Aux Power & Gigantism

Reaction score
    Haha i only said 5 months to exaggerate it, but nice to know that everything on here is taken literally.

currently with default settings i could mine out 2-3 planets and maybe a couple of asteriods, then more than likely make a 2million+ titan. so in a good day of playing i could smash out a premade blueprint and crush noobs.

Now if you made it 10 planets, at least it would take more than 1day of solid playing to take a big cut out of a server

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    To answer the original post about giant-ism. After researching further, I think I now understand how aux power is best used. I now also limit the size of my aux power tanks to avoid a complete failure of the system in the event of a direct hit. I'm seeing a massive increase in firepower that I never thought possible and will be experimenting with cloaking as well. The system seems about as reliable as docked reactors but is much simpler to set up and use.

will it affect giantism? I'd have to say yes. Even I; the guy with an average ship size of 100 meters am venturing into larger designs. If I'm doing it, I know a lot of other people are going to do it even bigger. On the other hand, the volatile nature of auxilliary units is a weakness worth exploiting when facing significantly larger ships and as such, I've devised a strategy to disable such craft by using smaller specialized craft. I imagine other players who do not or cannot build large are planning the same thing. Giant-ism will still exist but with fleets being a thing, it I don't think it will be the "be all end all" of StarMade anymore.

Reaction score
    Yeah no kidding dood. It's why I stopped playing those overly grindy MMO's. I feel as if people need to realize that Starmade is not an MMO title and should suggest things with that in mind.
    I agree with that, it's all about balancing things. Currently without mining bonuses you can still build ships easily, juste mine a few giant asteroids. Then go to the nearest shop to gather things you didn't mined and sell things you get plenty of. With huge mining bonuses everyones will get so much things that huge battleships are fighter for others.
    Also with mining unloaded fleets it will be easy to just gather ressources while doing something else so i wouldn't be scared about that.

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I've read through some more of the posts. This thread seems to have become more of an argument about scale; more so than just giantism. Proponents of mining bonuses suggest that it's too easy to build a titan and thus giantism is encouraged. Opponents say 'make them work for it'.

In any case, the mining bonuses are irrelevant. All they do is increase the overall amount of blocks owned by players on the server. They do not necessarily give anyone a major advantage. If we were limited in such a way that collecting enough resources just to build a 10,000 mass ship became a month long project, I would respond by building a fleet of high spec 500-2,000 mass ships in order to have an operational fleet while everyone else is busy stock-piling. Regardless of overall scale, players always have to weigh the pros and cons of building less efficient but larger, more powerful ships or a fleet of highly efficent smaller ships.

As fleet commands evolve, you'll probably see a slight movement away from capital ships and toward smaller craft. Larger factions will still have larger fleets and more battleships than say, a one-man faction.

Spoolooni

Token Chinese
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I've read through some more of the posts. This thread seems to have become more of an argument about scale; more so than just giantism. Proponents of mining bonuses suggest that it's too easy to build a titan and thus giantism is encouraged. Opponents say 'make them work for it'.

In any case, the mining bonuses are irrelevant. All they do is increase the overall amount of blocks owned by players on the server. They do not necessarily give anyone a major advantage. If we were limited in such a way that collecting enough resources just to build a 10,000 mass ship became a month long project, I would respond by building a fleet of high spec 500-2,000 mass ships in order to have an operational fleet while everyone else is busy stock-piling. Regardless of overall scale, players always have to weigh the pros and cons of building less efficient but larger, more powerful ships or a fleet of highly efficent smaller ships.

As fleet commands evolve, you'll probably see a slight movement away from capital ships and toward smaller craft. Larger factions will still have larger fleets and more battleships than say, a one-man faction.
    I do think we should wait for crews to arrive, I believe they will change the tide and lay out the boundaries in which one must deal with if they choose to go large. Though every time people imply gigantism is a problem, simpleton minds will immediately suggest, "mining 2 ez."

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    I do think we should wait for crews to arrive, I believe they will change the tide and lay out the boundaries in which one must deal with if they choose to go large. Though every time people imply gigantism is a problem, simpleton minds will immediately suggest, "mining 2 ez."
    I actually just think the pressure on the player just isn't enough. You aren't forced to spend resources often enough to stop gigantism. In that regard NPCs should really help.

Spoolooni

Token Chinese
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I actually just think the pressure on the player just isn't enough. You aren't forced to spend resources often enough to stop gigantism. In that regard NPCs should really help.
    Yeah, that is the more smarter solution: have NPC's that benefit everyone's ships to the point where you're obligated to have a crew that must be maintained as it should be.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Yeah, that is the more smarter solution: have NPC's that benefit everyone's ships to the point where you're obligated to have a crew that must be maintained as it should be.
    Not particularly, It's about having npcs that push on your borders and you have to fend them off with ships and stations.

Spoolooni

Token Chinese
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Not particularly, It's about having npcs that push on your borders and you have to fend them off with ships and stations.
    Well, then I am still thinking of crews in which I believe will solidify a strong solution ontop of the existence of PVE-driven conflict.

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    In the game's current state, better fleet controls would be the best option to counter giant-ism. The concept of crews, while a fun idea, has not been presented in such a way that would benefit players without becoming redundant or overly complex. More work and discussion on crews will be needed before this becomes something that people will use beyond novelty purposes.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Agame3