Whats WRONG with the Community???

Reaction score
    Ok, it hought long and hard about this post. Usually im like "meh, there will be stupid replies, noone reads long posts anyway, blabla".
    But I like Starmade too much to "simply let it go" like I usually do.
    This Community is BAD. Its the worst ive ever seen in a Sandbox game.
    Why? Well, everybody seems to work for him / herself.
    It starts with Blueprints and Ships and Desings. Everyone is locked and lockable. Seriously? WHY? But it doesnt stop at Ingame-Stuff.
    There are no fancy Youtube "howtos" except for Bench, who is working for Starmade AFAIK. There are just Youtube Videos of "look what I did" and "im so great, I might share a tiny bid of my Wisdom with you".
    The Player made Wiki is heavily outdated (Rails are not THAT new).
    When it comes to modding and stuff, everything is "find it yourself or die".
    Google searches are delivering more Minecraft results than starmade.
    When it comes to server stuff this gets even worse. Noone cares to document what theyre doing and sharing with the Public.
    I know, everyone put hard work in his / her project. Youre not getting paid.
    BUT - this attitude will keep new players from joining and, exchange is a vital Part of Sandbox Games.
    This is not something the Devs screwed up. Thats a Community Issue (it starts with "WTF is the Community Council? Where is the Howto for That?)
    Take a minute and think very hard where you want starmade to be in a year. A bunch of Elitists where noone new joins and every player that leaves will be missed?

Now, a little Warning: If you decide to reply to this post, make sure you read it completely. Dont pick a single Argument to "disproove" it. You may, of course say, thats stupid. But take the whole thing into consideration. Dont link to a HowTo that might be found after reading 500 Pages of Sourcecode. You get my point. Im talking from the perspective of someone who is rather new. I have talked to a few other new people, they had the same opinion about this. It seems to be difficult.
    Another addition, im really good at "letting it go" or "walking away". You might not get a reply from me, simply because I feel people ignored the "warning" above too much. Thats ok, I guess, there are many reasons to not like a Game and while this would be a "first", community is one of them.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Ok, it hought long and hard about this post. Usually im like "meh, there will be stupid replies, noone reads long posts anyway, blabla".
    It starts with Blueprints and Ships and Desings. Everyone is locked and lockable. Seriously? WHY? But it doesnt stop at Ingame-Stuff.
    There are no fancy Youtube "howtos" except for Bench, who is working for Starmade AFAIK. There are just Youtube Videos of "look what I did" and "im so great, I might share a tiny bid of my Wisdom with you".
    When it comes to server stuff this gets even worse. Noone cares to document what theyre doing and sharing with the Public.
    BUT - this attitude will keep new players from joining and, exchange is a vital Part of Sandbox Games.
    This is not something the Devs screwed up. Thats a Community Issue (it starts with "WTF is the Community Council? Where is the Howto for That?)
    Take a minute and think very hard where you want starmade to be in a year. A bunch of Elitists where noone new joins and every player that leaves will be missed?

Now, a little Warning: If you decide to reply to this post, make sure you read it completely. Dont pick a single Argument to "disproove" it. You may, of course say, thats stupid. But take the whole thing into consideration. Dont link to a HowTo that might be found after reading 500 Pages of Sourcecode. You get my point. Im talking from the perspective of someone who is rather new. I have talked to a few other new people, they had the same opinion about this. It seems to be difficult.
    Another addition, im really good at "letting it go" or "walking away". You might not get a reply from me, simply because I feel people ignored the "warning" above too much. Thats ok, I guess, there are many reasons to not like a Game and while this would be a "first", community is one of them.
    Modding is full of people sharing. There's just nothing anyone can do to much in modding since we don't have an API.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    So: new acount, made today, complains.

Quit being a coward, use your real account. Your IP is logged either way.

Your post is drivel. I don't notice a problem with any of that.

Reactions: theamon
    Reaction score
    Im going to break the "rules" I made above to prove my Point:
    So: new acount, made today, complains.
    Quit being a coward, use your real account. Your IP is logged either way.
    Your post is drivel. I don't notice a problem with any of that.
    ChoMar

I HOPE you just got the month confused. Otherwise: People like you ARE THE PROBLEM.
    Since im already at "feeding the trolls": Thadius took one line and commented it, wich is what I was trying to avoid with the line
    If you decide to reply to this post, make sure you read it completely. Dont pick a single Argument to "disproove" it.
    Oh, and now
    Your IP is logged either way.d
    What you gonna do? You think ill get banned for this? Ohhh, thats EVIL. Since, after this two posts, the stae of the community is pretty much confirmed and honestly, FSCK.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Since im already at "feeding the trolls": Thadius took one line and commented it, wich is what I was trying to avoid with the line
    I read it all my friend. If I want to shoot only one of your points then I can.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I actually have to agree in some ways. I've noticed the community can be randomly hostile at times, mainly when people share different opinions to them though. And yeah the wiki could definitely do with an update xD

Reactions: terra mining corp.

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    SuperWookie

The official wiki is here: Starmadepedia - The Official StarMade Wiki

As far as I'm aware, it's not that outdated. The link to that wiki can be found here:

View attachment 22161

Any missing/incorrect details on the game are up for the players to contribute. It's usually kept up to date thanks to people like Crimson-Artist , Heillos and others.
    Well well well, I had always been using StarMade Wiki - The ultimate resource on StarMade haha. To be fair haven't needed it in a while though.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    SuperWookie

The official wiki is here: Starmadepedia - The Official StarMade Wiki

As far as I'm aware, it's not that outdated. The link to that wiki can be found here:

View attachment 22161

Any missing/incorrect details on the game are up for the players to contribute. It's usually kept up to date thanks to people like Crimson-Artist , Heillos and others.
    yeah,the old wiki kinda messed up the search process on google
    [DOUBLEPOST=1454717508,1454717185][/DOUBLEPOST]

well you see.. *runs away*

There are no fancy Youtube "howtos"
    well you see.. there are not a lot of people WHO DO youtube vids for starmade that CAN do fancy and easy to undestand informative videos.
    And those who can.. you cant ask them to spend <their> free time for something they are not obliged to do for you.
    the community is to small to go that far.

The Player made Wiki is heavily outdated
    on google,the old wiki pops up first,and as Dooku said..the new wiki is here: Starmadepedia - The Official StarMade Wiki

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    yeah,the old wiki kinda messed up the search process on google
    Yes, it's never been an official StarMade wiki. According to analytics on Google, the official one should rank first (unless you've been using the outdated unofficial one)

it starts with "WTF is the Community Council? Where is the Howto for That?
    2016-02-06_1310_001.png

2016-02-06_1310.png

Info on the council is in the forum header under "Council" and is also described in the council subforum.

Reactions: theamon

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    It actually is. if you have the power, send someone to go update the effect pages, namely Punch and Pierce.

It starts with Blueprints and Ships and Desings. Everyone is locked and lockable. Seriously? WHY?
    There have been serious problems (apparently) of people stealing everything, or destroying everything in a faction or something. old fashion DFN-Vaygr 'wars' hold a few examples of that.

There are no fancy Youtube "howtos" except for Bench
    The game is Alpha, and as such things are subject to change at any time. There used to be a few tutorials, but they all got outdated and needed updating, but before they could be updated it was changed again. Even a few bits of Bench's tutorials are a little outdated iirc.

But yeah, the community is a collective bitch. I mean, I'm pretty sure it would founded on 4chan or something, so dunno what to expect. Depending on what server you end up on, you'll find different kinds of collective bitching. You just kinda fine your bitch tribe and you'll be circle jerking like the rest of us in no time.

Reactions: SuperWookie

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Community Content | StarMade Dock

This is a pretty valid complaint. The only real refute I have to it is that SM is still a tiny game, and has terrible player retention (not only because of the community, but because of a lack of gameplay.)

This wiki is old and bad, I think it's the one you're talking about; StarMade Wiki - The ultimate resource on StarMade
    This one's a lot better; Starmadepedia - The Official StarMade Wiki
    And it has rails; Rail Basic - StarMade Wiki

Mods | StarMade Dock

Minecraft is massive. Starmade is miniscule. If you google information about any indy game, about the items inside of it or anything that isn't specifically just the games name, you will find a lot of stuff you didn't intend to find.

Pretty much yeah, and this is true of every game for the most part. A very small portion of any community is actually highly visible in the community. You don't see 99% of minecrafts players content, because most of it's pretty bad and even some builds that are very good never get shared because their authors/creators don't want to share them.

I don't really get the point of this one. It kinda seems like you're implying that because it's not payed, you should share what you've made. I don't really have any way to refute that off the top of my head, I'm going to have to think about this one, because I know this argument is really silly, but I just don't know which part to tackle.

I believe that actual gameplay should be a focus rather than promoting the community further than it already is. Right now there's really no reason to play the game, and other games have shown ways to retain players and grow their playerbase significantly faster than SM. From The Depths is an amazing example of this.

Blame the players not the game? Sort of. The community is toxic, but I notice that in different ways than the ones you point out.

I hope all the veterans in the current community get bored and leave and make room for new players.

If you want to learn about a gameplay mechanic, typically the best way to do that is to ask chat while it's moderately slow, and then test it in game yourself.

Reactions: Master_Artificer
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    A good amount of us are hostile and elitist, good points. Isn't this the same in all game communities?

Also, I personally have no desire to share the ships I build, is that so wrong? They are MY creations.

Starmade players kinda go through cycles when they've been playing long enough. First it's something like "this is awesome!" then they play full-bore for months then get burned out. Then there's a big update and all their ships get broken, and it's frustrating. Such is life in the alpha. Then there's "this is the best game ever" thoughts after burn out is complete, then people get impatient for updates. I don't know where exactly I'm going with this, but the circumstances of the game's development creates a certain attitude amongst the people who stick around.

If you feel community content is a problem, start some contests for public ships. Make your own tutorials on youtube.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    It starts with Blueprints and Ships and Desings. Everyone is locked and lockable. Seriously? WHY?
    Because the best designs are by factions, and they don't want their enemies to get ahold of their carefully balanced ships?

But hey, not everything is locked. FlyingDebris posted his (very good) capital ship, the Cherokee, on CC. Pretty much the best looking and best equipped armor tanker capital out there, and definitely the best public one. Jaaskinal, Tunk, AtraUnam, and Heillos have all posted exceptionally useful logic mechanisms for easy installation into ships, as well. I'm sure there's plenty of examples I'm forgetting there.
    And there's no shortage of fantastic AESTHETIC designs on the dock, either.

Again, same problem as previously. People don't want to share tech. It doesn't help that the popular SM Youtubers are pretty much all junk at systems, either. I've noticed this is a problem too, though. I'm currently working on some plans for a PvP-information-centric SM YT.

Reactions: Jaaskinal

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    I was going to sarcastic and be a complete and utter twat, but Duke is present, and we have to pretend to be nice infront of him

People used to try, but the game changes so fast that it's impossible to maintain. Logic is one of few exceptions because everything has a set function.

Mods barely exist. A few have made wrappers that do no more than parse the console and execute commands, and mega did a rudementry mod loader, but other than that and custom blocks, fuck all.

How is that our fault? Google bases search results on history and other stuff. I google starmade stuff, and see no minecraft.

Everything server related is fairly well documented, what more do you want? Server operators tend to try to keep some of the more special stuff secret because it's an advantage.

You're account was created a month ago, so you're likely around that new to the game.

Many of us have been here for years, and don't understand everything because it all changes so often. For example, I have no idea how to efficient power. All you can do is slowly learn things and keep up with dev news. Once the game changes slow, things will be more documented.