not to make a lagmonster, if you do its got 24hrs to be dismantled.

Fleets cant support more than 3 ships of decent size as they bash into each other.

Craftau has set 2mil as the cap for standard ships, anything higher is considered a titan (blockcap at 7mil) which we have stated must be used for dueling away from player bases, and not used for attacking players outside of agreed combat

Reaction score
    This is all easy fixed with active admins, put a blockcap on ship/station size. id also go with putting a standard rule of try not to make a lagmonster, if you do its got 24hrs to be dismantled.

Fleets cant support more than 3 ships of decent size as they bash into each other.

Craftau has set 2mil as the cap for standard ships, anything higher is considered a titan (blockcap at 7mil) which we have stated must be used for dueling away from player bases, and not used for attacking players outside of agreed combat
    :0 that's a really smooth but really annoying server to play on. I imagine all the big builders are pulling their hair out now. Although now that I look closely at it, 2mil/7mil hardcaps are pretty good.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    Good, active, hardworking, creative, & clever Admin are a solution for almost anything. That does not mean that the vanilla game is well balanced. In my perfect world the game is rock-solid in terms of balance & Caps, that way the Admin can focus on the 'fun' elements of making their server unique. I respect the technical know-how required to run a server but I would prefer that running a server remains viable for people with resources and enthusiasm (absent any great technical skill).

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Good, active, hardworking, creative, & clever Admin are a solution for almost anything. That does not mean that the vanilla game is well balanced. In my perfect world the games is rock-solid in terms of balance & Caps, that way the Admin can focus on the 'fun' elements of making their server unique. I respect the technical know-how required to run a server but I would prefer that running a server remains viable for people with resources and enthusiasm (absent any great technical skill).
    Agreed 100%. I feel like there is far too much onus being placed on servads to fix imbalances and issues with the core game. I feel like it should operate smoothly out of the box. As an end-goal, obviously. It's Alpha, etc, yes, but that cannot be a reason not to aim for non-alpha conditions any more than the powers of servads can be a reason for the vanilla version to have known flaws every servad is then expected to solve in some way. Starmade vanilla still needs this and/or some additional controls on mass to protect FPS; my hope would be crew & fuel & FP all operating in concert to force players to make hard choices in terms of total ship and fleet masses.