A real walker!

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If you read this for the first time please check the date below this post. This was long ago and my English wasn't as good as it is now. The level of English increases starting from mid page 3.

i wanted to show you a GIF, but the starmade forum doesn't allow me to put starmade made GIFs on the forum. then i wanted to show you screenshots but the screenshots made with the starmade screenshot thing are too big for the starmade forum.

thanks therimmer96

Last edited:

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Upload them to imgur, and hotlink them.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Upload them to imgur, and hotlink them.

there we go! now this is already an old version, atm i have a way more stable and reliable version.
    i just want to send this out to the experimenters to see what they can make with it.
    i believe i am the first one to discover this, not sure though.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Trekkerjoe
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I love it! It looks like a drunken spider for some reason xD

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    no we just need planets that are big enough for battles! Then there should be competitions for Mechs :)
    Awesome stuff !

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    http://imgur.com/vFAY43P

there we go! now this is already an old version, atm i have a way more stable and reliable version.
    i just want to send this out to the experimenters to see what they can make with it.
    i believe i am the first one to discover this, not sure though.
    That's really clever and funny, good job :P

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Purchased!
    That is a very clever system! I was building a battleship, wondering if I would have a specialized hangar for spider tanks. Yep, if you can put a turret on it without it glitching out, I will certainly carry an entire platoon of spider tanks.

EDIT: Looks like the kind of stuff that can go in your Rail Show Off Thread.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Hahahah thats awesome
    I love it! It looks like a drunken spider for some reason xD
    no we just need planets that are big enough for battles! Then there should be competitions for Mechs :)
    Awesome stuff !
    That's really clever and funny, good job :p
    That is a very clever system! I was building a battleship, wondering if I would have a specialized hangar for spider tanks. Yep, if you can put a turret on it without it glitching out, I will certainly carry an entire platoon of spider tanks.

EDIT: Looks like the kind of stuff that can go in your Rail Show Off Thread.
    a quote for everyone to see my stable version:

research continues on for a multilevel movable walker.

Last edited:

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    ingenious! Who would have thought you could use salvagers like that.
    Awesome

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    well the walker is already able to walk over little elevation

[DOUBLEPOST=1440675306,1440674945][/DOUBLEPOST]
    higher elevation....

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    just for the ones curius, it is turret competable

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Purchased!
    YESSSSSSS THEY FIXED THAT BUG!!!!! *Ahem* Exemplary job! Have a cookie.

I'm off to rebuild my mecha arsenal next time I get a chance, so exiting! The battleship can go on hold for now.

Reactions: HolyCookie
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    now i do need a way to turn, anyone up for a brainstorm.
    i already have 1 idea, i put the walker leg onto a rotor, whenever i need to change direction, i stop movement and rotate the leg 90 degrees
    anyone has suggestions for a better turning?

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Purchased!
    I was actually going to suggest a similar system. You don't necessarily have to stop moving to turn: you could queue the turn in memory, and have the leg wait until it is slotted into the ground, then turn in addition to the original animation. This would prevent loss of speed. A pulse sent back from the rotor to the memory circuit could reset it so it doesn't turn more than once. You also could probably turn at 45 degree angles without a problem if you use a four-spoked leg. In addition to this, I recommend you make a separate steering animation for when you are stationary.

If you have a turret, you can try to control from the turret using ship remotes and wireless logic.

The real difficulty will be in steering upright walkers rather than crawlers. You would have to either keep balance for a biped, or find a good way to rotate for a hexapod.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I was actually going to suggest a similar system. You don't necessarily have to stop moving to turn: you could queue the turn in memory, and have the leg wait until it is slotted into the ground, then turn in addition to the original animation. This would prevent loss of speed. A pulse sent back from the rotor to the memory circuit could reset it so it doesn't turn more than once. You also could probably turn at 45 degree angles without a problem if you use a four-spoked leg. In addition to this, I recommend you make a separate steering animation for when you are stationary.

If you have a turret, you can try to control from the turret using ship remotes and wireless logic.

The real difficulty will be in steering upright walkers rather than crawlers. You would have to either keep balance for a biped, or find a good way to rotate for a hexapod.
    though you come with a few good suggestions, the 45 degree is impossible with these legs.
    no matter how many legs you have, it will not fit
    upload_2015-8-28_15-38-54.png

and for the mechanism to work, it needs to fit. this brings me to the next problem:
    the deployment. Deploying this crawler isn't what you think it is, I need to set up a rail and dock the crawler to it.
    then start the animation and wait for it to go down, at that moment I drop the crawler and it will be aligned to the planet blocks.
    Now this is pretty annoying if we ever want to use this for real. I haven't come up with a way to drop the crawler straight in the right position. using a different kind of block at the end of the leg could make it possible to move 45 degrees or not need it to align.
    but this would make the leg dramatically longer.

About the walker, sometimes it just needs to look like turning, it doesn't need to be a real turning.
    for example you can put the movement part on a rotor, this will make the main body move. then you have 2 legs.
    1 lets you move left and right, 1 lets you move forwards and backwards.

now I do have an idea for auto navigation, but it would be rather counting and implementing.
    I'd count how many times the leg has to drag the frame until it reaches the other side, then I let it move a few steps to the left/right
    and then it would start moving backwards X amount of steps.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Purchased!
    though you come with a few good suggestions, the 45 degree is impossible with these legs.
    no matter how many legs you have, it will not fit

and for the mechanism to work, it needs to fit.
    You just need a bigger slot for the leg:

I will try to come up with some examples soon(or I'll see what you mean).
    this brings me to the next problem:
    the deployment. Deploying this crawler isn't what you think it is, I need to set up a rail and dock the crawler to it.
    then start the animation and wait for it to go down, at that moment I drop the crawler and it will be aligned to the planet blocks.
    Now this is pretty annoying if we ever want to use this for real. I haven't come up with a way to drop the crawler straight in the right position. using a different kind of block at the end of the leg could make it possible to move 45 degrees or not need it to align.
    but this would make the leg dramatically longer.
    As for the deployment, It really sounds like an obnoxious problem. I will see if I can devise some workaround. However, due to work, It won't be for a little while. Perhaps you could add spikes to the end of the foot? Then you might not have to be so precise.

I am looking forward to your autonavigation system. Sounds like I could have robotic tanks patrolling an area. Perhaps with the right infrastructure, you could even potentially command them from you carrier in typical RTS fashion. I smell my next major project...

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    You just need a bigger slot for the leg:

I will try to come up with some examples soon(or I'll see what you mean).

As for the deployment, It really sounds like an obnoxious problem. I will see if I can devise some workaround. However, due to work, It won't be for a little while. Perhaps you could add spikes to the end of the foot? Then you might not have to be so precise.

I am looking forward to your autonavigation system. Sounds like I could have robotic tanks patrolling an area. Perhaps with the right infrastructure, you could even potentially command them from you carrier in typical RTS fashion. I smell my next major project...
    of course you stupid cookie! how didn't I think of that!.
    you just cracked 2 major problems in this research! 1: turning. 2: deploying.
    now all that matters is to deploy the crawler in a way that it will land with the right way up.

about the navigation system, it wouldn't be really programmable, because you need to count how many steps he needs to take.
    that would make a sort of treasure map, now go 10 steps forward. and then I am talking about manually programming.
    though commanding them around wouldn't be the hardest thing, as you would make them turn by hand.
    Also, my idea for a multileveled crawler/walker went into the trash bin. this would be mostly impossible, that's why I will be concentrating on other things. for leveling problems, I will make the crawler pretty long/wide and it will have an option for salvage beams on the front, to delete any uneven terrain, though I could also change this into that the crawler will actually mine it's way up. first I will go for commanding, then i will need to make some sort of detection thing. but first i need to test something out containing warheads and a crawler.....