Who's Bright Idea was this?!

Reaction score
    To remove asteroid and planet respawning? Are humans not capable of critical thought? You are asking to kill the new player base.

Here I'll give you a scenario real quick. Faction A. Establishes at beginning of server life. Faction B joins halfway through server life. Faction A mines everyday for 3 straight months and cleans an area roughly 3k KM in area. Faction B gets 200k credits to start off and makes one salvager. However must now travel 3k KM to get an asteroid to start building a base. Now lets repeat this 3-4 times assuming there is only 6 major factions in a game.

It takes 30mins with a 8:1 jump drive ratio just to clear 4k KM. Each faction would need to be 4k KM away from each other to ensure they have enough resources to even start up (assuming the server still has default multipliers). With the average server life lasting around 6 months if everyone stays within 3 galaxies. Youll have roughly a 5 minute autosave and a few crashes. Now genx is at 300GB of memory for their database using only 3 galaxies and are at their 5th month. If players need to continously expand due to resources becoming more and more scarce.

Faction A will encroach on starting faction B, battles will follow and resources lost. Faction B must now travel 30 mins one way to get resources and 30 minutes back. With each pass taking longer as asteroids and planets disappear. Faction A now attacks faction B,C,D Etc. Faction B gets tired of traveling 2 hours 1 way to get resources and goes bankrupt unable to buy resources.

Now all the factions are looking at a 1 hour flight time just to attack another if that faction leaves their home base. All factions leave game due to grind simulator 3000.

TL:DR with asteroids not respawning, players must put more strain on hardware by traveling further to gain resources. Killing mining companies, logistics and warfare.

Suggestions:
    Allow asteroids to respawn every restart (6-12hrs) or give control to server owners over resource respawn times.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    The asteroids respawning was actually a bug, which could be really really exploited by making custom asteroids. So it's a good thing that it was fixed.

The problem is that they didn't implement a proper asteroid respawn mechanic, so it kind messed up the economy...

Good news though, I heard that planet mining lag was fixed for the next release :D

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Asteroids respawn in EVE but not here which can become a legitimate issue.

Reaction score
    The asteroids respawning was actually a bug, which could be really really exploited by making custom asteroids. So it's a good thing that it was fixed.

The problem is that they didn't implement a proper asteroid respawn mechanic, so it kind messed up the economy...

Good news though, I heard that planet mining lag was fixed for the next release :D
    Bad news is we're running out of planets

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Asteroids respawn in EVE but not here which can become a legitimate issue.
    Uh... what?

"Asteroids respawn in EvE, but not in Starmade, so it's a problem"
    Wtf kind of logical fallacy is that? This game isn't EvE, your argument makes literally no sense.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1443543851,1443543701][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Bad news is we're running out of planets
    Well, you can't really run out of planets. But as you said, it requires going further and further away to get them. Getting the admins to set up protected inter-galactic warp gates could help, I guess. Still, we need a sustainable source of materials, badly.

Reactions: Raisinbat
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think this thread addresses your concerns with alternatives to the previous asteroid spawning behavior.
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/asteroid-spawning-and-balancing-mining.20274/

My suggestions within that thread:
    Asteroid re-spawn method:

When a system reaches a low enough asteroid entity density, new asteroids will be spawned in that system gradually as a function of how far it is from a wormhole, simulating matter being flung from the wormhole to come to rest in an asteroid orbit. This only happens to systems with the yellow asteroid orbitals.

Have the player actually be required to find the ore and then place a salvager module next to it, then link it to the salvage computer. Rate of production determined by how many ore blocks you have touching a salvage module.

Yes the ore blocks would remain and production would be based on a timer so the sector would not be required to be loaded to harvest ore. Instead of lag inducing block removal you would instead be traveling to your mining operations to gather ore and there's no reason it couldn't be applied to asteroids as well.

Seeing as massive block removal causes so much lag, allow players to use a mining beam instead:
    -Fires only one beam.
    -Collects only ore/shards.
    -Does not have to hit the ore block, as the beam strikes an entity it is scanned for ore at a rate dependent on the number of mining modules.

Either option would remove the need for lag bomb automated salvage beam arrays.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Uh... what?

Wtf kind of logical fallacy is that? This game isn't EvE, your argument makes literally no sense.
    I'm pointing out that if they didn't respawn the economy in that game would be fucked which might just happen here if a server's universe gets old enough.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Uh... what?

[DOUBLEPOST=1443543851,1443543701][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Well, you can't really run out of planets. But as you said, it requires going further and further away to get them. Getting the admins to set up protected inter-galactic warp gates could help, I guess. Still, we need a sustainable source of materials, badly.
    I think the reason being that EVE has an economy that actually works.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Yeah but EVE's asteroids need to respawn because they do not have an infinite universe. All of their resources would be cleared out in a week. It was most definitely a bug that asteroids were respawning.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    However when the faction system was announced it was also revealed that factions would be able to refill asteroid belts using FP

T-that's still coming, right?

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    However when the faction system was announced it was also revealed that factions would be able to refill asteroid belts using FP

T-that's still coming, right?
    No idea. Random idea here but perhaps claimed territory enables you to respawn asteroids because there is "infrastructure that detects the asteroids". Just one more reason to actually try and claim space, so that you can restock on minerals. Otherwise you will be forever searching.

Reaction score
    I feel like we should have a sticky regarding asteroids/economy in general. We have a thread like this one every week, with the same questions getting asked and mostly not answered, and the answer to most of these questions is "It's an alpha" anyways.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Still hoping for mantle extractors as the solution to non-regenerating resources...

Reactions: Parameter

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Non-destructive mining options would be great.

I would still like to see multiple starting spawn areas; widely dispersed homeworlds, if you will. Maybe in different corners of the same starting galaxy.

Reactions: Parameter

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Non-destructive mining options would be great.

I would still like to see multiple starting spawn areas; widely dispersed homeworlds, if you will. Maybe in different corners of the same starting galaxy.
    It would help with resource drain around spawn if there were four different spawns at each "corner" of the main galactic body (not the arms, that puts newbies too close to void space).

Reaction score
    Yeah but EVE's asteroids need to respawn because they do not have an infinite universe. All of their resources would be cleared out in a week. It was most definitely a bug that asteroids were respawning.
    Basically what I just got from this message is that the devs don't care that players have to travel 2+hr after a month or so just to get resources to work their brand new shipyards just released. If it isn't broke don't fix it. I never seen anyone complain about the asteroids respawning only that the asteroids were respawning half eaten rather than full new asteroids.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    We really just need planets to become renewable resources while asteroids get increased mineral value for
    Basically what I just got from this message is that the devs don't care that players have to travel 2+hr after a month or so just to get resources to work their brand new shipyards just released. If it isn't broke don't fix it. I never seen anyone complain about the asteroids respawning only that the asteroids were respawning half eaten rather than full new asteroids.
    The problem was what they didn't complain about the asteroid size was saved every server save so if you knew what you were doing you could go to an asteroid apply 20k cannons 20k shield rechargers 20k shield capacitors and whatever other modules you feel like you might need at the time.

Then you would let the server save the state of your "new modified" asteroid after saving you would come back and mine the whole thing and leave the sector before it had a chance to save again and the asteroid would respawn in all its 20k of each module glory.

You do see how that was a problem right?

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    It was broken. It was never intended to work that way. Players were not complaining because it was an exploit that benefited them. It allowed them to get near infinite resources with minimal effort. I know. My faction on the Starside server dragged asteroids to the base and mined. The asteroids respawned every 5 minutes if they left the sector and returned. That is frankly a bit cheapening when we are trying to get players out into the universe and claim more than just a single star system. It's not that we do not care, it's that we need to create a system where exploits are not the primary way of progressing through the game. The original idea is that asteroids respawn when factions accumulated enough faction points to spend on them. Whether this is the solution we will implement is another discussion that Schine will need to have.

Reaction score
    So the system needed a patch...not to be completely removed without any kind of alternative resource gathering.