A real walker!

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Could you PLEASE correct the title of your thread? It makes me cringe every time I read it.

Actually, not exually

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Could you PLEASE correct the title of your thread? It makes me cringe every time I read it.

Actually, not exually
    I always speed-read thread titles, and I keep seeing this as "a walker that sexually walks"

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Here is a whirling glimpse of my compact Ranger Prototype:

Here is the principle behind it's operation in action:

It is capable of both forwards and backwards traversal, complete with a 90 degree steering system. To fix the problem with the doors not lining up with the pre-made holes, I actually make the forcefields turn twice, Once when closed, and a second time open. This ensures that the forcefields are aligned properly by the time you turn again. The entire mechanism is very compact, only being 2 tall. In theory, this should be able to traverse relatively hilly terrain. I say in theory because I haven't had time to test just yet. When I do, I will be sure to show you guys some clips.

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I don't have the time or energy right now, but would it be possible to make a system where it constantly walks by having a tread like device? Right now almost everyone's contraptions are spending half their time waiting for their leg to return to the front so it can propel them again, but with some effort (and probably cannons instead of salvagers or beams) you could make it constantly move.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I don't have the time or energy right now, but would it be possible to make a system where it constantly walks by having a tread like device? Right now almost everyone's contraptions are spending half their time waiting for their leg to return to the front so it can propel them again, but with some effort (and probably cannons instead of salvagers or beams) you could make it constantly move.
    I'm on it with me caaaar.

Actually, not exually
    Oh god! I'm like a bad English speaking scientist you see in a movie :confused:
    I made this thread when I didn't have spelling check addon yet, expect better from me starting now.

Reactions: aceface and Keptick

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I'm on it with me caaaar.

Oh god! I'm like a bad English speaking scientist you see in a movie :confused:
    I made this thread when I didn't have spelling check addon yet, expect better from me starting now.
    You recognize your mistake and fixed it, unlike 99% of the internet, that's more than enough for me, thanks :P.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Purchased!
    Current Progress:

Got it somewhat stable, But I'll have to reiterate a few times. It has a bad habit of flipping over, and you can break the system by ordering a turn before it is safe, thus breaking the mechanism. I am putting this project to rest for the moment to try to finish the battleship, but soon I will have a second prototype ready for testing.

Reactions: Planr and Rumcajz
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Current Progress:

Got it somewhat stable, But I'll have to reiterate a few times. It has a bad habit of flipping over, and you can break the system by ordering a turn before it is safe, thus breaking the mechanism. I am putting this project to rest for the moment to try to finish the battleship, but soon I will have a second prototype ready for testing.
    same for me need some rest with thinking and stuff

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Another development! I present you: a gear.

The gif got cut off too early so I'll just say what happens next:
    I press the wireless button and the whole arm undocks, I then quickly press an activator to make the robot walk again. The arm is left in the gear slot (plus the little hanging thing) to keep the door up while the robot races to the finish

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Purchased!
    You have a gear in a voxel game? Heresy! Seriously though, I would have never thought of that. :) Looks like your setting up an obstacle course. ;)

Weird, It seems I never posted this thing on any thread that I remember. Better late than never:

The Mechaplatform MKI. It is months old by now, but a reliable design. Perhaps my finest work as far as walkers go.
    It's reliability comes from the fact that when you turn it, it uses an error checking system to determine the direction you are actually facing. If it does break(very rare) you just turn the head again and it will realign itself. That way it does not get stuck walking sideways.

Proof that it can turn:
    CC: MechaplatformMKI

Fun fact: I had a power outage while I was trying to make this post.

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    QQ, why does everyone use two-step start/stop motion? Is there some glitchyness with constant motion or something?

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Purchased!
    I don't think it is more glitchy, it just takes up more space. Not to mention the added complexity.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    well the walker is already able to walk over little elevation

[DOUBLEPOST=1440675306,1440674945][/DOUBLEPOST]
    higher elevation....
    Ooooh dang, this is a really large step for the mech industry in Starmade. Good job!

It just needs to jump now, then it can get over the large gaps! :P

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Ooooh dang, this is a really large step for the mech industry in Starmade. Good job!

It just needs to jump now, then it can get over the large gaps! :p
    I tried making it jump forward but.....

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Why do you not try caterpillar designs?

XY|. 012345678 Z|
    01|. T–T–––T–T .|sticks going backward.
    11|. T–T–––T–T .| sticks
    10|. | | . | | .| holes

You would have 2 fixed feets, one which is fixing in front and one which is detaching at rear.

The one thing I really like to see is salvage/astrotech beams which place the block in your inventory and which salvage/place an exact amount of blocks.

Now, I have no real incentive to make walkers which could also walk on rails (cities), but if they could terraform, then i make some!

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Purchased!
    Why do you not try caterpillar designs?

XY|. 012345678 Z|
    01|. T–T–––T–T .|sticks going backward.
    11|. T–T–––T–T .| sticks
    10|. | | . | | .| holes

You would have 2 fixed feets, one which is fixing in front and one which is detaching at rear.

The one thing I really like to see is salvage/astrotech beams which place the block in your inventory and which salvage/place an exact amount of blocks.

Now, I have no real incentive to make walkers which could also walk on rails (cities), but if they could terraform, then i make some!
    Ah, I seem to recall that when I was working on crawlers, I was trying to make them as compact as possible. I had considered the possibility of using something like this, but it would have been too large at the time. Still, I would like to experiment with this some time.

Also, the block re-placers were suggested, however much of the community had decided that such a system would be prone to abuse. To my knowledge it was not brought up again.

On a side note, your post as prompted me to finally reboot my logic experiments. I think finishing project Chrosis and putting the Cortex up would be a good start.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    There could be a decorative block which works as block-placer when in decorative mode or single-player.
    But it should be off by default on multiplayer.

Perhaps the abilities for abuse are smaller since we have limited cargo space.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Purchased!
    There could be a decorative block which works as block-placer when in decorative mode or single-player.
    But it should be off by default on multiplayer.

Perhaps the abilities for abuse are smaller since we have limited cargo space.
    This looks like something that we should revisit in the suggestion threads. It might actually have new relevance since the chunk update came out.