Act of Aggression against StarMade Moderators

Reaction score
    You said it atleast 7 times, which is more than enough to constitute to a temp ban.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I gotta side with the moderators on this. They do their best to maintain the peace in the chat, and ensure that it\'s a decent environment. Sometimes they make mistakes, sometimes the banned person is at fault. Just let them do their jobs-they\'re doing the best they can, and they have lives too.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    Greetings folks! I believe this is a good opportunity to clear up a few things about the moderation here and what you can expect, so there\'s no further misunderstandings.

To begin, we\'re not going to lock this thread or punish Obi for opening it. Usually the correct medium for feedback on a moderator is to message his/her superior, but this seems to be aimed at the style and method of moderation at Starmade more so than a few outlying cases of power abuse.

While the EULA grants us almost total freedom and flexibility to deal with whatever situations arise, we actually have our own rules and guidelines we set for ourselves to ensure that everyone is working from the same page and with the same goals in mind. Among these rules is what you seem to be targeting, Obi; - No inciting arguments or flame wars in public chat channels or forum threads. Keep heated arguments in PMs or off this website.

What this rule means is that we can moderate people who are causing chat to erupt into negativity without actually breaking the EULA\'s explicit rules, which leaves many of the fringe cases at our discretion. If someone is being defensive, that\'s fine, but if they\'re dragging on a negative topic after the mods have warned to stop doing so... Well, not only is it covered in our guidelines and that we have the flexibility to do so according to the website\'s EULA, it is also in ignorance of the moderator\'s warning. If a moderator warns you about something, folks, don\'t do it again. If you don\'t like the mod\'s decision, send a PM to DukeofRealms about it instead of arguing a mod\'s decision and getting more attention drawn to yourself.

If you have any comments about this, feel free to use this thread, as I\'ll be keeping a steady eye on it. Just be civil.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I understand your words clearly, Furb. Yes, if there is a negative topic that is continuing it does deserve a punishment. My point I am trying to prove here is that most often in situations like these it is the victim who is punished instead of the aggressors. Why not both or just the aggressor(s)? I feel it was time to act upon this since I have seen rarely to none have only the aggressor being banned. I ask if the moderators could change their style a bit and look into the eyes of one of us.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    I believe that the very second that someone responds negatively to antagonization they effectively become one of the offending parties. If they remain stoic while the other offenders continue, then the offenders can be moderated on the basis of harassment. Try to keep in mind that \'having too much pride\' can cause problems when interacting with others.

Reaction score
    To point the finger at FURB is to undermine our arugement entirely and that can\'t be.

there is legitimate issues, there is topics that need to be addressed, but if we blame everyone we will dilute our arguement.

Reaction score
    what about when the mods are doing the antagonising?

mod enters chat

WarSong: tao stfu

tells everyone to stfu

WarSong: cyber tao welcome to the ban list for being yourself

people ask questions

people get banned for asking questions

22:00
    dsgraves
    no i mean how is asking why someone was banned a bannable offense?

22:01
    WarSong
    because it has always been agaisnt the rules to question the actions of a mod on duty. and we;re still discussing it aren\'t we? are we done here mr graves?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Oh yes, of course. Anyone who responds is immediately part of the conflict. I also agree with the fact that if the opposers continue to harass that they will be punished. Although, I\'ve been in many conflicts and have seen many situations in which the victim attempts to defend but then turns out having a large rant, as if two people were looking at each other in the eye sternly and yelling with a megaphone, and I believe those situations must result in a punishments to both instead of just one.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Firstly, I;d like to apoligize for what happened, seeing as it all started with me telling Warsong to back off basically x-x Snowballed so fast o Ao

I actually dont mind how chat is moderated much, and I would think the mods have their hands full.

But you can not force a Hot Topic to end. There is a Major(ish) war happening on illusive, so there will be some shitslinging, but you cant really tell us to not talk about it.

Although PMs sound ideal, I think the idea is to bring it to peoples attention (throwing blame/scandals) or to see what everyone else thinks. Debates can be considered arguements as well to a degree :/

Also, its sorta dumb to expect people to stop on a dime. You cant slap someone in public and expect them to not retaliate in public as well. If you can distract a person or redirect their anger towards yourself (or something), it can simmer down rather quickly .-. (I once did it to Kro~)

I\'m probably over stepping my bounds a little again, but the fact of the matter is Public chat is fluid, yet doesnt easily comform to its container. One Topic one day could go just fine, and be disastrous the next; depends on who is online and if Mods are around when it starts to escalate. Events also change over time, and peope veiw those differently and may very well end up in an arguement needing intervention, but at the same time, if it was only ever dealt with in PM\'s, then I would expect mods to be regularly invited to said PMs due to harrassment :x

Its a Tricky place to be in, but to hard counter the chat would likely splinter the community after a while (I gained Respect for Comr4de after listening to him deal with flamers on public), and possibly isolate certain factions due to current events

i.e; Faction 1 is at war with Faction 2; Faction 1 cant enter Public cause many of faction 2\'s members are on there and would cause arguements.

I dunno, this may all sound like Gibberish o3o Probably is, I\'m just writing down my thoughts o/

Reaction score
    21:56
    dsgraves
    Not trying to make an issue, sorry. I was just trying to get Occarina unbanned

21:56
    WarSong
    he was about to be until i got this PM
    you\'ve sucessfully extended his ban

warsong extends one persons ban, because of the actions of another, this is espicially good.

Reaction score
    I don\'t even have issue with mods enterting chat, out of the blue, and misunderstanding a heated topic as an arguement and trying to end it.

I have issue when \"everyone stfu\" is that mods way of trying to do it, the mod loses respect by not himself being respectful, how is \"shut the fuck up\" a way to talk to people, when depending on the time of day, \"fuck\" can get you banned yourself? why was \"hey guys calm down\" dismissed as a way to talk to people?

18:36

WarSong

oh yes, excessive caps and cursing are on the list, eula violations and if you are being generally unpleasant you are subject to moderation

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I see this commonly from WarSong (clearly) and possibly Zyrr. Some mods although do not abuse their own rules, like Furb. I\'m glad we can talk about this appropriately, by the way, Furb.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    Thanks for the reply, I tried my best to understand what you\'re getting at.

Pubchat does sometimes emulate a a fluid and living ecology, but I don\'t think that should get in the way of direct moderation. If chat is too slippery, even a \'precision bombing\' of a problem could turn into a \'carpet bombing\', which is why people shouldn\'t directly challenge a moderator\'s actions as they\'re happening. You can always send a PM to their superiors. (DukeofRealms is the most direct superior to the moderator team)

Reaction score
    Dont get me involved, i was banned for no apparent reason whatsoever, I didnt say anything until immediately AS the mod said not to...
    EDIT: I still havent been unbanned, to be clear

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    By the way, you should have a message waiting for you in your PMs pertaining to that.

Reaction score
    I see that and understand but I haven\'t done anything wrong for all I know, I did not know we weren\'t suppose to do that until after I said it anyway. The point is, I\'m still banned from chat and you said i wasn\'t.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    Please read the last sentence of the message, it should go something like this:

If you are still unable to connect to chat, please send me a separate private message with your IP.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Oh, and fire, I see your mod edit. I would\'ve known the information if it wasn\'t immediate.