A New "Wave" [Pirate Ship Community Contest]

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    I was asking because two of my ships aren't really suitable for dealing with smaller ships (They have trouble hitting stuff <10000 mass) but do really well against much larger ships.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Hmm, well, I guess I'll connect some of my guns to each other and have less shots firing, but presumably doing more damage. Most of my mass is taken up on making my ships look 'we-could-very-nearly-have-looked-cool'
    ;)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I'm probably going to be doing a quick one-up of a couple of my craft over the next couple days, if that's still permitted of course.

Reaction score
    The more I see of these awesome entries the more I want to participate, but I'm absolutely terrible at small ship design.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Very nearly done, just need to finish up my last fighter.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    This is my corvette, currently a pirate on the EE server.
    But it's 3.7k mass... your corvettes are all too small! :P

The capturing of one!

It was basically a remodel of the same ship, with the interior cut out, and armor changed to standard.
    Here is my original:

Eh, I'll throw some interior in here as well. It's all in a spoiler after all.

That's the hanger and a little commons area/junction. The Hanger has a door in the back that leads to engineering and cargo, and the Command bridge/Captains quarters. The opening to the front has 3 doors. The 2 blast doors on either side of the room lead up to an airlock and decorative gunnery stations. The plex door with glass leads to a ramp up to the second floor. The ship has 4 decks to it, and the room list includes (not corridors):
    -Hanger Bay
    -Commons Area
    -Engineering (with jump drive and overdrive passive effect)
    -Cargo Bay
    -2 Gunnery rooms next to the airlocks.
    -Command Bridge (decorative, with the weapons computers)
    -Tactical Bridge (core room with defensive effects)
    -Cockpit
    -Military style crew accommodations, 4 tubes with hotbunking.
    -Medbay with bedspace for one. It is against regulations to use the medbay bed instead of the crew tubes.
    -Captains quarters next to the Command Bridge.

After gutting basically all of that for the pirate version, it actually is a fearsome and dangerous ship. Took around 3 weeks to build.

It being basically my first ship, looking back I can tell that it needs more detail like antenna and other small bits added to break up the flatness of some spots. Also, not satisfied with the turrets on the pirate version. I guess they are there to divert the first round of heatseakers to not hitting the main ship itself, so it can keep firing at you for a few more seconds. Those pull and stop effects don't really do much anyways, and the Pleb Defense is easily overwhelmed.

Reactions: Cyco_Reaper
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    That all looks cool MA, though you are right, the competition rules kept us limited.

I'm just going to download Mariux's ships now, see how woefully underpowered I made my own! :)

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    That all looks cool MA, though you are right, the competition rules kept us limited.

I'm just going to download Mariux's ships now, see how woefully underpowered I made my own! :)
    Thanks. My ships aren't very OP either as I spent a lot of attention towards looks.

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    I ran into some trouble testing my ships, from what i can tell the AI always switches turrets to target "any" even if they're set to "missiles", so my ams turrets end up draining the ships' capacitors leading to permanent power failure :( This is a problem for two of my ships, and i'm not sure what to do. If pirates can't use AMS at this time then simply removing the turrets will fix it, but that also makes them extremely vulnerable to swarmers and lock ons.

Can you get pirates to use the turrets correctly somehow? The ships work fine as long as the turrets are in AMS mode.

Also posting pics of 4th ship, 5th is well over halfway complete:

More pics here:
    http://imgur.com/a/CUaZO

Also made the shipyard thread, although it's very WIP right now, can still see it here: http://starmadedock.net/threads/preserver-alliance-pirate-faction.7059/

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    By the way I've fixed Coyote not loading on the release version. Just hope I'm not too late