Ares mod

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    hmm noticed a few things today.

First if there are 0 players on a server but a match hasn't ended it is still active for when someone else logs in rather than cleaning house for the next group that comes online.

Next is after a certain point it becomes hard to tell the good BPs from the bad ones if you haven't been online in a while. >_>

Also the team faction lists never clear of players if they just logoff. It'd be nice if it'd auto remove them from the faction after a few hours of not being around to keep the list down. Or maybe move them to a spare people faction of some kind.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    I just played this yesterday on the JustAres server with a few 3v3 and even a 4v4 matchup and it was amazing!

Could I request a !give_credits <playername> <amount> or something? Currently we were just dropping credits on top of each other into space, but it would be easier to type in some command for it. Or maybe have a faction bank that we can drop into and take out.

This was a huge blast and I loved it! I liked that the ship sizes seemed to stay between 2k and 20k mass, seemed to be a good size. Big enough to be a respectable ship, but small and the fights don't lag into slideshows when you have many people.

I have plans for orbital forts and other defenses to buy and deploy next to recyclers after capturing them after my simple small turrets (with 200-200-200 cannon cannon punch) I deployed on the base dockers (all 8 of them) saved my butt a few times and stopped the spawn camping that we had issues with on games before.

Also I have a cool idea for a new map, with "lanes" that you typically see, and with some of Sky-lord Lukes stations that he made a crapton of.

Is it possible to have a star system locked? What about 3 star systems, if you were to have a setup spanning 3 sectors? (gives you detection about enemy assaults into your space then). Can you edit the galaxy map, to have just three systems? Custom backgrounds? Place stars, planets, and asteroid belt spawning points?

No I am not creating a map from Sins of a Solar Empire. Okay, maybe I am. I CAN DREAM CAN'T I?

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Hmm here's a funny idea, there could be a station with a massive shipyard on it that should be able to hold any kind of ship. It'd somehow generate new blocks slowly to fill the storages, pouring credits into its shop would speed up the generation rate of the blocks to make the repairs go faster. The idea of the station is it'd help fix any damage to a ship. There'd likely only be one of these and it's faction would change to the controlling faction to allow for easier docking and fixing of ships without faction issues. :)

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Howdy Matt,
    It's not a bad idea. Though there is one issue.
    Right now to stop players from stashing ships somewhere to use for games is that that mod will clean up the entire server of player ships after each game.
    With what you suggested, It may be possible for players of the game to get ships close enough to the combat area to be able to pick up later.
    I don't have a good solution to solve that as deleting all ships in the sectors one at a time that are near the combat area would take a considerable amount of time(not something that you would want to do before every game).

Definitely feel free to keep throwing ideas at me though. This will in the end be owned by the community, and I hope to tailor it as much as possible to what this community wants.

I am curious though. Do you think the Bases have too much shielding? You guys seemed to have great difficulty taking one down.
    Wouldn't it be possible to just stick it really really really far out? Just as a comparison, the tutorial station is located somewhere in the universe, and it's possible to get to it, but it's pretty freaking far out iirc.

You could also lock all the sectors surrounding the battle area. Only problem with that is that it'd probably be possible to just use jump drives to get in (but anything in the zone gets wiped, so you couldn't stash a ship there). So, I guess people could warp out of the battle zone, grab their ship and warp back in, but that just sounds like too much effort.

Honestly though, the server config is pretty specific so it probably wouldn't work along with a normal server, mostly because the server would be using buy with credits.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    hmm wonder if there is a way to make Buying ships/stations with credits be limited to an area?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Can we move inital starting credits to the map not the server?

Also what is the value option math?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Howdy Guys,
    Sorry I've been tied down a bit lately(largely due to the holiday season), but I should be more available now.

hmm noticed a few things today.

First if there are 0 players on a server but a match hasn't ended it is still active for when someone else logs in rather than cleaning house for the next group that comes online.

Next is after a certain point it becomes hard to tell the good BPs from the bad ones if you haven't been online in a while. >_>

Also the team faction lists never clear of players if they just logoff. It'd be nice if it'd auto remove them from the faction after a few hours of not being around to keep the list down. Or maybe move them to a spare people faction of some kind.
    I've added these issues to the bugtracker: https://github.com/Jeryia/StarD-Ares/issues/

Wouldn't it be possible to just stick it really really really far out? Just as a comparison, the tutorial station is located somewhere in the universe, and it's possible to get to it, but it's pretty freaking far out iirc.

You could also lock all the sectors surrounding the battle area. Only problem with that is that it'd probably be possible to just use jump drives to get in (but anything in the zone gets wiped, so you couldn't stash a ship there). So, I guess people could warp out of the battle zone, grab their ship and warp back in, but that just sounds like too much effort.

Honestly though, the server config is pretty specific so it probably wouldn't work along with a normal server, mostly because the server would be using buy with credits.
    So here's what I'm working towards for merging survival with the ares game:
    The Ares battleground area would exist in a area far away from spawn with a wall around it. This 'wall' prevents players who are not within the battleground to from entering, and people in the battleground from leaving(it even stops jump drives and warp gates). At the start of a new game, the /search command is used to find all ships, and delete the ones inside that area.

It is true that the server would need to be set to only allow purchasing with credits. However, I think players would be able to work around that with shipyards.

Is it possible to have a star system locked?
    Locked in what way? There is a plan to have a defined area for the battleground to take player (and players cannot leave it).
    What about 3 star systems, if you were to have a setup spanning 3 sectors? (gives you detection about enemy assaults into your space then).
    At the moment the map can be as big as starmade can handle (you can span as many systems as you like). Though I plan to lock it down to a specific area (3 star system diameter from the map center is the current plan).
    ICan you edit the galaxy map, to have just three systems? Custom backgrounds? Place stars, planets, and asteroid belt spawning points?
    Afraid custom backgrounds, and modifying the placement of stars, planets, etc are beyond the capabilities of the mod :(. A map at this time can only choose what stations, and ships to put at a given set of coordinates.

Can we move inital starting credits to the map not the server?

Also what is the value option math?
    So the value of a station is v in the below equation for determining how many credits players get per unit of time:

c : credits given to a given player
    v : Total value of all stations owned by player's faction (generally Bases are worth 1, and control points are worth .5)
    m : credit multiplier (set in ares.cfg)
    p : Total number of players in the player's faction
    a : number of players in the game
    c = (v * m)/p * a

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    fixed above post.

m is the credit multiplier set in the ares.cfg file (default is 8000)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Howdy,
    I'm going to open the server up next week Saturday (Jan 23) from noon to 5pm MST.

The main feature of this will be the a new map breach. The primary feature in this map is to encourage boarding your enemy's base.

New Map: Breach
    The Map is fairly strait forward each player owning a single base. Each base has a high shield capacity, and shield regeneration, making it difficult (but not impossible) to destroy with ships. The recommended method for attacking and destroying your opponent's base is to overload the shield generators for the enemy base. This is done by boarding, and pressing the overload button on the 4 shield generators in the base. Each shield generator provides shield regeneration for the base. If all of the shield generators are destroyed, the base loses all of it's shield regeneration.

Secondarily, once all 4 shield generators are destroyed, the forcefields surrounding the faction block deactivate. Thus allowing players easy access to torch the faction block to death.

Other features:
    - Players now spawn inside their respective stations spawn points instead of an arbitrary position outside
    - Game will now auto-reset after 15 minutes if no players are online
    - Auto balancing if teams are uneven
    - Lots of polishing

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Server is now open:
    In the server list as 'Ares Battleground'. Or connect to pebble.dynalias.net:4242

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Hello. :P Just wondering how fleets would work with this mod active. XD Seems like it'd turn into a real late game brawl with huge fleets coming in to attack.

Az14el

Definitely not a skywanderers dev
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Hows the state of the mod at moment? Planning to rope some friends in for some whitelisted games sometime and see how things go, i really like the idea :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    The mod should be fully functional with the current starmade version. Thee mod itself should be fairly complete in terms of features. I've been somewhat reluctant to tall this beta until starmade itself reaches a beta format.

The biggest issue right now (and it may have actually been fixed in the newer versions of starmade) is the chance of a ship's turrets getting bugged in such a state that they ate unattackable (shots go strait through it) after the ship the turret is attached to is removed from overheating.

Definitely let me know if you run into any issues.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    The mod should be fully functional with the current starmade version. Thee mod itself should be fairly complete in terms of features. I've been somewhat reluctant to tall this beta until starmade itself reaches a beta format.

The biggest issue right now (and it may have actually been fixed in the newer versions of starmade) is the chance of a ship's turrets getting bugged in such a state that they ate unattackable (shots go strait through it) after the ship the turret is attached to is removed from overheating.

Definitely let me know if you run into any issues.
    Ahh the ghost entity glitch. Yeah they are problematic to say the least.

Az14el

Definitely not a skywanderers dev
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    cockblocked because i dont want to learn linux (though I know it's insanely accessible once you do learn it)
    gonna get someone competent to help me out on that front when I can get onto them, and in the meantime just camp thread for the next time the servers goin lol

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Just wondering how progress on reviving this mod is going?