Ares mod

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    did you ever play it back in 2015? It was so fun and very very balanced (I'm sure youd win everytime solo though lol).

Heres a boarding encounter I had with kupu back then:
    Haha, i remember this match! Good fun, despite not knowing what the heck was going on. :D

Reactions: aceface

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Haha, i remember this match! Good fun, despite not knowing what the heck was going on. :D
    See, you're not even a hard-boiled PvP player and still had fun. Ares mod kinda reminds me of Robocraft where you also build your own warmachines and then go blast each other in an arena. Tho in this case with the sector system and spaceship combat it's more like Fractured Space or Dreadnought. Still, can't deny the value of the opportunity to have some purposeful PvP with equal footing at the beginning (both teams have the same starting budget so no one can drop an Overcompensator-class supertitan) and solid goals (conquering the enemy base instead of just some deathmatch) with various tactical and strategic options (taking mining bases to overwhelm them with superior economy or bringing a salvager to get extra income from selling blocks from wrecks)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Alright,
    I should have time next weekend (Oct 21 & 22) to admin the server. It may not need an admin, but I'd still like to be there in case any new bugs come up.

Are there any particular times people want to start (one of the bug issues in the past has been getting people on at the same time). If not I'll just pick a time to start up the server and keep it up for the weekend.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    It's debatable for me since I get homework nuked into 0 weekend. >.>

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Offered the server to be co admin with AceFace and DestroyerOfWorlds. if the current setup plays well, i would hope to insite new mod creation for stard and new map/ gameplay for Ares mod.
    Jeryia, most of the info hasent changed since you last connected to the server, but message me if you want to gain control again.

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    IP and servername plz?

Also, if you would be so kind and hype the f*** out of it in and around the forums :P

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    IP and servername plz?

Also, if you would be so kind and hype the f*** out of it in and around the forums :P
    check server list ;)
    [doublepost=1507900215,1507900158][/doublepost]73.159.93.208:4242
    [doublepost=1507900381][/doublepost]will probs make some promotional vids etc

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    my ares server is up. but we need to make all new maps for it again.
    [doublepost=1507870997,1507869194][/doublepost]And the first map is cleaned of pirates and other stations.
    Thanks Assin9,
    I appreciate you taking the time to run the server. If you'll run a server, I don't see any point in myself running one next week.
    Do the ones that ship with Ares not work right in some way? Or are you referring to the maps you or others created. One of the fixes I pushed in the latest release fixed an issue where the pirates would attack the neutral stations they where guarding.
    As always if you run into issues or have things you want to see added/changed in StarD or Ares feel free to let me know.

Offered the server to be co admin with AceFace and DestroyerOfWorlds. if the current setup plays well, i would hope to insite new mod creation for stard and new map/ gameplay for Ares mod.
    Jeryia, most of the info hasent changed since you last connected to the server, but message me if you want to gain control again.
    If there's interest, I'm happy to work more on Ares and StarD(it sounds like there may be). I'll note that I have been continuing to work on StarD, but not as heavily as in the past. My focus lately has been to write python/bash libraries for StarD with the hope of luring developers to write mods for StarD. I know that perl has become a obscure language, and StarD was written to be able to allow mods to be written in virtually any language.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    The only problems were with ring of death map. it was too close to the sun.

changed shop spawn rate to 0 and have to manually delete all stations from the star system that is used for the map.

had started having maps use other star-system for star color and size changes. or to have different features like planets and asteroids.

G

GDPR 302420

During most recent game I had noted 2 issues.

1. The system was clogged with random NPC stations, if there was a way to remove them on generation to avoid confusion that would be amazing

2. In a recent game involving myself, Aceface, Benevolent and Matt_Bradock, after my team (Beta) had one by destroying the hostile base, tge game had failed to register as ended, Aceface had to log into an admin account and manually reset the game.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor

1. The system was clogged with random NPC stations, if there was a way to remove them on generation to avoid confusion that would be amazing

2. In a recent game involving myself, Aceface, Benevolent and Matt_Bradock, after my team (Beta) had one by destroying the hostile base, tge game had failed to register as ended, Aceface had to log into an admin account and manually reset the game.
    Ahh so that's what you were saying was broken. Didn't understand initially. You must destroy the faction block. This makes it so that boarding parties can also beat the base.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    how was the gameplay? smooth? server should run like silk with only one starsystem being used.
    [doublepost=1507913662,1507913513][/doublepost]The extra npc stations is a known problem. I normally would have cleared all the maps of extra stations, prior to loading the public addressing .

But at 2AM, i was not ready to continue that.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    hmm maybe make it so there's only two NPC Factions, one for each team? Than just eliminate the rest of them and limit them to 1 system on each side of the game map's system. :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen

First issue is something I need to start automating. As Assin9 said, the admin curently needs to clean the area of stations. I'll look into making this more automated.

On the second topic, was the faction block destroyed? Unfortunately I have not had any luck with getting a reliable event trigger for the station overheating. The current triggers for a base being destroyed are Faction Module destroyed, despawn, or it's owner changes. Though if it despawns from overheating the game should end.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I deleted the default station blueprints and started a new world, just need to find a way to force a map clear as the station locations still show up.

also, need to find the setting in stard to increase the starmade running ram size.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    First issue is something I need to start automating. As Assin9 said, the admin curently needs to clean the area of stations. I'll look into making this more automated.

On the second topic, was the faction block destroyed? Unfortunately I have not had any luck with getting a reliable event trigger for the station overheating. The current triggers for a base being destroyed are Faction Module destroyed, despawn, or it's owner changes. Though if it despawns from overheating the game should end.
    i believe the faction block wasnt destroyed. i think it ought to stay that way because then you can have infantry to stuff to win :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I deleted the default station blueprints and started a new world, just need to find a way to force a map clear as the station locations still show up.

Also, need to find the setting in stard to increase the starmade running ram size.
    I'll look into the default station issue. Though I'd bet a /load_sector_range might be able to clear entire areas of them if there are no default blueprints. Regardless, I'll play with it this afternoon.

For setting available ram:
    On Red hat based systems (Fedora, Centos, SUSE) you'll find it in /etc/sysconfig/stard.
    On debian based systems (Ubuntu, Debian, Mint) you'll find it in /etc/defaults/stard.

i believe the faction block wasnt destroyed. i think it ought to stay that way because then you can have infantry to stuff to win :)
    I wouldn't remove the function of removing the faction block as a way to achieve victory, just add station overheat as another way bases can be defeated as a more timely way to win(instead of waiting for the overheat timer).

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I'll look into the default station issue. Though I'd bet a /load_sector_range might be able to clear entire areas of them if there are no default blueprints. Regardless, I'll play with it this afternoon.

For setting available ram:
    On Red hat based systems (Fedora, Centos, SUSE) you'll find it in /etc/sysconfig/stard.
    On debian based systems (Ubuntu, Debian, Mint) you'll find it in /etc/defaults/stard.

I wouldn't remove the function of removing the faction block as a way to achieve victory, just add station overheat as another way bases can be defeated as a more timely way to win(instead of waiting for the overheat timer).
    good idea (y)

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    hmm ya that Overheat Victory Clause would be nice to get working. :) Oh I wonder if there's a way to use the NPC factions as backup for low population times? o_O