Ares mod

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I'm afraid it's mostly dead at this time. If there's enough interest, I'd be happy to start the server up.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Wouldn't the mod need to be updated to keep up with the game itself?
    As long as StarD still works, Ares should be able to just plug in and work. I'll run some tests this weekend to be sure though.
    [doublepost=1504743953,1504742700][/doublepost]Note that dead only means I don't plan to implement new features at this time. I will still respond to bug reports and fix issues found with Ares.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Speaking of wasn't there an issue where if a server was left empty it didn't reset from the previous match to starting setup after a while? Or did that get fixed at some point?

Also that Blue Giant map might be a quick death zone this version of the game. XD

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Speaking of wasn't there an issue where if a server was left empty it didn't reset from the previous match to starting setup after a while? Or did that get fixed at some point?

Also that Blue Giant map might be a quick death zone this version of the game. XD
    A fix for taht is in github. Looks like I never released a version with it though. Likely as I was waiting for a live test with players before releasing new versions.

I'll test what's currently in guthub and release it after testing this weekend.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Maybe there's a way to make use of the NPC factions in the mod? Not sure but it'd be interesting to see. :)

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Maybe there's a way to make use of the NPC factions in the mod? Not sure but it'd be interesting to see. :)
    I'd love to see small NPC ship fleet "minions" (sorry, I play League of Legends a lot) spawning every minute and starting to move towards the enemy base... but the game isn't ready for that yet, they'd very quickly clutter up and kill the server because current AI takes forever to kill small ships with small ships. I had to watch for 30 goddamn minutes for 2 1000 block fighters to kill each other in a locked sector using beam weapons (because missiles will never hit that small size and cannons won't work either because they move to the edge of the weapon's range and just keep missing a that distance). Plus that's a lot of scripting to do.

Reactions: Asvarduil
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Like Matt said,
    I don't think NPC fleets would work yet. Th other issue being you would get a buildup of them in unloaded sectors wherever they where sent until players showed up.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I've released the latest updates as v0.1.0. This includes the following updates:
    - works with the latest version of StarMade
    - Now uses latest StarD libraries
    - new map, breach.
    - Update the default blueprints including TA ships now.
    - Game auto-balancing is enabled. This will automatically try to rebalance teams if things are out of wack.
    - Game will now reset after 10 minutes if no one is online

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Yay :)

Oh I noticed the Light and Darkness serve guys might have what you need to go from a credit based system to a block based one if you want to. They have neutral cargo ships come in and drop off supplies every so often. Not sure how that'd affect the game's balance though but it'd also end up allowing stations to be used. I'm guessing there might be a script workaround for allowing station BPs like say instead of spawning them instantly it'd buy them as a filled BP. Just ideas though.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I've considered that, problem is what resources to give? I don't really want to make people build ships specifically optimized to utilize the resources given. Diversity is a good thing in ship design.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Since it'd be a scripted resource drop off I'd say you could in theory given X amount of everything. That said finding a way to change how the Buy with Credits works might be the more useful option, say instead of spawning entities outright on buy it'd give the buyer a filled BP to spawn as they like but only in sectors their team owns that are either the main starting one or that have a shipyard.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I'd love to play Ares Mod again. If anyone is willing to set up a small server some people will be very very happy! Id do it myself. I even got the server set up in a Virtual machine. But ubuntu in my virtual machine always breaks after a few hours of usage...just black screen randomly and can't boot up.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    id do it if i didnt suck, sounds fun
    did you ever play it back in 2015? It was so fun and very very balanced (I'm sure youd win everytime solo though lol).

Heres a boarding encounter I had with kupu back then:

Reactions: kupu
    Reaction score
    i played a little. got some inspiration on how i wanted to do my survival servers faction system from it, but that never worked out =p

Reactions: Asvarduil

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    I think I got into a dogfight with kupu once but crashed out before I could finish the job. XD

Reactions: aceface